• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitten By the 4x4 Bug. Now I want one.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Thanks to everyone who are with me on this journey. I really appreciate all replies.

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      A 4x4 Storme 400 (launched just 1.5 years back) for 5-6L is kind of impossible to get as 4x4 is available only in top trim. A new one would cost close to 19L OTR in Karnataka. I think your best bet would be a 2.2L Dicor. You could however try to get a 4x4 Storme 320 that would be about 4-5 years old, by increasing budget a bit. A well maintained 2.2 Dicor should be reliable for long trips.

You could also consider Aria if Aria 4x4 had low range. Aria must be having even worse resale value, it being a flop.

I have 1.5 Year old Storme 4x4, but haven't taken it out for any off-roading yet. And i have hardly completed 8k kms in it, mostly in home-office-home duties. I think a 4x2 with a winch motor would be sufficient to get out of any sticky situation (provided you can find a tree everywhere), and 4x2 would be sufficient for trail beating.
      Sirji thanks for Jumping in. I think i've seen your videos on Youtube. That Pearl White safari was yours, right?

1.Yes Budget is not enough for storme. My Upper limit is 6L if I redeem some of my SIPs. Actually 4.5L is Much more comfortable Budget. And Most Stormes are roughly 8L. Yes Taxes and other messes have pushed prices of SUVs way too far. We always had the perception of Safari being a 13L car. 19L is very hard to believe!

2. I Believe Aria Does not have low range. Its AWD with TOD. Not enough upgrade over my XUV.

3. Owned many 4x2 SUVs in Life. They might be capable. But somewhere in the corner if my heart, I am worried about my safety and Safety of my family If i get stuck. Hence i am hell bent on 4x4 this time. It Provides that Psychological boost to go Places.
      In used market, Price difference between 4x4 and 4x2 is not much. Just that 4x4s are rare. Benefit here is that 4x4s are often owned by Enthusiasts. And If you meet a Right type of enthusiast, vehicle will be very well maintained.

I do not use cars for office duty. I walk to office since its near. My cars are often standing or Munching some serious miles. Even i10 does highway duty if required.

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Are there any places you've visited where you find your XUV500 can't go and you need a true 4x4. If you see J.Ravi's XUV, it has done all the terrains that we'd dream of doing.
      I think Sir J.Ravi has been very Lucky or has some Magic Spell for XUVs upkeep. In My experience of 4 years, Here are my observations-
      1. XUV is a Highway animal designed to Burn up Tarmac at high speeds and Munch miles as Colossal rate.

2. Reliablity of XUV is often a Hit or Miss. I've got a long List of Things Changed In warranty. Most things were small but some failures like Blown Turbo, Clutch failure, AC issues etc sometimes shakes my confidence for going unknown places.
      Now That I am in the last leg of warranty, I'm really in two minds. For Once, I really like the performance & features of XUV, but if the Niggles don't calm down, I may have to let it go.

3. I've found XUV construction to be actually delicate (or It feels that way due to Niggles?). I do not think XUV can stand Educated Roughhousing accompanied by OTR and Expeditions.

But that solves the door rattling problem of Dicor.

That would be Storme320 and not Storme400. If you can find the 400 one in that price, it is a steal or it is a stolen vehicle!!

Why do you care for the scratches on a vehicle to be used specifically for off roading. You already have other shiny vehicles for city/highway duties.

I don;t think there are any significantly more electronics in Storme when compared to Dicor 2.2.

Not sure about original Storme, but Storme 2015 Refresh (March/april 2015 onwards) has nice and classy interiors, though it falls short of XUV in terms of number of features.

Agree. Just add a winch motor to any BOF SUV for couple of tens of thousand rupees, and you can take it anywhere with confidence.
      Aha the joys of getting Rear door aligned at every service.... Then the mech comes with Big biceps and a hammer a size too big for the job. Very Nostalgic memories . Done it for 14 years.

1. Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot that Storme also comes with 320 version!
      And yes Most used specimens online are storme 320 and not storme 400!

2. Scratches do hurt. I guess I have to mentally prepare myself this time. But I found storme's panels and paint job far more Glossier than Dicor.

3. Winch will be added. But why sow in Infertile soil and add tons of chemical fertilizer later?
      My heart is on 4x4 this time. No compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
      One option is to wait a while to see is the burning desire dies down. Can happen for a variety of reasons like new interests, was just a passing fad etc. Once its past that stage, get a used safari. I say give it time.
      Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
      Off topic :

Golden words !!

I have fought such internal battles,.. many !
      There ought to be a thumb rule for an optimal wait time for such desires, eh ?
      Quote Originally Posted by derfaultier View Post
      Wise observation, megazoid - but in hard boiled cases like me, once the desire's got it's claws in, they stay in. Especially car-related.

If anything, time only makes the craving worse.

bhvm

My gentle 3-step suggestion -

1. You can't fight car related desire.

2. Yield to it. Wallow in it.

3. Upgrade - go back to step 1.

PS: Consider a used Aria Pride, if you can find one in good condition.
      Hmm... The above 3 posts are of Deep Insights.
      I've had this desire since 2 years. Told my Wife 1 year back. Then It got almost canceled due to Finances and Family Suggestions. Have been Saving in SIP for the same. But today I am Declaring it to everyone, Including my parents.

So... 2 Years Enough time for Self interpolation & Understanding?
      And As Many of us have Experienced, 4x4 Bugs are Very Poisonous. Even more than Black Mambas. Won't let go Until your Blood is replaced with Diesel.

Needing a Pajero!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      Even more than Black Mambas. Won't let go Until your Blood is replaced with Diesel.
      Indeed ! My current villain is Pajero. He is still weak, but I am keeping an eye on him.

2 years is enough, IMO.

It's not how fast you drive.
      It's how you drive fast.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
      2 years is enough, IMO.
      Agree! Time to bite the bullet then

Awesome

I think i've seen your videos on Youtube. That Pearl White safari was yours, right?
      Me or my storme can not be found anywhere on youtube. And mine is a Astern Black Storme.

I am worried about my safety and Safety of my family If i get stuck. Hence i am hell bent on 4x4 this time. It Provides that Psychological boost to go Places.
      That is the very reason that i bought a 4x4 Storme, as i had a fear that Storme being a heavy car might get easily stuck in soft due to its own weight. As a kid, we had Maruti Gypsy which was much more capable than a tractor in slushy conditions.

I've had this desire since 2 years. Told my Wife 1 year back. Then It got almost canceled due to Finances and Family Suggestions. Have been Saving in SIP for the same. But today I am Declaring it to everyone, Including my parents.
      I think its time you should buy the 4x4. i have read somewhere, if we wait, we only grow old. So complete your desire now.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

Awesome

Gypsy-
      Found Only 3 tattered Gypsys. No AC. Vehicles over 10 years old.
      Cancelled.

Gypsy 4X4 - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

Thar-
      Vehicles are attractive. AC available.
      But Budget is even more than Safari vx!
      Found only one specimen below 6lac. Has High running of 75k Kms.
      Thar 4X4 - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

GV-
      Grand Vitara 4X4 - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

No 4x4 GVs found online.

Gurkha-
      8 Lacs? Thank you.
      Gurkha - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

Pajero.-
      Pajero - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

Budget almost doubles up, even for very older vehicles
      Better vehicles are over 13L!
      Sorry cannot afford that.

Safari-
      Flooded with 4x2 options.
      Prices are good.
      Hard to find 4x4.
      Safari 4X4 - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

Scorpio-
      Need to bargain hard. But options in Budget. High mileage though.
      Mahindra Scorpio Vlx 4wd Airbag Bs-iv, 2011, Diesel - Mumbai - Cars - Mulund

Mahindra Scorpio Lx 4wd Bs-iv, 2011, Diesel - Mumbai - Cars - Kurla

Now which one?

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

Safari-
      Prices are good.
      Hard to find 4x4.
      I have many friends who have Safari and/or Safari Storme in their stables. the % people who own 4x4 are very minuscule, probably single digit %. Most of them do not sell their vehicles as they are real off roading enthusiasts. I also think the most of these may be Safari Dicor and much less for Storme.

I suggest you approach the Safari Forums on Facebook like SOUL or SUG or TSG and check whether some one is willing to sell you the vehicle. I would guess price would be on higher side, but you may get a well maintained, pre-worshipped, known history vehicle with a off roading track record.

One more thing, based on your listing of issues with XUV, i get a feeling that you expect Safari / Storme not to have such issues, i would suggest you to lower your expectations as i remember my friends having such minor issues. you may also meet with such Safari Group Members from Pune and get a first hand information, they are a very active bunch of guys, many of them work for TATAM.

Awesome

Gypsy-
      Found Only 3 tattered Gypsys. No AC. Vehicles over 10 years old.
      Cancelled.

Gypsy 4X4 - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

Thar-
      Vehicles are attractive. AC available.
      But Budget is even more than Safari vx!
      Found only one specimen below 6lac. Has High running of 75k Kms.
      Thar 4X4 - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

GV-
      Grand Vitara 4X4 - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

No 4x4 GVs found online.

Gurkha-
      8 Lacs? Thank you.
      Gurkha - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

Pajero.-
      Pajero - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

Budget almost doubles up, even for very older vehicles
      Better vehicles are over 13L!
      Sorry cannot afford that.

Safari-
      Prices are good.
      Hard to find 4x4.
      Safari 4X4 - Cars in Maharashtra - OLX.in

Scorpio-
      Need to bargain hard. But options in Budget. High mileage though.
      Mahindra Scorpio Vlx 4wd Airbag Bs-iv, 2011, Diesel - Mumbai - Cars - Mulund

Mahindra Scorpio Lx 4wd Bs-iv, 2011, Diesel - Mumbai - Cars - Kurla

Now which one?
      We had gypsy long back about 20 years back. I was a kid and had driven it very less (i was mostly away from home during Gypsy owning years due to higher education and jobs) . I don't even remember if it had AC, but I do remember that it had very basic dashboard, something similar to or even worse than maruti 800 of that time.

Wallowy Scorpio would might get uncomfortable during the long rides.

Looking at these, Storme vx 4x4 at 8L seems to make more sense than all other options. Or if you can get Safari Dicor 2.2 within your budget, that makes most sense.
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      I suggest you approach the Safari Forums on Facebook like SOUL or SUG or TSG and check whether some one is willing to sell you the vehicle. I would guess price would be on higher side, but you may get a well maintained, pre-worshipped, known history vehicle with a off roading track record.
      Yes, the safari groups (SOUL/SUG) etc make most sense to enquire for someone willing to sell his/her Safari. These groups are for enthusiasts, and might have higher ratio of 4x4. I remember someone recently posting in SUG Bangalore whatsapp group about selling his safari. Not sure if it was 4x4 or 4x2.

Most of them do not sell their vehicles as they are real off roading enthusiasts. I also think the most of these may be Safari Dicor and much less for Storme.
      One of the reasons for not selling Safari/Storme could be the low resale value. And getting something new with similar off-road capabilities would cost a lot, so most who can afford to find a place to park their Safari would keep it for longer time, and buy another car for other duties.
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx

Awesome

I also think the most of these may be Safari Dicor and much less for Storme.

One more thing, based on your listing of issues with XUV, i get a feeling that you expect Safari / Storme not to have such issues, i would suggest you to lower your expectations as i remember my friends having such minor issues. you may also meet with such Safari Group Members from Pune and get a first hand information, they are a very active bunch of guys, many of them work for TATAM.
      1. Yes buddy. All these options in budget are Dicor 2.2. I have a thought to buy well maintained dicor 2.2 than a roughhoused storme. Infact, Few things are better in Dicor than storme with respect to Offroading.

2. Spot On sir. I'm In touch with a few SOUL members. Any contacts for SUG or TSG?

3. Niggles got me thinking. One sure thing is Safari has far less electronics. Atleast the touchscreen won't be restarting every few hours. About Clutch and Turbo Reliability, Well Lets keep fingers crossed.

We had gypsy long back about 20 years back. I was a kid and had driven it very less (i was mostly away from home during Gypsy owning years due to higher education and jobs) . I don't even remember if it had AC, but I do remember that it had very basic dashboard, something similar to or even worse than maruti 800 of that time.

Wallowy Scorpio would might get uncomfortable during the long rides.

Looking at these, Storme vx 4x4 at 8L seems to make more sense than all other options. Or if you can get Safari Dicor 2.2 within your budget, that makes most sense.
      Agreed.
      Gypsy canceled being too Crude and not having AC. Its petrol with a thirst!
      Scorpio is low on the priority owning to Poor suspension.

My Idea is Spend 4.5L on Safari Dicor and add 1.5L for mods (MLD, Winch etc)
      Next best idea is Getting storme for 7.5L. But that keeps no Money for mods.

Yes, the safari groups (SOUL/SUG) etc make most sense to enquire for someone willing to sell his/her Safari. These groups are for enthusiasts, and might have higher ratio of 4x4.

One of the reasons for not selling Safari/Storme could be the low resale value. And getting something new with similar off-road capabilities would cost a lot, so most who can afford to find a place to park their Safari would keep it for longer time, and buy another car for other duties.
      1> Low resale could be a Pro or Con. Its sure a pro as I am a BUYER ATM!.
      People stay away from 4x4 thinking its a white ghost which drinks Fuel insanely. Same issues in Resale. Try selling your 4x4 and people either don't understand it, or have the perception of being fuel guzzler. And the fact that safari is not exactly as efficient as XUV makes things worse. Worse yet, Noobs can blow the transfer case or Diffs if they use CD locked on hard surfaces.

2> I agree having that much off road capability in Limited budget leaves only 1 option-
      Safari.

3> I have i10 for other duties. So won't be issue.
      So safari it will be then.
      Lets reclaim Life!!

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain Rain GO Away

Awesome

Any contacts for SUG or TSG?
      You may approach them through their very active Facebook pages.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information