• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does India deserve better, bigger roads?

Life's Boring !!!

Awesome

Chandigarh (Paradise) - Indrapuram (Vertical Slum)
      Quote Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
      NHAI should not construct highways through villages and cities. It's unfair on the local population. The cities and villages will need to be bypassed. I agree it's high time we need 8 lane highways than 4 lane highways.
      Do you think this is possible in India. I have been driving on NH1 for the past 15 years every month. The highway has been mushroomed by the people on both the sides. Now flyovers are present in almost all the cities and villages on this highway but again new settlements come up and the scenario is eventually the same i.e. traffic jams and accidents. The only solution in India is that for fast traffic build flyovers all the way.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

I went to China first time in 2000. I was booked in a hotel close to Shanghai Railway Station, this hotel was adjacent to my company's office at that time.
      I was told that i have to take a taxi from Airport and the distance was roughly 50 KMs, and it would take approx 1.5 to 2 hours to reach the hotel. I did the same and it took me approx 2 hours by Taxi. The roads were just 2 lane on each side with a divider in between. the entire stretch was full of shanty towns (slums) on either side.

I again went after few months (in 2001), the entire stretch was cleaned of shanty towns, there was lot of plain ground on either side of the road and some of it was landscaped with fully grown trees, Again later in 2002, the entire stretch was made 3+3 lane and the travel time came down to 45-60 minutes. They could do this in just few months because of their governance model, imagine entirely re-locating villages besides a highway over 50KMs length, it would take a decade to do that in India if not impossible.

I again went in first quarter of 2003, they had put a maglev train, with a peak speed of 400 KMPH, journey time had been reduced to 8 minutes, frequency of the train was 15 minutes. It was so convenient for me, just exit the airport, walk to the train station, buy the ticket, board the train get down at the downtown and walk to the hotel and walk to the office. next 3 years i neither changed the hotel, not the routine, my frequency of visits also increased to almost monthly. Eventually it ended when office moved to the industrial area from downtown :-(

after that i went to shanghai many times, sometimes i took taxi, the travel time from airport to city center by road has again increased to 1.5 hours to 2 hours, despite multiple highways, each one having 4+4 lanes.

So increasing width of the road is not the solution all the time. there has to be alternative and safer modes of transports like super fast trains, feeder smaller airline services.

having said that i would still say, quality of roads in our country be it city roads, village roads or highways need to be improved a lot. today only parameter that decides these highway construction is per KM cost, the lowest bidder gets the tender award. he had to accommodate allowances for all potential cuts and commissions, cost escalations, escalations due to litigation and delays etc within that lowest bid. This means the corners would be cut, and high speed cornering can not be done by so called bhpians and gearheads who want to drive fast.

The requirements must also include traveller safety, comfort, speed, neighborhood community safety/co-existance etc. All these will escalate the costs of construction. probably if planned well and corruption is removed, probably it is possible to do in the same budget as now.

Again, i would take example of China (china is the only country which has comparable distances, population density and citizen behavior), Air travel within china is cheap because they have build high capacity, every airport is huge (planned for population requirements of 2 decades later), their planes are also bigger, deploy a plan that can take 300+ passengers instead of 180+ passengers like the one deployed in our country. take example of Bangalore, airport is so small, so far away from industrial areas as well as key residential areas, non existent metro connection, not enough feeder bus roots, only way is by taxi through crowded highway and city roads. Recently a known visitor took 3.5 to 4 hours from KIA to Electronic city during day time, he lost all interest in the business meeting.
      widened NH7 will not solve such situations. Earlier it used to take 30 minutes from Hebbal to KIA, now with 3+3 lanes flyovers, it takes 45 minutes +, the time taken from highway intersection to terminal building itself now takes 15 minutes, probably more in morning and evening hours. :-(

but i still think, mass rapid transport is the solution instead of widened highways.
      Last edited by Nomad; 5th Nov 2017 at 18:29.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Again, i would take example of China (china is the only country which has comparable distances, population density and citizen behavior)
      That's not all. China is authoritarian while India is a democracy. A friend of mine in Ningbo had her house torn down because she refused to move for a shopping complex and the compensation she got did not get her a new house. They offered her a sum and that was it. She had no choice but to accept it.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      That's not all. China is authoritarian while India is a democracy.
      That is what i wrote in the previous post...

They could do this in just few months because of their governance model, imagine entirely re-locating villages besides a highway over 50KMs length, it would take a decade to do that in India if not impossible.
      Every model of governance has positives and negatives. these change for different stakeholders based on their needs and wants. World is bit hypocrite. They want China's cheap products, they want china to reduce their cost of operations, They want China to provide them cheap manufacturing labour. They want to reduce their carbon emissions, but increase the same in china because of change in manufacturing location. but if China starts providing everyone with income and social security like the ones in western countries, they can not really provide what western country whats china to do. In the next decade (or IT Industry context), replace the word china with India in the above sentence.

so just cut pasting any country's growth model may not suit other country. similarly Auto Bahns which are identity of Germany need not be the need in India. One thing i know country desperately needs jobs. building infrastructure (Highways, airports, sea ports, industrial towns, tech industry ....) will not only bring the jobs, but help keep them for some time to come. hopefully our governance model does things in time.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

mass rapid transport is the solution instead of widened highways
      God thoughts there Nomad. I agree with most of the points.

Different transport modes are not substitutes for each other - they are complimentary. A country / state of city can't just be happy building good wide roads and thinking, all traffic problems are solved now. Neither just having a good public transport with poor roads is a solution. Both need to co-exist. Infrastructure development can't one-dimensional.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

The India chapter of International Road Assessment Programme IndiaRAP was launched yesterday.

New Delhi, Nov 15 (UNI) Assessing the road in India will be a challenging job as the country accounts for 10 per cent of the world’s road accident deaths, Chief Executive officer, International Assessment Programme, Rob Mclnerney said.
      Addressing a press conference here on Wednesday, Mr Mclnerney said IndiaRAP programme aims to address the highest risk roads around the country in partnership with national and state agencies.
      The India chapter of International Road Assessment Programme IndiaRAP was launched yesterday.
      Mr Mclnerney said, “Every life counts and 5 Star rating is the safest and we want all rates in the world to be of this rate”.
      Praising Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari, the CEO said that the Minister has grave concern for the road accident fatalities and he was taking several measures to address the issue.
      He also said that he was getting full cooperation from the Government of India.
      “As India invests in large-scale road upgrades across the country, maximizing the safety of this investment will deliver strong transport, health and economic benefits,” he said.
      He said IndiaRAP will provide policy, performance tracking and investment tools for governments to measure and manage road safety infrastructure and optimize investments across the country.
      International Road Assessment Programme is a registered charity dedicated to preventing global road deaths by working with development institutions, motoring clubs and road authorities to shape billions of dollars of investment in infrastructure with a focus on safety for all road users.
      Read more at IndiaRAP to assess roads launched

http://www.uniindia.com/indiarap-to-...s/1047679.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information