• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Car Hits High Speed breaker - How to assess damage to alloys & suspension?

Polo --> Tucson

Hungry

Car Hits High Speed breaker - How to assess damage to alloys & suspension?

Hi GH folks,

Recently had a scare when I hit a high speed breaker at a speed of 60-70km/hr. While the car is behaving normal, I am still a bit worried about the impact on alloys and suspension. Is there a way for me to assess it myself or should I just visit the ASS? What are the symptoms I shoul dbe looking for?

Car: Tucson CRDi GLS AT

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_in_Disguise View Post
      What are the symptoms I shoul dbe looking for
      IMO, ff there aren't any visible damage to alloys and vehicle stability(no wobbling) is good in high speeds as earlier, you are good.
      Same regarding suspension, if they are still doing their job without making any undue noises, leaks, you are safe.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

A visit to ASC should help. There might be hidden damage not felt immediately.

Awesome

Seems you made 2 threads for the same topic
      I replied on the other one before seeing this
      I heard about a friend's friend who hit a speedbreaker during a test drive of the Jeep Compass and it came out unscathed even days later, seeing how tough the Tucson is after my own Tucson going on tough roads, I dont think there should be any immediate complications but Id still recommend getting it checked out

Funny thing, while buying our Tucson, we toyed with the idea of splurging on a GLC and the TD vehicle made some noises front front left suspension . Apparently it had hit a divider at high speed(around 80kmph) on the W.E.H in Mumbai(theres a stretch where a ridiculous divider appears for no reason at all on both sides and its easy to miss)
      Other than the noise, it drove pretty well and I took it onto some rough roads nearby which had literal craters and it did fine other than the noises

PS- bhvm You are the expert here, do you think there could be possible issues with his ball joint or lower arm?

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

You are supposed to slow down when you see a speed breaker. Its your car that you are damaging.

Polo --> Tucson

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      You are supposed to slow down when you see a speed breaker. Its your car that you are damaging
      Completely agreed. Just that the speedbreaker came up in a location where I was unable to see it in time and hence could not slow down enough

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      A visit to ASC should help
      That's the plan. Will be visiting over the weekend as weekdays are full of corporate drudgery
      Last edited by Nomad; 20th Mar 2018 at 06:30.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kkn13 View Post

PS- bhvm You are the expert here, do you think there could be possible issues with his ball joint or lower arm?
      The first thing to go off would be your wheel alignment. By the time you visually notice uneven wear on tyres, its already too late and tyres have suddenly lost 20~30% of their useful life. Its better to have car aligned for 3~400 bucks than that.

Other things are somewhat car specific. Damage to Bushings, Control arms or ball joints is possible. My Old Indigo used to chew bearings. And after 2~3k kms one would have loud buzzing sound. My i10 once lost front shocks the same way. I do not know if speedbreaker was exclusive cause or shocks were old anyways. But Speedbreaker (Car breaker) hit did the final nail in coffin, causing shocks to leak.
      My XUV lost a projector alignment by going over some hump.
      Safari is the most abuse friendly on such terrain, as it never bats an eyelid. Just tie rods need early replacement.
      Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      You are supposed to slow down when you see a speed breaker. Its your car that you are damaging.
      The damage, dear sir, Has already happened.
      To the brains of these road authorities who put random speedbreakers. There often is no Warning sign (esp on rural roads) and Breakers themselves are not painted. Also the breakers are much too tall and completely unscientific. and are located in zones where you suddenly approach doing 100+.
      I believe a westener will put his daily driver in AWD, engage diff lock maybe, and get a spotter out to cross these.

Polo --> Tucson

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      The first thing to go off would be your wheel alignment.
      Got the same checked at Hyundai ASS who were really helpful and proactive in checking. Alignment seems to be ok and did a visual check after lifting the car. Got an ok from the floor manager himself so seems to be ok for now.

thanks for the advice bhvm kkn13

Thread Information