• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Cigarette ligher 2 in 1

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Cigarette ligher 2 in 1

I need a 2 in 1 for the cigarette lighter socket in my car. I need it to plug in both a car fridge (5-6A) and a GPS system (<1A). I bought one unit from 20North for Rs720 and when I opened the fuse holder, I found a 2A fuse. However, the design looked robust enough to take the load.

I replaced the fuse with a 8A fuse, but it seems the diameter of the fuse was narrower than the standard size for a 1-1/4" fuse. So I had to force the fuse in. When I plugged in the car fridge, it worked fine, but found some smoke after a few minutes. On opening the adapter the spring (between the fuse and the plate) had shifted and was just touching the metal, and getting hot.

I checked up with the chap who is advertising similar devices on eBay for Rs.199. He has no idea of the fuse rating.

Any suggestions, from where can I get the adapter which is robust enough. I am sure I am not the only one with this dilemma. I would not mind getting one plug and a couple of sockets and making my own.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

O_o

Awesome

these are standard fitment in high end toyotas and BMW's
      their showroom will have one.

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Godfather Thanks. Will check with Toyota, since the nearest BMW showroom may be 450+km away! However, Toyota do not list it in accessories.
      Last edited by sgiitk; 5th Oct 2010 at 15:06.

O_o

Awesome

we just bought a Prado and the vehicle comes with this device which fits into the cigarette lighter and has 2 output.
      The fridge is connected to one of the output and you can use the other one for the lighter itself. This is added in the 3rd row of seating which has a 12 volt output.

it is rated at 12 volts and the fridge is working fine. let me see if I can take a pic and post it.

O_o

Awesome

<invisible>

Awesome

For gadgets like GPS, refri etc. (which are kept in the car almost permanently and in a fixed place) I suggest you to get a neat wiring done dedicatedly for the purpose. You can have wires run concealed and with rated fuses in line. You still can have the end points so that you can unplug them as required safely. Don't you think having multi socket on the dash's lighter socket and pulling wires everywhere creates a mess?

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Godfather this is exactly what my system from 20North looks like. They are clones/twins. Very likely the adapter is the same, but with a bigger fuse!

I have gone into the guts, and see no problem why it will not take 8-10A. I opened it up and have basically soldered a piece of copper wire to the plate which is the +ve terminal. The idea is to stop the spring from shifting to the side. I will check out with Toyota (or ask a friend who has a Corolla and an Innova to do so). If the car fridge is running (Toyota also have Tropicool on the approved/OE list) then obviously it can handle the juice..

shyamhegde I will be reluctant to mess with the wiring. The Fridge normally sits on the rear seat when we go out, and the GPS is on the dash (friction mount). The wires will naturally dangle a bit. Not such a big mess. Neither is used when we go out locally. For trips up to 150km or so we do not take the Fridge.

An idea: this weekend, I will plug in my car pump and run it for a few minutes and see, whether I have fixed the problem or not.

<invisible>

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Godfather
      shyamhegde I will be reluctant to mess with the wiring. The Fridge normally sits on the rear seat when we go out, and the GPS is on the dash (friction mount). The wires will naturally dangle a bit. Not such a big mess. Neither is used when we go out locally. For trips up to 150km or so we do not take the Fridge.
      I personally prefer not to have any dangling wires and moving objects around dash and windshield. Like to keep that area clean.
      As your fridge usage is not regular, I understand you are reluctant to have a seperate wiring done.

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Name:  Lighter_Mod.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  14.0 KB
      I took the old unit bought from 20North (Rs.722) and removed the 'guts'. Then soldered in a lead from an old Pump. Works beautifully.

<invisible>

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Name:  Lighter_Mod.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  14.0 KB
      I took the old unit bought from 20North (Rs.722) and removed the 'guts'. Then soldered in a lead from an old Pump. Works beautifully.
      Good, you got one made yourself, exactly the way you wanted it to be !

Thread Information