• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USED car around 15 lacs?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

USED car around 15 lacs?

Around mid 2019 will be buying a new car. Budget will be of 15 lacs. With this money one can get a new c2 segment sedan or some crossover. These cars are more on the road and doesnt really turns heads and also they dont look great.So im thinking of getting a used car from segment above , My requirements are

1. Powerful engine-something which does 0-60 quick and cruises 140+ with no strain.

2. Driving oriented car,

3. Should look grand or sporty.

4. No SUV.

With this have shortlisted ,

1.passat-current one.

2. Jetta- 2014-2017 model and the pre facelift.

3. Superb -current one.

4. Ocatavia vrs and standard.

5. Camry but not corolla.

6. A4, A3,c-class,3 series. ( can add 5-10 lacs to budget)

My doubts are,

1. What is the best way to find cars, I was advised to go through specific used car dealers in chennai to get good cars . Is online websites a better option?

2. Has DSG become reliable? if something goes wrong how much does it cost to replace the whole unit?

3. What is the maintenance cost of passat/superb/camry per year?

4. If i get a merc/a4/a3/3 series ,How much will it cost to maintain in an outside service centre in chennai?

5. What are the important places in TN where such cars are easy to find. AFAIK chennai,coimbatore,sivakasi, tirpur are some places. Is there any other places?

6. Is buying car from another state car economically feasible?

Awesome

My two cents :Get the Octavia rs. Till mid 2019 we can expect some of them to be in the used car market.

It's not how fast you drive.
      It's how you drive fast.

Awesome

You have put your requirements out well. Used cars are a good option to try out interesting cars at competitive prices. You will need to spend time with the car to make it niggle free. So the ownership experience may not be a completely smooth one. Having said that, this option allows you you to savour some lovely options indeed. I see you in a bmw 328i with the windows down searching for a petrol bunk very soon .

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Plus using Tapatalk

love my country and love my
      vehicles

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sparkls View Post
      So im thinking of getting a used car from segment above
      Interesting thread....am watching it!!!

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

sparkls, Look out for cars from Coimbatore they've a very good taste in choosing & maintaining cars & you can get very good and well maintained cars there. With Tiruppur beside the luxury car market options will be a plenty. There are good FNG's to maintain these luxury beasts. And expect the annual maintenance to be on a higher side for the regular wear and tear parts than the Indian counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
      I see you in a bmw 328i with the windows down searching for a petrol bunk very soon
      Wow what a way to visualize

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

Awesome

no experience in this area but your prime consideration should include ASS support, maintenance cost and spare cost part as that is really important when buying a preowned car. Also, in India preowned cars are not cost effective if you actually calculate the yearly cost of ownership. Used cars are also financed at higher interest rates, don't get zero depreciation cover, are not eligible for extended warranty so all risk is yours.

For e.g. Bought Honda Amaze for around 8 lacs in 2014 current sale price is around 4.5 Lakhs. So annual cost of ownership is approx 1 lakhs per year. Somebody buys today for 4 lakhs sells after 3 years for 1 lakh. The cost of ownership is still 1 Lakh per year + higher maintenance. Its totally bollocks but thats how it is. Its because of aspirational value that a person looks over this calculation and buys an used Amaze over say a New Celerio. So think carefully before you leap
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25158-Sunday-Detailing-my-Honda-Amaze
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25582-The-Battle-of-Waxes

Brio SMT

Secret

If I were you and I would buy Abarth Punto some 140bhp, 4 disk brakes the newer model has AVN. So I guess apple carplay, andorid auto as well? Parts too probably are similar to Punto. I also like the alloys, design of it. Too bad nobody buys that car. If you are looking for sedan only then I guess skoda. May be Elantra petrol?. It has ventilated front seats and some 150bhp if I remember.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sparkls View Post
      Around mid 2019
      You mean mid of 2018 or 2019? If 2019, we are still an year away from it.

If I really have to pick used, I'll stick to German trios' for my garage. 2012-13 BMWs or Merc and AUDIs can be had for 13-15L range.

I will stick to online forums or word of mouth among friends. I'll go to dealer only if I have faith on him to make things work for me. It is difficult for me to trust one though.

I agree with LV that Coimbatore is good place. They have good taste in premium cars and its maintenance.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      You mean mid of 2018 or 2019? If 2019, we are still an year away from it.
      2019. Just like to get an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      If I really have to pick used, I'll stick to German trios' for my garage. 2012-13 BMWs or Merc and AUDIs can be had for 13-15L range.
      They are at 10-15 lacs. My relative has a used one of E90 3 series but spent considerable amount because of his dependance on ASC. But still i want one.

Quote Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
      I see you in a bmw 328i with the windows down searching for a petrol bunk very soon

BMW328i are so rare.

Awesome

VAG with DSG is a big no-no
      My SIL owned Polo , I had Superb TSI.Both sold within 4 years after tonnes of issues and maintenance costs

I got the vibe to switch to a new used luxury car recently and every German I test drove felt old and outdated- missing spare wheel, reverse camera, parking sensors, jerky DSG transmission (owing to usage in city traffic given it has 2 clutches meaning double the heat and double the wear and tear)

Honestly with that kind of budget, Id pick a used CRV (My previous car), it lasted 10 years and was very light on the pocket and miles more reliable than any German, has a very free revving 2.4 IVTEC that just flies, transmission is a bit old school but miles more reliable than DSG and certainly more than adequate. Build is easily on par with Germans and highway stability is also awesome , it tackled corners with ease and the latest CRV fixes a lot of stuff but we went with Tucson this time around owing to petrol kmpl(worth the trade off admittedly)
      We also have an ML350 and a Q5 in our family garage, used as white elephants

Another great option is a Jeep Compass, if new. these two cars certainly put psuedo luxury cars such as the ones you mentioned above to shame

I know you mentioned no SUVs but these are crossover SUVs that do what sedans and full size SUVs do best and take alot of good characteristics of both, excellent for our roads. Take this advice from someone who has seen both sides- Sedans VS SUVs, Europeans VS Japanese car makers, Petrol VS Diesel, Naturally Aspirated VS Turbocharged, Automatic VS Manual.

That said there is one German maker who is constantly tempting me - BMW
      BMW + BSI is absolute peace of mind and having your cake and eating it too, certainly more reliable than the likes of VAG cars but beware of hydrostatic lock problems , BMWs are notorious for this flaw even though all Germans seem to be facing this flaw big time compared to others.

Frankly Id go for a new Jeep Compass instead, very vfm and ticks all the boxes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information