• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 128

    Thread: Need advice on Used Tata Safari, 4x2 , DiCOR 2.2 VTT

    1. #1

      Bangalore
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      53

      Need advice on Used Tata Safari, 4x2 , DiCOR 2.2 VTT

      Hi All,
      I need advice on buying Need advice on Used Tata Safari, 4x2 DiCOR 2.2 VTT . Currently am using an 2007 Santro which is very reliable and less is maintenance.
      My usage will be mainly on weekend inside city and once in a month outstation. Mine is a 3 member family but once in a while parents might join.
      Lot of my friends are suggesting not to go with Safari or any Tata products. Lot of maintenance and rusting issues. But my heart say to go with safari .
      So i would like to get expert advice on this, am looking for a model from and above 2012 with a budget of around 5L . Will i get a good vehicle in this budget?
      How is the maintenance of safari heard lot of mixed reviews, am from Bangalore is there any reliable mechanic near Whitefield area?
      AMC can i get it for an old model say 2012 or 2013 how much it cost?
      Finally how is the driving comfort when i switch from Santro -> Safari
      .

      Regards,
      Rajit

    2. #2

      .
       
      Awesome
       
      speed79's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      2,215
      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      I need advice on buying Need advice on Used Tata Safari, 4x2 DiCOR 2.2 VTT .
      Bringing to attention of bhvm who might help you with his (re)search for a used Safari.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      Lot of my friends are suggesting not to go with Safari or any Tata products. Lot of maintenance and rusting issues.
      I have a 2011 vista. No rusting anywhere on the car. It has been low on maintenance, just regular service. My Storme is fairly new at ~1.5 years, so can not comment much on maintenance of Safari.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      But my heart say to go with safari
      That is why one buys a Safari!!

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      am looking for a model from and above 2012 with a budget of around 5L
      I think in this budget you could get a 2012 Safari in very good condition with low running (50-60k kms).

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      from Bangalore is there any reliable mechanic near Whitefield area
      I get my Storme serviced at KHT motors on Graphite road. Since it has been mostly regular servicing for me, can't say on their competence in solving any major issues.
      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      AMC can i get it for an old model say 2012 or 2013 how much it cost?
      Post 4 or 5 years, i don't thing there is any AMC available.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      Finally how is the driving comfort when i switch from Santro -> Safari .
      Havn't driven Santro. But among my present cars (Alto/Vista/Storme) I always like to be driving Storme. Only problem I face in Storme is when I need to find a parking place on Bangalore streets. Storme is my daily office car, but i don't have any parking problems at both places. Safari has a larger turning radius. Test drive a Safari at a Tata Motors dealership and you would know better to compare it with Santro yourself. In fact driving position in Safari was one of the factors, that made me a Safari fan.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

    3. #3

      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      May 2014
      Posts
      1,082
      Agreed. Safari is a 100% Heart decision. Its a childhood fantasy of some sort.

      It might be heavy, Its lumbering beast, Blood (Diesel) Thirsty, Growls a lot and throws up a tantrum at times. But after all, Its safari. The Ride quality and comfort is right up to Business class mercs & LRs. The heavy weight and Softer suspension makes it wobble and bob beyond 140 KMPH. But thats not a way to drive a safari.

      Drive steady, Show off your chariot, In cool & composed style.

      For 2012 safari, Budget of 5.5L is realistic.
      I suggest anything above 2010 (or mid 2009) is green. Older safaris (2007~2008) had more niggles with respect to ECU and turbo. Many a times, ECU had to be replaced.

      The market is literally sprawling with 4x2 safaris 2010 and above. So you are in luck. Try offerint 4.2 or 4.5L depending on condition & Maintainance. Tampering Safari ODO is very easy and commonplace, so be careful.

    4. #4

      Bangalore
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      53
      Thanks a lot speed79 and bhvm for your reply let me start with a test drive first to decide on the driving comfort, actually i was looking to rent a safari in zoom but they dont have it only Mahindra SUV they are giving. One more quick question i heard something called timing belt issue so if a vehicle had crossed 70K i need to change it?

    5. #5
      Sharked' |\
       
      Awesome
       
      arvindr2391's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Location
      Back in Chennai B-)
      Posts
      380
      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      Thanks a lot speed79 and bhvm for your reply let me start with a test drive first to decide on the driving comfort, actually i was looking to rent a safari in zoom but they dont have it only Mahindra SUV they are giving. One more quick question i heard something called timing belt issue so if a vehicle had crossed 70K i need to change it?
      Myles have Safari for self drive in Bangalore .

    6. #6
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Hungry
       
      s13's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Bharat
      Posts
      149
      Hey Rajit,
      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      Tata Safari, 4x2 DiCOR 2.2 VTT
      Being X- Tata Safari, 4x2 DiCOR 2.2 VTT owner, I can give you some insights.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      Lot of my friends are suggesting not to go with Safari or any Tata products
      They are right actually. If you have passion to get your hands dirty with your drive, standing in garage (more often then others) doesn't irritate you, then you can go ahead with TATA. The product's aren't that bad, their reputation is actually worse than their product.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      Lot of maintenance and rusting issues
      No rusting issue but frequent niggling issues will be there. For example, power windows stop functioning if not washed carefully. The rear door keeps rattling every 1000 KMs due to heavy stepney mounted on rear door. The injectors keep playing tik tik sound. In my case it was only tik tik sound but my friend's Safari, his injectors went kaput twice. Replacement of 4 injectors costed approximately 40000.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      a model from and above 2012
      Why not TATA SAFARI STORME Varicor? It is easier to drive this vehicle in city too due to its very short turning radius. The one which you are planning to take is quite cumbersome to drive in city and U Turn takes a lot of planning. Also Tata Safari, 4x2 DiCOR 2.2 VTT was offered with standard 2 years warranty, but Storme (VariCor) was offered with 3 years / 1 lac KM. THat shows TATAs confidence on their Varicor engine.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      How is the maintenance of safari heard lot of mixed reviews
      Maintenance is high but maintenance cost is low. For example upto 50000 KMs the maximum amount I paid was 8000. 60000 KMs service costed me 26K.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      AMC can i get it for an old model say 2012 or 2013 how much it cost?
      The standard warranty was 2 years and 2 years extended warranty was available. So you can't get shield. I am not sure if TATA provides AMC post that.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      Finally how is the driving comfort when i switch from Santro -> Safari
      It would be north and south. Specially high speed manners have lot to do with it.
      You feel like king in Safari due to high seating position.
      You can't take turns on ghats on the speed unlike Santro due to high center of gravity in Safari.
      Safari can ease out small and large potholes.
      The city drive in Santro is breeze due to it's small dimensions.

      Quote Originally Posted by rajith14 View Post
      i heard something called timing belt issue so if a vehicle had crossed 70K i need to change it?
      Pray to god you don't face this issue. My Safari's timing chain broke at 78000 KMs, causing engine seizure. The warranty was expired and we spent bomb (1.4 lacs) to get vehicle back in action. At 1 lac KMs, turbo failed and at 1.2 lacs KM, Safari caught fire and burnt completely while it was running on highway.

      I am not saying this happens with every Safari but TATA has shamelessly accepted that my piece was lemon.

    7. #7

      .
       
      Awesome
       
      speed79's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      2,215
      Quote Originally Posted by s13 View Post
      The product's aren't that bad, their reputation is actually worse than their product.
      +1.
      Quote Originally Posted by s13 View Post
      For example, power windows stop functioning if not washed carefully.
      You mean pouring water on power window switches? Or, sometimes even some raindrops could make these fail?

      Quote Originally Posted by s13 View Post
      Why not TATA SAFARI STORME Varicor? It is easier to drive this vehicle in city too due to its very short turning radius. The one which you are planning to take is quite cumbersome to drive in city and U Turn takes a lot of planning.
      +1.

      Quote Originally Posted by s13 View Post
      The city drive in Santro is breeze due to it's small dimensions.
      Infact it would be other way round. Driving in Safari would be a breeze in city, as no one (smaller cars/bikes) would try to jump in front of a charging beast. While joining a busy main road from a side street, one needs to wait while in a smaller car, but the SUVs make their own space. I feel driving Storme is easier in city than my other cars (Alto/Vista). Only problem comes when you need to find a place to park Safari.

      Quote Originally Posted by s13 View Post
      My Safari's timing chain broke at 78000 KMs, causing engine seizure. The warranty was expired and we spent bomb (1.4 lacs) to get vehicle back in action. At 1 lac KMs, turbo failed and at 1.2 lacs KM, Safari caught fire and burnt completely while it was running on highway.
      Don't give me scares!!
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

    8. #8
      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Hungry
       
      s13's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Bharat
      Posts
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      You mean pouring water on power window switches? Or, sometimes even some raindrops could make these fail?
      No, it always use to happen after washing. Power windows (only rear two) use to start working after an hour approximately. The beast was never washed with door opens. I believe the water use to drip inside from outer gaps of windows. Though I never took it seriously. I first used to check rear door rattle, I know power windows will start working shortly.

      Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      Infact it would be other way round. Driving in Safari would be a breeze in city, as no one (smaller cars/bikes) would try to jump in front of a charging beast. While joining a busy main road from a side street, one needs to wait while in a smaller car, but the SUVs make their own space. I feel driving Storme is easier in city than my other cars (Alto/Vista). Only problem comes when you need to find a place to park Safari.
      Ha ha, that is quite optimistic sir.
      My Safari had big bull bar at front (something like this). Making me more fearless and nobody used to mess up.
      Name:  safari.PNG
Views: 435
Size:  85.9 KB

      Once I was on a busy street, an auto rickshaw was dropping the passengers in middle of road. Irritated by my honking he started shouting. I slowly rolled the beast, touched my bull bar with auto's back and made the vehicle crawling in 1st gear. Initially he kept the brakes applied but later found himself helpless with brute force of Airawat (We use to call it safed haathi). So he accelerated and gave me side.

      Though I do not recommend such practices but your statement took me to the past for a while.

    9. #9

      Bangalore
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by s13 View Post
      Why not TATA SAFARI STORME Varicor? It is easier to drive this vehicle in city too due to its very short turning radius. The one which you are planning to take is quite cumbersome to drive in city and U Turn takes a lot of planning. Also Tata Safari, 4x2 DiCOR 2.2 VTT was offered with standard 2 years warranty, but Storme (VariCor) was offered with 3 years / 1 lac KM. THat shows TATAs confidence on their Varicor engine.
      I would love to but budget constrains

    10. #10

      Bangalore
       
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Jun 2016
      Posts
      53
      Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      Infact it would be other way round. Driving in Safari would be a breeze in city, as no one (smaller cars/bikes) would try to jump in front of a charging beast. While joining a busy main road from a side street, one needs to wait while in a smaller car, but the SUVs make their own space. I feel driving Storme is easier in city than my other cars (Alto/Vista). Only problem comes when you need to find a place to park Safari.
      I agree here i think if its Strome driving might be easy old Safari not sure how comfortable will it be in Bangalore roads..need to test drive and check.

    Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 7 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 31
      Last Post: 5th Aug 2019, 16:53
    2. Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L
      By mastersquall in forum Safari/Storme
      Replies: 42
      Last Post: 10th Aug 2011, 06:36
    3. Used Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L or 2.2 VTT?
      By mike in forum SUV's & 4x4's
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 7th Jul 2011, 00:39
    4. Replies: 23
      Last Post: 3rd Jul 2011, 21:37
    5. TATA safari Dicor Install
      By Kureti in forum Build and Installs
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 13th Jan 2011, 05:16

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •