• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a used suv

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Suggestions for a used suv

I have been looking forward to get myself a suv for sometime now and with a trip to Leh planned this year I think it's high time to get one now.
      So I am looking out for some suggestions.

Requirements:
      1) first and foremost has to be a proper offroad vehicle with AWD or 4x4 (with low range). i don't know which one will be better a AWD or 4x4. So, crossovers or soft roaders like brezza/creata are out.
      2) I am looking for a pre-worshipped one maybe a 2010ish model in the price bracket of 5 - 5.5 lakhs. Maybe can even stretch till 6 lakhs.
      3) has to have a decent ride quality for long distance drives. I don't expect a ride quality of a sedan, but it should atleast be on par with a swift.
      4) has to be able to carry atleast 4+ luggage.
      5) I don't care much about looks, but the utility and capabilities matter the most.
      6) must be able to cruise at 100-120 KMPH for the boring highway drives.
      7) it will be a 3rd vehlical so will only be used for 10-20 days a year that also on the adventure trips or off roading events.But I am a keeper and won't be eager to upgrade any time soon and will be planning more trips to Uttrakhand/tiebet Nepal the following years.

Basically I am planning to go to places like Leh/spiti in around May/October when there is lots of snow and slush. So the vehicle should be able to get me out of tricke situations efficiently.

Mods planned:
      1) a diesel tuning box or a remap if the vehicle is capable.
      2) a lift kit and also planning for custom bumpers for increased approach and departure angles.. If needed in the long run.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

now, aware that he can set his
      status here!

Awesome

Look for Safari in Delhi market. You should be able to find very good 2008 / 9 cars being disposed off due to the 10yr Diesel Vehicle rule.

Awesome

i would check them out. but i dont know if they can be registered in Punjab as they will be banned from plying in Delhi. Or is there no rule of suck kind ?

now, aware that he can set his
      status here!

Awesome

2008/9 is less than 10 years. Delhi issues NOC.

Awesome

Bitten By the 4x4 Bug. Now I want one.

most of your requirement and mindset is discussed here.

1. There are rarely if any AWD today that comes with 4-low. 1st gen fortuner with full time 4wd being only one I remember and it has been phased out.

Most AWDs like Duster, XUV do not have low range. So better choosing 4x4 over AWD because low range is such a blessing.

2. Your budget is perfect for a used Safari or Scorpio 4x4 from years 2009 to 2012. And these would be the better vehicles to buy.

If you can stretch to 7 lacs, you may get 1st gen Safari Storme also.

3. 3,4,5,6 safari does all this very well. Just watch out of Body roll. Speeds around 100 are perfect. Not recommended above 120.

4. Safari dicor (2nd gen) and 2nd gen Scorpio (before NGS) are easy to maintain as parts are available in open market. Just remove battery cable or invest in small battery tender. No problem with standing.

Mods-
      1. Dieseltronics costs for 26k and works on safari dicor 2.2 or scorp.
      2. Will be problem with stupid RTO rules and cops. Custom bumper could be treated as a bull bar.
      3. Most important part for snow/Slush. Splurge on best possible tyres you can.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      Bitten By the 4x4 Bug. Now I want one.

most of your requirement and mindset is discussed here.

1. There are rarely if any AWD today that comes with 4-low. 1st gen fortuner with full time 4wd being only one I remember and it has been phased out.

Most AWDs like Duster, XUV do not have low range. So better choosing 4x4 over AWD because low range is such a blessing.

2. Your budget is perfect for a used Safari or Scorpio 4x4 from years 2009 to 2012. And these would be the better vehicles to buy.

If you can stretch to 7 lacs, you may get 1st gen Safari Storme also.

3. 3,4,5,6 safari does all this very well. Just watch out of Body roll. Speeds around 100 are perfect. Not recommended above 120.

4. Safari dicor (2nd gen) and 2nd gen Scorpio (before NGS) are easy to maintain as parts are available in open market. Just remove battery cable or invest in small battery tender. No problem with standing.

Mods-
      1. Dieseltronics costs for 26k and works on safari dicor 2.2 or scorp.
      2. Will be problem with stupid RTO rules and cops. Custom bumper could be treated as a bull bar.
      3. Most important part for snow/Slush. Splurge on best possible tyres you can.
      For the second gen safari. Are you referring to the 2.2 vtt with bs3 or bs4 are there any more models? I understand that the first gen would be the 3.0L.
      I don't know how many models the safari has and what are the exact difference in those.

Awesome

1st gen was 1.9L TCIC. it was different body with 15 inch wheels and longer too.
      Then came dicor body which came in both 3.0L and 2.2 BS3/4
      Im talking about 2.2L BS3/4

latest generation is storme with Varicor 2.2 (Upgraded dicor) to 150hp/400 NM

Here are various engines
      1.9L 1948CC TCIC (No Ecu), 90BHP
      3.0L 2956CC FGT, 116 BHP/ 300 NM
      2.2L VTT, 2179CC VGT, 140Hp/320nm (Same block as Scorp & XUV, Designed by same AVL engineering)

Awesome

I'd recommend you stretch your budget a little and go for a used 2011 Ford Endeavour. That would fulfill all your requirements. The prices are around 7 lakhs for them.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Neil95 View Post
      I'd recommend you stretch your budget a little and go for a used 2011 Ford Endeavour. That would fulfill all your requirements. The prices are around 7 lakhs for them.
      Certainly not true bro.
      2010~2011 model will be absolute 1st gen fortuner which is now 2 generations old.
      And the price is 14~16 lacs. Certainly not 7 lacs anywhere. 7 lacs is price for Storme/Scorp. We live in 2018, Acche din, so prices are all time high.

This has been already discussed in detail over here-
      Should I Buy Used Tata Safari Storme After Using Mahindra XUV500?

here-
      Should I Buy Used Tata Safari Storme After Using Mahindra XUV500? - Page 2

Awesome

I spent some time on the used car sites looking out for options.

1) thars: quite a lot of them here in Chandigarh. They go from 4.5-6 lakh for a 2012-2014 model with running of around 40-60k KM's. Also most of the people have added the hardtops/rear seats and alloy tyres. So, I don't have to spend that much for modifying one to my needs.

2) safari: couldn't find any 4x4 in Chandigarh. Only 1 2011 model in Delhi for sale for 4lakhs. Meanwhile tons of 4x2 available for around 4lakhs.

3) Pajero: found few models from 2005-2009 going for 5 lakhs running was around 1 lakh for each.
      Meanwhile Pajero sports were in abundance but asking price was 12+ lakhs being a newer model.

4) fortuner: all of the models were 10+ lakhs. So out of budget.

5) endeavour: almost similar to old Pajero.

6) also found Hyundai Tucson / Honda CRv and yeti for around 5-6 but all of these are not discussed much and I think these are soft-roders rather than a 4x4.

I'll also try to find out if I can dig something up from Ludhiana or Jalandhar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information