• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bangalore to Chennai route and pitstop info

Super Moderator
      not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Drove to Chennai last night. Started from Airlines Hotel (after a quick meet with Venky (Free Willy)) at 10:30 pm and was at Chennai at my residence at 3:15 am. Took a 20 minute break at Coffee Day Sulagiri.

The Bangalore Elevated Tollway on Hosur Road cuts down a lot of time, provided the traffic is sp**** and ruly. Starting from Airlines Hotel at 10:30 pm, I was at Cafe Coffee Day (just before the Sulagiri bypass) at 11:40 pm. Left CCD at 12:00 am and drove non-stop to Chennai.

I choose this particular HP bunk to stop because
      1. fuel is cheaper in TN and it makes to tank up in TN whenever possible
      2. separate sections for trucks and cars / bikes
      3. CCD attached
      4. Super clean toilets
      5. Not much crowd late at night

Road conditions remain good throughout. Since it was late night, I couldn't spot too many places but the list of pitstops is updated to:

1. Club HP, Hosur - restaurants attached
      2. HP at Sulagiri - Cafe Coffee Day (24 hours) & one more restaurant attached, super clean 'fleurs' toilets
      3. BP at Chinnar - Adayar Ananda Bhavan - overcrowded picnic spot - clean toilets but crowded
      4. Hotel Chola - 2.5 km after the Vaniyambadi toll plaza on the LHS
      5. Hotel Landmark (previously called Motel Rosin) - 15 km after the Vaniyambadi toll plaza on your left - Decent food and OK toilets
      6. Motel Deepam, almost immediately after the Pallikonda toll plaza on the RHS - OK food and clean toilets
      7. Hotel Grand Krishna at Sathuvachari - good food, ok toilets
      Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
      Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
      Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

Forum Leader

Awesome

Hrishi, is the elevated roadway complete all the way from Silk Board Jn to Attibele?
      H V Kumar

Caffeine Addict

Awesome

I think only the Silk board flyover is complete. the other 2 flyovers after that are still WIP

Caffeine Addict

Awesome

rishi how was the traffic around bangalore and hosur at 10:30pm ?

Super Moderator

Awesome

Just after Silk Board to Electronics City: flyover is complete
      Chandapura and Attibele: incomplete flyovers

Ravin - From Airlines Hotel to Sulagiri bypass took me 70 minutes - post 9 pm, traffic generally is light until 11 pm, after which the buses take off causing chaos esp. near Hosur busstand.

Super Moderator

Awesome

Few more pitstops:

Vasavi Hotel - Krishnagiri - on the LHS just after you get onto NH7 towards Bangalore from NH46
      Sakthi Ganapathy - Kanchipuram - on the LHS as you get onto Kanchipuram bypass coming from Madras and just before the railway overbridge (line leading to Arakkonam)

Awesome

Hi all,

I need to drive down to Chennai with family on this Sunday Feb 21. Need some help from highway experts/Chennai experts as to how to reach TNHB Colony, Tambaram Sanatorium without getting into Chennai city traffic. I have to make this a day trip - leave BLR at 5 AM, be back in BLR by 10 PM latest.

Google maps gives this:

How is this SH 110? In Karnataka, I would be scared $hitless when I think of taking an unknown 'SH'. Many times, the SH is basically to line the PWD and contractors' pockets than for any kind of driving. I know TN is mostly better, but just wanted to check - any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
      Cheers.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Matiz 2000-03; Indica DLS 2006-09;Honda City CVT 2006-;Getz CRDI 2009-

Super Moderator

Awesome

The route is OK - will not be GQ grade but not horrible either. You might encounter some truck traffic but it will still save you time.

The turn off is marked well - once you cross the Nokia factory on your right and Coromandel Club on your left, the road turns right and you will see a BP bunk on the RHS. The exits to Chengalpattu and Tambaram are almost immediately after the BP bunk on the RHS. The GQ surface itself is slightly uneven at this point so you can't miss this place to turn off.

Awesome

Hrag - thanks. I took this route - SH110 turned off from GQ. Like you said, it is average but very doable. We left Koramangala at 4.15 PM, were there at this turn off (Sriperumbudur) at 10 PM (inclusive of 10 mins lost due to one-side only being usable owing to an accident near Hosur, 1 fuel/tea break of 25 min, 1 loo break of 10 min, 1 dinner break of 45 min). After we entered this road, we have to take a right turn after around 2-3 km (if you go straight, that apparently goes to Pallavaram) and then on, go straight till a T junction, then left again and keep going - we hit some main road in Tambaram West, which keeps meandering, forking into two parts (one ways) occassionally, merging again etc., and finally hits GST just a km before the sanatorium which we got to after turning left on GST (i.e., North East away from Trichy towards Chennai). Took 45 min for these 21 kms. Road quality strictly average - pot holes, uneven shoulders, occasional loose stones, but no unmarked humps (actually the unmarked humps are the default in Karnataka in most state highways - dunno why).

On the way back, I did what can rank as one of the stupidest things in my life. I heard that they are upgrading the SH57 (S'perumbudur to Singaperumalkovil on NH45 link) to a six lane road. Thought I will take that as it may be faster. Boy, was I wrong! It was 20 kms of sheer torture over gravelled, potholed, single laned, 1st/2nd gear road with about 3 more km of well paved 'half' of a six laner. Took 1hr 20m for 23 kms. Moral of the story - do not know, since I was told by an Indica taxi driver that the road is 'good'!

So, the SH57 is off-limits at least for another year, while SH110 is a decent alternative.

Cheers.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Matiz 2000-03; Indica DLS 2006-09;Honda City CVT 2006-;Getz CRDI 2009-

Super Moderator

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post17654.html#p17654
      curious ยป 22 Feb 2010 21:13[/url]]
      So, the SH57 is off-limits at least for another year, while SH110 is a decent alternative.
      If you were as far as Singaperumal Koil, you could have tried SH58 to Kanchipuram instead via Palur - Walajabad

Funny thing is - my normal time from Thiruvanmiyur to the toll plaza at Sriperumbudur is 60 minutes. I have done it in 40 minutes when lucky. You might have been better off taking the GST Road - St. Thomas Mount - Porur - Poonamalee route.

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information