• Secret
  • Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Need advice on Used Tata Safari, 4x2 , DiCOR 2.2 VTT

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      I bought a new battery from a dealer nearby for around 5.9k. I was really worried if something major had happen etc luckly it was a battery issue. I have a doubt how long does a battery last the older was Amron( i think company fitted) it lasted hardly 2.5 years is it normal? The present batter is maintenance free one, need to see how it goes. Also during 40 point check in TASS don''t they check battery life?
      A battery will last much longer if you look after it. If you do only short trips to the office and back, you will have to charge it about once or twice a month. Never let a lead acid battery drop below 50% and if it does, charge it up as soon as possible with an external charger. Using your alternator to charge up a discharged battery will not help. It will only give you usable energy for a few starts. It takes hundreds of kilometers to recharge a discharged battery to full. To regain the current used for one start will take 15 to 20 kilometers at 20 degrees.

Get a cheap volt meter and monitor the battery once in a while and recharge if not full. A smart charger is best to avoid overcharging. Discharging your battery a few times is a sure way to kill your battery. Four to five times of total discharge does irreparable damage to the battery. I say that this is the cause of premature battery failure and not the quality of the brand.

I never let mine drop below 75%. A well maintained battery should last at least 5 to 6 years or more.
      With a volt meter you can also check the health of the alternator. With the engine idling, you should get a reading of 13.8V-14.4V at the battery terminals.

Name:  battery.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  18.3 KB
      Last edited by Indian; 18th Sep 2019 at 03:34.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      It will only give you usable energy for a few starts. It takes hundreds of kilometers to recharge a discharged battery to full. To regain the current used for one start will take 15 to 20 kilometers at 20 degrees.
      The mentioned Ideology/ direction is correct.
      However the values are incorrect.

An Alternator is a far more powerful tool to charge battery than usually mains based Battery Maintainers. The Alternator in my SUV is rated at 140A and after crank, usually charges battery at about 30~40A. I have verified this using my clamp mater. Alternator will replenish the battery AH used for cranking in just 15~20 seconds. And a discharged battery can be fully charged on alternator in 15 mins. Modern alternators are electronically controlled and offer enough amps at just idle (Along with correct, regulate voltage) to charge. Long gone are days when engines had to be revved hard to get good voltage.

However, yes.
      Dont let batteries sit. Use battery Maintainer if you park more than a month.

P.s- Home inverters charge battery at just 10A
      While Battery maintainers often do at 2 to 5A.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      And a discharged battery can be fully charged on alternator in 15 mins.
      You must have a magic alternator. All the battery tests I have been reading says that a driving time of 8-19 minutes is needed to replenish the current used during a cold start. To get a correct reading you will have to charge the battery for 24 hours and let it rest another 24 before taking a reading..
      A discharged battery will show full after a long drive but the charge will not stay in the battery.
      The main causes of battery failure is user related and not the brand. A totally discharged battery will never be like a new battery after charging.
      How many of you measure battery voltage?
      The later cars have regenerative brakes to save fuel. The AGM battery is kept at 80% so that the braking charge can be dumped into the battery. These smart alterrnators give even less charge than the conventional alternators.
      I dont know if this system has come to India but when it does, you will be buying batteries like candy. Not because the product is bad, but bad maintenance.
      In these cars you will need a DC-DC charger if fitting an extra battery.
      Just last week just before my German trip, my leisure batteries were at 94% and it took 900km for the battery to go up to 100%

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      You must have a magic alternator
      1> A discharged means regular use battery sitting at about 12.2 to 12.4 volts.
      A deep discharged battery will take far longer. Regular Car batteries are not designed for deep discharge and will go bad if kept below 12v.

About getting the last 10~20 Percent of charge in, Yes that takes time with every battery technology. Even Lithium in Phones with dash charging will slow down after 80%.
      However 80% is good enough to crank the engine and get all works done.

I remember some old Samsung laptops had BIOS options to limit battery charge to 80%. It reduces runtime but gives a very good life.

2> Coming to other part,
      A cold, large diesel (Large as in Indian Standards) Takes about 500A to 600A cranking to start. This consumption happens for a second and then tapers off very quickly.
      A Smaller diesel takes 200~300A.
      And small petrols (As in common hatchbacks) is far easier to turn over at just 100 to 150A.
      All these values are from MY clamp meter.

Alternator charging at 40A will need 15 seconds to replenish Diesel cranking. (15 sec x 40A). So the math does tally up.
      Considering inefficiency all around, its still less than a minute.

3> A secondary battery (On camper vans), When added via Battery Isolator takes roughly 15 Minutes of drive to replenish overnight consumption (Lights, Small fridge etc)

Bangalore

Awesome

hey guys sorry lot of technical things not by area of expertise, but ya will get battery checked once in a while may be every 6 months? So that it don't drain out.

Bangalore

Awesome

Just spraying it on ducts will not help. Smell comes from Mould growing on Evaporator coil. You need to undo the grilles and push down a long pipe till you reach the coil.
      I was not able to remove the grill. In Dicor the central console grill border is slightly projected outside the dash, so that we can take it out. But in new model this grill border is kept inside, was not able to remove. What i did is inserted the tube given deep inside and sprayed.

Bangalore

Awesome

hi all,
      am facing a new issue in my storme from past few weeks. My fan stops working sometime and if i stop the engine and start again it will start working. This is not a very frequent issue it happens 1 or 2 times in a week or so. anyone face this?

Also one more issue is some sort of noice coming from rear ac that too once in a while and sometimes stops automatically. some sort of "ke ke"" sound which last for few min.Dont know how to explain.

Recently i had done my service asked them to check both the issue but they didn't find any issue with fan/ac. Actually this is difficult to replicate as it occurs once in a while. There is no issue with ac cooling etc, it works fine. Once when fan stops there is no affect of ac i have stop the engine and start again.

Awesome

Looks like your condensor fan is faulty.

Bangalore

Awesome

Looks like your condensor fan is faulty.
      sorry its not fan my mistake. Blower stops working. It used to happend 1 or 2 times a week. Now if i switch on in 2 min it will stop working. Had gone to TASC last weekend and show they told thermostat had gone . Currently its not avaliable need to order will cost 3.5k .Also it will take 2 days to fix it, as dashboard need to be removed to take this out and fix new one.

Next day i went to an a/c show and shown they told the same but he told its not thermostat some sort of chip or something like that. That part is not available outside. In new model they use this. For rear a/c sound he told some balancing had gone no issues i can use if it stop working need to get it fixed . But again only TASC can do it.

So i called up TASC and asked to order the part this Monday. Till now no update on this.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread Information