• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which used car for a total beginner?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Which used car for a total beginner?

Hi guys,

I'm just about to begin my journey into the automotive world. I'm going to enroll with the Maruti Driving School(Bannerghatta Road) next week and in about 1.5 months hope to end my dependence on these @!$@%& autowallahs forever.

I'm planning to start with a cheap used car to learn the ropes on. However, I know that in no time I'll be lusting for more power and refinement and hence would like to buy a capable car. My weekday usage should be only around 20Km(office commute). Once I have the car, long weekend trips around B'lore are bound to materialize. I am planning to stick to petrol engines. My budget is fairly low - around 1.5-2 L for hatchbacks and going upto 2.5-2.8L if I find a good deal on a sedan.

Here are the contenders (as per my knowledge, please feel free to add any I've missed)

M800 - Not really considering it. Poor levels of aesthetics, power and refinement offend my sensibilities

Alto - Better than M800, but would keep this as a last resort

WagonR, Santro Xing - Not too hot on tallboys at the moment.

Swift - Wouldn't fit my budget I guess.

Zen(post 2000 MPFI) - Totally open to it. Since this is an out-of-production but popular Maruti model, I guess maintenance shouldn't be very tough? I see very high resale quotes though. What year/Kms can I expect in my budget in B'lore? Most samples I see advertised are very old, how does this car hold up after 5-8 years?

Palio 1.6GTX - Muahaha..who doesn't dream of a 100 horses at 1.5L? How difficult is the maintenance of this beast in reality? I know FE is terrible but...it has, like 100bhp..you know? At this point it's my heart speaking, my mind says stay away!

Baleno - I don't see much wrong with this one at all. People seem to have wised up and good samples below 3-3.5L look to be rare in B'lore. Is it safe to go for a pre-2004 Baleno, which might hopefully fit my budget?

Ikon 1.6 - I read that Ford A.S.S is terible and parts are not available and super expensive. I feel that Ford's reliability is pretty suspect and a >5yrs old Ford might just be bad news all around.

Getz and Accent - Haven't done much research on these. From what little I've seen used Getz is fairly expensive while Accents might fit my budget.

As I'm a complete n00b, buying a used car is all the more difficult for me. I would love to have a not-so-common car which offers a bit of performance and class, but this can often come at the price of reliability and ease of maintenance. I'm open to a bit of risk but don't want a lemon either.

What should be a realistic choice for me? Am I overreaching by thinking of sedans when I don't even know how to drive? Your expert thoughts/comments/advice please.

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

swift for you..maruti a.s.s cheap on pocket if you plan heavily bombard it and also the car is a powerfull performer..also the car is currently in production so no problem getting parts...

Awesome

I would say start with a used Zen or Alto. A year down the line, when you are confident you can sell this car and buy a new one.

Resale value for both the cars is pretty good, so you wont lose much.

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

You should find a zen in the budget you've in mind. Getting a swift for that price may be difficult.
      Stay away from the GTX.
      Though, like you said, 100bhp at 1.5 lacs sounds like a steal.

Awesome

Strictly go for a low maintainence 800 or alto, though your mind may play tricks, we all make mistakes in the early stages so let's keep the damages to a minimum. Once you are confident graduate to a sedan.

Hungry for more POWER!!!

Hungry

The best suited will be alto.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Since you are new to driving and looking for a used car to start with, The Alto would be the best bet.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Awesome

Thanks for the replies guys. I am leaning towards a Zen at the moment. What kind of a used zen can I can expect in Bangalore around 1.5-2L? Carwale used car valuation seems to indicate a 2003 VXi is possible for 1.5L. Does the ground reality match this? Also, does it make sense to trust Maruti True Value? Since I am a newbie, I don't know any good mechanics whom I can take along for inspections

Edit: I just found out about the Alto 1.1 VX(discontinued in 2003 I guess). Seems like there isn't much to choose between these two!

Awesome

go in for the alto VX. one sooper car. wats the price by the way?? km on the odo and year of mfg???
      there are a lots of bangy guys who would help you out in finding a good mech.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

You got a Alto Vx? Go for it dude if the car is in good condition. One real pocket rocket it is
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information