• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to find my car's engine air Intake point?

Hello friends

Awesome

Even i would like to know where the air intake sits for my polo. If anyone knows please do enlighten. Sometimes you just can avoid going through a water logged area. Recently I had to cross one which was apparently not much but then it got deeper and deeper and so did the fear. But I didn't face any issues afterwards so probably everything is fine. So an idea of the air intake would be great for future reference.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

If you need to drive in water levels above the floorboards, you can just open the cover of the air filter and air will be sucked in from that level. I experienced floods in Romania that were higher than the floorboards and much lower than my air intake. My air intake is on the side at the same level as the top edge of my front wheels. I parked at a safe place and walked while the roads were blocked by stalled cars. It is better getting you feet wet than ruining the engine of the car.

pixelshots.blogspot.com

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by derPoltergeist View Post
      So did you find the air intake, georjo ?
      Towards the bottom part of the airfilter box i can see an opening. I guess thats it. Not sure.

What i can see is this is somewhat at a level of the third strand of my cars front grill. Waterlevels more than half of the tyres can be fatal.

Was just thinking what if i fix an extention tube from that intake to the airfilter box's top lid level, like a mini internal snorkel.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by georjo View Post
      Towards the bottom part of the airfilter box i can see an opening. I guess thats it. Not sure.
      This is not the air intake. This is the drainage pipe and a short rubber hose is missing from this one.

pixelshots.blogspot.com

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      This is not the air intake. This is the drainage pipe and a short rubber hose is missing from this one.
      Hmm then i need to search for intake again..will try to openup the filter box next time and find it out.

Welcome, Torpedo. 2013 VW
      Jetta TDI with DSG.

Awesome

georjo there is s simple method to find this.

First locate the air filter housing. it's usually ra square or rectangular box in front of you when you open the bonnet of your car.

There will be one large (fat) pipe going to the back of the engine bay. Typically it will have a gizmo with some wires plugged into that fat pipe. That should be your MAF sensor.

Now. Instead of going towards the back of the engine bay, look where the square / rectangular box goes to the front of the car.

That square / rectangular box is the air filter housing.

The front of that box will lead you to the air inlet.. It will be either to the front of the car (behind the radiator grill / on top quarter of radiator grill) or to the side (passenger side wheel well.

If it is difficult, send me a picture of your engine bay and i will help you identify the air box. Edit: if you post a picture of the full engine bay i might even help you locate the inlet. Sometimes the inlet is at the same level of the air box in the engine bay.

Hope this helps.
      September 2013 (Mk.6.) 2.0 VW Jetta TDI with DSG, Highline.

Betta Getta Jetta

内部、燃える

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

1. Air intake for most indian cars are somewhere below headlight or inside fenders.
      The Air filter is mounted slightly above actual air intake height. This is done so as to allow easy serviceability as well as protection from rats etc (Nominal protection)

2. There are incidences like earlier gen Honda Amaze and few other cars has air intake way too low and cars would hydrolock just going through puddles etc. So every car is unique in that way.

3. Most cars will not have an open hole for air intake. There is a plastic tube going sidewys from air filter. This tube opens up under headlight or inside of Femders. In my cars it goes into Driver side Fender and opens below plastic cladding of Front driver wheel well. If the plastic cladding is missing, there is a good chance that water will directly splash into air intake from tyre.

4. Apart from air intake, There are many electronics and sensors in Modern cars that cause major trouble. The rule is, if you can't walk through the water easily, your car can't either. If you MUST cross water, go walk thorough it first. You'll become dirty but will thank yourself afterwards.

Of course, do not get into flowing or deep water.

5. Most SUVs advertise water wading capacity but its actually not much. Old Safari is at 350mm. XUV is at 300mm. Old gen fortuner is at 700mm. New range rover I believe is 800mm. make sure you know your car.
      General rule of "half the tyre height" works well for most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by georjo View Post

What i can see is this is somewhat at a level of the third strand of my cars front grill. Waterlevels more than half of the tyres can be fatal.

Was just thinking what if i fix an extention tube from that intake to the airfilter box's top lid level, like a mini internal snorkel.

This is a drain hole. In case the water does get into air filter, it has a chance to drain from here.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      Usually, to get cold air into your engine and to also produce a ram air effect, manufacturers do design intakes such that they are placed behind the front grills of most cars or in the wheel wells of some cars like the erstwhile Baleno.
      Partially true.
      Most civilian cars will never have air intakes located so as to have direct Ram air effect. Thats only true for race cars.
      The simple fact being that if air intake is located to create the ram effect, it will cause massive water and dust intake during normal rains/Roads. Even washing your car would hydrolock it.

The colder air issue is solved by locating air intakes inside wheel wells, away from main engine compartment so as to not suck hot enginebay air.

The ram effect you are talking about is true about intercoolers. Such as Top mounted intercooler on old Fortuner with duct in front to direct cool air.
      Also, XUV engine guard has designed air tunnels to direct air from upper areas grille onto top mounted intercooler. Safari storme has very lower mounted intercooler with no ducts. This is prone to getting hits during off-roading compared to older safari.
      Last edited by bhvm; 30th Aug 2018 at 10:51.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information