• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Gen Verna!

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

Next Gen Verna!

i've been on the look out for a car/crossover for some time [for more than a year].

basic requirements: engine had to be turbo powered and transmission has to be an automatic [at least a slush box if not DSG]. though i love sedans, every time i encounter a pothole or really bad roads on highways - i would swear that i would never buy a sedan!

well, 1+ year is a pretty long time to consider/checkout various options... so here you go!

Contenders:

Vento Diesel DSG :: i like the understated looks of Vento and of course DSG gearbox! but, somehow Vento never looked 'new' to me [even in showroom!]

Vento 1.2 tsi DSG : same as above and smaller engine. i know it is powerful and all - somehow after driving smaller capacity engines, i've always wanted a engine capacity of at least 1.5ltr. though it was never a stated criteria - but somehow i'm averse to small capacity engines.

Rapid Diesel DSG : honestly, i liked the looks but stayed away due to heavy dosage of unfavorable Skoda ASS stories. again basically decade old design/car.

Ecosport : it lacks automatic option in Diesel - otherwise it would've been a no-brainer!

Duster Diesel AMT : i really like the looks of Duster - even after so many years i think the butch look is timeless! AMT gearbox is manageable and out on highway it is such a beauty - felt almost no fatigue even after non-stop drives! but my close friend who had bought Duster few months earlier was adamant that i buy something else - 'why have the same car again in the group' - was his argument. dated interiors is the only drawback in it - otherwise at the current price it is definitely a VFM offering.

Harrier : i had been closely following developments wrt Harrier.. and booked it straight on day 1 of launch. but they never launched an automatic version. at around 20 lacs on road, it was expensive too. when i checked it out personally, felt it was huge and bloated from outside.. somewhat like Fortuner. overall i like the looks of it though it looks a bit goofy in person. Anyway ended up cancelling the booking after Tata motors support confirmed there won't be any automatic launch soon.

i never really checked out Creta as an option. Nothing to hate about it and at the same time nothing exciting either. Plus the number of Creta s on road are second only to swift dzire[taxies] plus it costs close to Jeep money for a fully loaded option. Tata Nexon was never a contender purely because of looks [especially side silhouette of Indica].

after several months of searching for alternate options - started looking at used cars! I had set around 12 lacs as my budget for used car options:

pre-ownded Jetta DSG -2015 : what a car! 2ltr diesel with superb DQ250. And i Just love the looks.. even better than Vento . started reading up on forums on possible issues/niggles with it. Enquired about ground clearance too.. was assured that with multi-link suspension at the rear, car doesn't sag much on loading. but good examples were costing above 16 lacs on road. i don't wanted to settle for a car with high mileage. another issue that bothered me was length of the car! at 4.7 mts it is looong..

pre-ownded Next Gen Verna : i like the looks of next gen Verna better than other versions. Also the fact that it's practically just a shorter version of Elantra made it so much more desirable. But the used diesel automatic options were costing around 13 lacs

Next Gen Verna :

On one fine weekend, my close buddies who had come over to my place for a house party declared that they'll make sure that i book/buy a car on that week! We started another round of test drives of cars from showrooms around my location (Renault, Volkswagen and Hyundai). Ultimately at Hyundai dealership an SA mentioned about availability of 2018 Verna at good discounts. It was a display car in bright orange . The on road price of car was very tempting and made the used car options look very expensive (when you factor in the insurance, warranty, interest rates and depreciation etc). It almost looked like no-brainer.

we requested TD vehicles (Verna/creta) to be brought home for a test drive for family members. both Verna and Creta were liked by all except for remark against Verna for being cramped at the rear. It wasn't even as accommodating as my brother's amaze at the rear. though it's a concern but isn't a deal breaker for me. on any of these TDs car didn't bottom out on speed humps. also couple of Verna users assured me that low GC of car hasn't posed any problem for them on Bangalore roads. right now the only hurdle in booking the car was it's colour!! It might look ok on a performance cars but on a everyday commuter would be little too much. me and my wife both didn't like the colour but since there was no other option we ended up booking it.

the Orange Santra!
      Name:  PicsArt_06-03-09.02.37_2.png
Views: 142
Size:  588.0 KB

all this happened on a Friday. color of the car was something which both i and my wife didn't really liked it - later that evening tried calling other Hyundai
      franchisees [there are only 2 more - Blue and Trident] inquiring about availability of any 2018 Verna Diesel Automatic - but both confirmed in negative. but...

Monday around afternoon i received a call from a Trident Hyundai SA that there is a 2018 Verna Diesel Automatic available in Black colour!! i straight away asked him if he can match/better the price what Advaith Hyundai quoted for the demo car - after several rounds of discussions/negotiations he got an approval for 'special price' which matched earlier offer of Advaith. i showed him my booking with Advaith and i asked for inspection of the car even before booking the car again with Trident. i was to cancel earlier booking only after checking the 'Black' car in person. next day visited Trident yard on the outskirts of city:

-the car was all covered in dust but interiors were pristine with all cellophane cladding intact
      -looked under the hood, wheel wells etc for any sign of rust/dent - every thing looked clean
      -cranked the car - it started with usual diesel clatter and settled in relaxed idle
      -much of the paint looked in good nic under the dust
      -tires were of Bridgestone make [Ecopia], looked good without any cracks
      -ODO reading was at around 30kms
      -took picture of VIN number on driver side door

after satisfying myself returned home and booked 'Verna' no 2. at this point i still hadn't cancelled my booking with Advaith. point to mention about dealerships - i would've loved to get the car from Advaith if not for colour. Trident is pathetic from the word go but can't help when one is looking for one off deals.

so here comes the car in Black!
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190603_211529.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	236374

it's more of a heart[pre-owned Jetta DSG] vs mind[Verna] fight where i finally ended up listening to mind and bought myself a run-of-a-mill car.

personally for me from Carbon to Verna is a major change in driving dynamics
      -from petrol to diesel
      -from NA to Turbocharged
      -manual gearbox to slushbox

but still driving around in a 4.4 mtr long sedan didn't prove to be that big a change in traffic. of course barring the new car apprehension, maneuvering around city is pretty simple. turning radius of this car is similar to or better than that of Carbon! drive in the car feels like 'm always riding torque wave. manual override on gearbox is surprisingly quick - probably my pre-conditioning of mind helped me here.

more to follow..

Save the endangered species!! Save the Two Strokes!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130855790280909/

Linea MJD

Secret

Congratulations on new car.

You seem to be a complex guy. You don't like Vento/Rapids, though capable, for them being decade old basically. At the same time you like Duster, though it is also about a decade old. And you did not buy the SUV you liked and gave exclusivity wanted by your friend, went ahead with a sedan which once you vowed to not buy !

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by limraj View Post
      Congratulations on new car.
      You seem to be a complex guy. You don't like Vento/Rapids, though capable, for them being decade old basically. At the same time you like Duster, though it is also about a decade old. And you did not buy the SUV you liked and gave exclusivity wanted by your friend, went ahead with a sedan which once you vowed to not buy !

No joke, you've absolutely summed up my decision process! I couldn't have put it better.. thanks to you for that!
      I finally ended up buying 'uncle' wala car!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Congrats Som!!! Looks great, any cosmetic mods done? The Verna is sure a good looker. Which variant is this? Autobox in top variant was introduced only recently IIRC. How is the ride on our awesome potholes?
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Congratulations on the purchase bhpistorqintorpm. Wish you a happy ownership!
      FiiO X7 Mark II - HELIX DSP PRO MK2 - TRU Billet v2 B41-S - MOREL Elate Ti 602 - MOREL Ultimo Ti 102

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      Congrats Som!!! Looks great, any cosmetic mods done? The Verna is sure a good looker. Which variant is this? Autobox in top variant was introduced only recently IIRC. How is the ride on our awesome potholes?
      thanks KRRaj

you're right, this is SX+ variant, SX(O) in diesel is introduced recently. ride is good, bumps do not get filtered so much into cabin -i've been taking it slow over those broken roads/potholes. ended up taking few of those smaller-multiple highway bumps at good speeds[couldn't spot them in the rains] - it wasn't much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      Congratulations on the purchase bhpistorqintorpm. Wish you a happy ownership!
      thanks keerthi !

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Congratulations. Black Verna aren't that common on the road. Looks good. Wish you many miles ahead.

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

delivery experience was pathetic at Trident. car was all dirty - that is after their free Teflon coating treatment! i had to personally accompany SA with the car to their service center and oversee the car cleaning. excuse by SA was that water-wash is no more allowed. but that doesn't mean you deliver a dirty car! i made sure they polish and clean the car properly.

it was evening by the time we took delivery of the car. we spent close to 4 hours at showroom/service center. my worry at this time was getting the tyre upgrade. called up Madhus and informed them that i'll be coming over for a tyre upgrade [i had inquired about tyre upgrade at few places earlier, but due to delayed delivery i had to shelve all other plans].

and here are the new tyres - yes i 'upgraded' to desi MRFs! around a week before delivery, if somebody had asked me to upgrade to MRF, i would've laughed at them. but after speaking to couple of people and reading few reviews online - decided on MRF Perfinza! original choice was Conti MC5s - but they seem to have soft sidewall. and Verna has one of lowest side profile tyres for an 'uncle wala' car. it should've had 15inch wheels with higher profile - to protect against our unpredictable road conditions. i did upgrade to next profile in 16inch though [from 195/55 R16 to 205/55 R16].

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190523_184919_2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	981.3 KB 
ID:	236389

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Congratulations on getting the Uncle car. You have put mrf tyres on it. Now you become the typical Uncle.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rain, Rain, Come Again

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by bhpistorqintorpm View Post
      Next Gen Verna :
      Quote Originally Posted by bhpistorqintorpm View Post
      personally for me from Carbon to Verna is a major change
      Congratulations on your new car, great choice, drive safe, wish you happy miles and smiles.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information