• Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Loaded Gun- Chevrolet Magnum TCDii

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

The Loaded Gun- Chevrolet Magnum TCDii

This loaded gun blew me away.
      It asks- "do you feel lucky, Punk!?" and then proceeds to blow your brains all over the driver seat headrest(in a nice way of course)
      At 10.5 lacs on road, you get the 2.0 liter diesel with a VGT. makes 120hp and in excess of 300NM torque stock.
      4wheel discs, ABS and airbags
      Independent suspension all round
      Spacious interiors and leather upholstery, climate control
      power windows, mirrors

It doesnt have the glamour of a Cruze, but the pleasure of raw acceleration it gives on flooring the go pedal is sinful.
      Engine
      This car feels faster than anything else I've driven in India. The Cruze might be better at numbers or even the 0-100 timings, but delicious low end torque that is available from 2k RPM is just unbeatable.
      Nothing else in this price bracket comes close- The Verna, Vento, Elantra, Cruze. This is what a diesel should feel like.
      Please note, I'm not even considering the petrols.
      I'm not a huge fan of the peaky petrol style power delivery that is becoming a fad on diesels these days.

I want my torque, I want all of it, and I want it now. (Atleast at 2k rpm)

The car delivers at 2k.
      actually it starts pulling respectably from 1.5k, but the madness unleashed at 2k is just awesome.

There is turbo lag, like all self respecting diesels, but definitely not enough to cause driveability issues.

Braking
      I drove the base version, without ABS, and it was running acceleres. I didnt lock up the tires even once. I could see the salesman being held back by the seatbelt everytime I braked, but the car stayed very well balanced throughout. It can only get better with ABS.

Suspension
      Lovely ride comfort. I would willingly sacrifice some of it for a little less body roll, but, understandably, this car is built for middle aged doctors, not boy racers like me. So ride comfort wins.
      Still the body roll is predictable, and never severe enough to unsettle the car.
      I did not find the roads to try quick changes in direction, but the car does feel heavy and solid. Thats not bad, but I'm unsure on how eager it would be when it is put through a slalom through the idukki ghat roads.

Its handling is predictable. No doubt about it. The rest is upto the driver.
      I couldnt get it to understeer or oversteer at 100 on a reasonably tight curve, so, its good.
      Basically, if you're a sensible driver with average skills, this car can be hustled through corners without any tragedy.
      Note- I say tragedy. Doesnt mean there wont be drama. I'm sure if I pushed hard enough I could get the front end to wash out.
      I also got the feeling that if I had some more time,a bit more road, and a braver salesman, I could have gotten the tail to step out.
      It was a bit distracting to have him whimper and moan in the co driver's seat while the TD was going on.

Gearshifts were nice. Accurate and plush.

Ergonomics
      Steering and the drivers seat can be adjusted manually. I found the driving position quite comfortable, and the seats sufficiently supportive during my 20 min TD.
      Seating position was a bit low for me, even with the seat at full height. I blame my parents for that. Not Chevrolet. The pedals are placed well for Heel and toeing.
      Forward visibilty is decent.View to the side when negotiating junctions is good, and the A pillar is not overly thick to make blind spots.
      Rearward visibilty is not that great, but the motorised mirrors do help during parking and reversing.
      The steering control stalks are on the "wrong" side

This car makes more sense than any of the D segment sedans right now. Wonder why it doesnt sell ?!!!!
      Especially with that fantastic service package on offer. 36k for 3yrs or 45000kms all inclusive(labour, parts, consumables) they will even replace the clutch assembly once,for free, if you break it in that period. Shows how much confidence they have in their products.
      I love the new Chevrolet attitude. They run around a lot in order to make you happy.
      I've asked my Dad to reconsider his decision on the Cruze.
      I love this car. As far as I'm concerned, this is still the Diesel rocket. Not the Cruze.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I am not a great fan of diesels but I loved your review Ripper.
      I don't know what's gonna happen man but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames

Secret

you mean the optra magnum eh...I've heard some good reviews about its engine but nothing more than that..did not see any reviews which made it sound as exciting as you did Ripper.
      Frankly speaking I didn't think this car was still on sale..
      www.codereddy.wordpress.com

Awesome

Good review Ripper. I did a test drive with CRUZE last week and I was blown out and I am longing to write a TD report on my test drive.
      Never got a chance to ride Optra Magnum,but your review on the power factor of the vehicle supports what I've heard about Magnum.I wish Magnum had a little more appealing looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      Seating position was a bit low for me, even with the seat at full height. I blame my parents for that. Not Chevrolet
      I loved it.But again cant it drill down to your ancestors as well? ( I haven't seen your parents)

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      blew me away.

do you feel lucky, Punk, I want all of it, and I want it now.

It was a bit distracting to have him whimper and moan in the co driver's seat
      were you test driving the car or the salesman?

Awesome

For me,the old optra looked classier than the new one(post the facelift)

Think the reason for low sales volume is because the car does look out of place and looks cheaper when compared to the cars in the same segment(exterior).

Even though it comes with a great engine and VFM price tag,I beleive it needs a complete makeover.

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

Ripper you left out the part where you compare a stock magnum to a stock verna in terms of handling.
      Did it feel as dangerous as a verna (with or without bigger tires on a verna)?
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

Awesome

Nice crisp review there Ripper. Chevrolet has been offering good discounts recently on the Optra.

Did you find the engine free revving, how much did you rev it up to ?
      Last edited by sdp1975; 2nd Nov 2010 at 17:15.
      ~ 2009 Punto E Pk Multijet

Forum Leader
      Diesel till I die!

Awesome

optimus_prime-The magnum handles far better than the stock verna.
      There is no terror like that caused by the totally unpredictable rear wobble of the verna mid-corner at 100kmph.

Godfather- You could liken the salesman to a barrier that prevents one from enjoying fully. Be assured, only the magnum was TDed.

iamgillu-Yes, I suppose you're right, I'll have to curse my entire ancestry for the poor visibilty in the optra. Not just my parents.

Trojan- yes, the car does look dated. which was the main objection my dad had when I asked him to cancel the Cruze.

avinash- there you go! You didnt even know the car was on sale. Thats how poor the advertising is. This poor car has been hobbled from the word go.

@everyone- glad you liked the review.
      There seems to be sum ting wong with the multiquote option.
      Please subscribe to the #Cochin hashtag for notifications on the Cochin meets.

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

Ripper - Select multi quote for each post you want to quote. For the last quote select "Reply with Quote", and you'll be transferred to the posting page with all your quotes.
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information