• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Yamaha vs Denon vs Marantz vs Onkyo vs NAD vs Pioneer AVRs

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      I am extremely happy with this setup. Polk S55s keep surprising me. I will get Polk S30 center channel soon. That will be done for my requirements. Adding a sub only if I am not happy.
      Please try out the following

(1) Keep the Polk S55s bit wider away from the TV and listen
      (2) Raise the Polk S55s bit higher (higher than the ear level while seated on the couch) using a pedestal which does not rattle/vibrate
      (3) When you get the center channel speaker, place it below the TV and then above the TV and listen

check whether you can feel the difference.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

A bit of width between the speakers would greatly help in stereo separation.

Coasting...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      ELAC 5.2 23.5k, 6.2 at 30k and FS52 ar 27k.
      rksingh1 which showroom did you get this quote from - I'd like to go there next - get speakers to pair with an Aventage RX-A870BL that I picked up a year back.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by derfaultier View Post
      which showroom
      Dynox Home Theater : 1st Floor, 2935, Mahakavi Kuvempu Rd, D-Block, Gayatrinagar, Rajajinagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560010 (Its very close to KRRaj's house)

Remember, they may not have the items for demo all the time. When I went, I could audition only ELAC 5.2 and FS52 was boxed.

AV Zone in Delhi has quoted me good prices (almost always 20% discount), if you are fine getting your items shipped. If you want to procure these locally, contact Harish at 94837 08942. Mention my name (Ravi) and Polk S55+Yamaha combo reference - avail the best price you can get in Bangalore.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

rksingh1

that is a nice 3 part vlog for unboxing and initial impressions for AVR, Speakers and set up process. nicely done. looked like lot of physical work for your wife. i could understand excitement of little one. you won't miss the surround speakers for couple of more years as you would often hear "Daddy ... I am here" sound which is better than any surround set up can give you.

Regarding, the Made in Malaysia, Yes, Yamaha assembles consumer products in Malaysia, but many of subsystems, components might be made in china and imported into malaysia and assembled there to make use of ASEAN FTA provisions/benefits and also other trade related sensitivities.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 12.04.41 PM.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	236513

your summary at the end is spot on, Japanese equipment does not need much of a Wizzard (compared to American or European equipment), i have often seen that it is self setting type.

keep up your passion for gadgets and continue with your video logs, i understand it is lot is lot of efforts, some of it gets reduced as you get into a rhythm and trim the post processing steps.

Last edited by Nomad; 21st Jun 2019 at 11:37.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

It is almost a month with the setup. For almost 10 days, I was away to Kolkata on work - and I terribly missed my home and HT.

The Yamaha DSP are not marketing gimmick - they really work. It is so wonderful to see to virtual surround with front two towers. The quality of speakers are great and they continue to impress me. As per Nomad's suggestion, I moved the front towers around a feet apart. Helped with better sound separation. Animation movies liked Tangled and Big Hero 6 sounded great. The Jungle Book became hit with it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190617_082142__01.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	236730

The challenge I have seen is variation in sound levels mainly while watching TV. On few days, I see myself doing -28dB and on other days, I get the same sound level at -34dB. I enabled/disabled DRC in Yamaha - no effect. I ensured the set top box is set to full all the time. Anyway - not a big bother.

I ordered Polk S30 today - hoping to get it delivered today. It is expected to improve dialogues and conversations of our movie and TV watching experience. I'll post an unboxing video of that as well - as and when I get it done. That should bring the setup to 3.0 and that'll be it for now. Adding sub doesn't look like a need for me now.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

I added the center channel over the weekend. Here is its unboxing and setup and initial impressions video:

Like I mentioned in the video - I am struggling with variable audio from Prime Video played over X96 mini android box.

I get the classic problem of low dialog volume but high background music/music or other sound. It means I need to keep adjusting the volume all the time. Whenever a song will play, I'll need to reduce the volume by 20% and then bring it back up when some dialogs arebeing spoken. If there is a dialog and background music, I'll hear background music more than the dialogs.

This started happening when I added the center channel to the setup. With just front towers, I didn't have any problem. While this is more prominent with Prime Video on X96, the issue still persists (quiet less) while watching Star Movies HD off of TataSky.

Dialog lift is pushed to max in Yamaha AVR. Front towers are set to large and bi-amped in configuration. Center channel is set to small. There is no frequency or level set for any of the speakers.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

rksingh1, Check if you've volume Normalization option in your Yamaha Receiver. That is a common problem between different sources / channels to have varying volume levels and we've to reduce / increase the volume. Forget about AVR's and towers, even on normal TV itself you could have the same problem. Unfortunately there's no easy or straightforward solution to this

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information