• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ICE Upgrade

What a CAR?

Awesome

ICE Upgrade

Starting this thread to provide on the details on my ICE upgrade
      Bitten by Linea Bug.... Now enjoying the MJD. Navigating with Sygic in Z1.

What a CAR?

Awesome

I have been ICE bound ever since I upgraded to Linea. Did some research and then installed the following post some six months of ownership
      1. Focal Polyglass
      2. Focal Coaxial
      3. Focal Solid 4
      4. Focal Solid 1
      5. 12" JL Sub
      6. JVC KD-R90BT

What a CAR?

Awesome

This installation was done some 7 years back and have been with it till now. Felt it is time to do an upgrade. Was looking out for options. Couple of my friends were also interested in getting their ICE upgraded/newly installed. The upgrade/install bug bit all of us sometime during September last year.

What a CAR?

Awesome

Started checking for various options and did a quite a few auditions as well. Chatted with Santosh and Kannan sir as well. Both suggested an addition of a DSP to go active and not changing/upgrading anything else as I was tight on budget. So started scouting for a DSP.

What a CAR?

Awesome

The following were the ones that I shortlisted - Mosconi DSP 6to8, miniDSP C-DSP 8to12, Helix DSP Pro and Alpine. The first two were the ones that I really wanted as the last two were way expensive. I also checked for some Kuruvi's to help me from US. As none was flying out I had to check for options in India.

What a CAR?

Awesome

The costing was definitely on the higher side. One evening when I was with Kannan sir, he suggested me to look out for an used one. In fact there was a listing for a Mosconi DSP in OLX. Had a chat with the seller but there was an issue in the pricing as the ask was on the higher side. I had quoted my pricing and there were negotiations going on. The seller wanted to hold on for a better pricing and hence waited for some other buyers' offer that would match his expectations. In the mean time spoke to Mosconi dealer in Chennai who was willing to extend some good discount as well. So was really tossing between the used one and a new one.

What a CAR?

Awesome

Was waiting for an update from the seller on Mosconi and in parallel was scouting for the DSP. Santosh advised me against Helix as the software was too buggy. Hence removed it out of contention. The other friends of mine in the meantime got hold of 80PRS and couple of other stuffs as well and a Kuruvi was bringing them to India. Could not request it then as felt it would be a big ask. Hence started looking out in India. Finally had an option to get from the US by only Feb 2018 as a known contact was willing to carry it from me.

What a CAR?

Awesome

Was checking out with Piyush on miniDSP and was in all likelihood closing on it; just that had to arrange some funds for getting it. The next consideration was whether to upgrade the existing speakers to the driver modules. Again Kannan sir's input enlightened me. He advised me to go with the upgrade of DSP alone check the output and then change if needed to a better speaker. The flip side of this is that fabrication needs to be done again. With cost consideration, I too was sold to this. I too reasoned to myself that this car being already 7 years old it is better to stick on with the DSP upgrade. And my hunt for the DSP continued.

What a CAR?

Awesome

By this time, the seller was willing to sell his Mosconi to a much lower price that initially quoted. Though it was above my quote, I decided to purchase it. We were supposed to close the deal by the first week end of November. Thanks to hectic schedule, I could not close it. In the mean time the seller found a buyer who offered him a better price and hence finalized it with him. With Mosconi gone, my hunt again continued.

What a CAR?

Awesome

With the Mosconi gone my dream of having the setup before the December long travel diminished drastically. Not only the DSP was an issue even the install was an issue. Was contemplating on going to Bangalore to get this done. Also, I had a discussion with Speed Freaks as well. Still did not rush with the setup.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information