• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Importance of Fog Lights ?

Brio SMT

Secret

Question Importance of Fog Lights ?

My car is not having Fog Lights. I only use low beam and it does the job in the City. However recently I saw a car having very bright fog lights. Probably upgraded to led or something. Which not only looked great but I think illuminates the road more than Headlights Headlights were the typical crappy halogen though

I used to think it is for the looks only and obviously help in dark and foggy misty condition like nowadays. But otherwise not really required. So I am wondering how useful and important is Fog lights ?

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

My old car had fog lights and I used them sometimes but found that the headlights were better. Present car does not have them and I don't miss them. I do drive a lot in foggy/snowy weather.
      I don't know about the Indian rules but in the EU, they should come on only with your parking lights.

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

One thing to watch out. Make sure your fogs are not on the blue side. Why, since scattering is more with the blue end of the spectrum, than the yellow / red end. I have 3000K fogs in my Civic, I would probably have preferred 2700K. They are HID lights with at 55W (higher then the standard 35W Halogens). Users of LEDs should watch out, since LED lights do tend to be 'bluer'.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

Brio SMT

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      My old car had fog lights and I used them sometimes but found that the headlights were better. Present car does not have them and I don't miss them. I do drive a lot in foggy/snowy weather.
      I don't know about the Indian rules but in the EU, they should come on only with your parking lights.
      Glad to read this as I have read some people claiming that pot holes, speed breakers or bumps can be spotted easier with fog lights.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikkonen View Post
      I have read some people claiming that pot holes, speed breakers or bumps can be spotted easier with fog lights.
      If you look far ahead, you should spot pot holes and other obstacles. Otherwise, even the best fog light wont help. Just last month I crossed 2 mountain passes in Romania in fog and light snow and there were some pot holes but I never hit one. My speed was higher than the other road users but I could see where I was driving.

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikkonen View Post
      Glad to read this as I have read some people claiming that pot holes, speed breakers or bumps can be spotted easier with fog lights.
      Fogs are placed below the headlamps, and are diffuse. So these show up better.

I may add that when using fogs do NOT use a high beam.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

What a question! ☺️

Thank you for putting one up.

Indian car manufacturers certainly see fog lamps as an accessory for higher up models. Since it is relatively cheap to afterfit these lamps, I have seen 80% cars fitted with one for sure.

Are they meant to be decorative item in car? I guess lot of users use it for just aesthetic purposes. Does it help on foggy conditions? It sure does. It improves visibility by upto 30% in super fog conditions. In my XUV, I use them generally on Bangalore roads. It improves visibility by 5 to 10%. At traffic lights, and well illuminated roads, I keep the headlights off and just use parking lights (DRLs)and fogs. Fogs are super good to be used in such cases.

At the end of the day, is it good to have fog lights? Fore sure. In city, you can spare blinding the traffic with headlights on unnecessarily and on foggy days, have better visibility. With high beam on, I have never found much help with fogs.

┬┐me trae la cuenta, por
      favor?

Secret

Apart from front fog lamps, the rear fog lamps seem important. It is there to let the driver behind you see your car in heavy rain and fog.
      And it would be nice if the car in front also have them!

O_o

Awesome

LED Light bars and Fog lamps are to be used only when you're Offroad, in a deserted area where there are no street lights and no oncoming traffic or when you're heading to your farm house which is in the middle of the Jungle. you get my drift. Do not use these ON road.

I've had Fog lamps and LED Bars installed on all my cars but I have never used them on the road because these are Bright as hell and will be a pain for the driver in the vehicle ahead of you as well as coming your direction. I have used it once to Annoy mclaren1885 and that was it. also sometimes I turned them on to tell the tata Ace, Bus drivers and other morons who come with High beams and dont use low beam that I have more fire power. the Instant I turn all my LED and Fog lamps on, these guys dim their lights. worked like a charm.

Brio SMT

Secret

^^
      Fog lamps are very low and so should be ok I guess. But some people probably have too powerful one. I am not sure there are rules or people follow them lol

Quote Originally Posted by hombre View Post
      Apart from front fog lamps, the rear fog lamps seem important. It is there to let the driver behind you see your car in heavy rain and fog.
      And it would be nice if the car in front also have them!
      IMO hazard lights are best thing to let other cars know to keep away in foggy condition.

Thread Information