• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Quest to Improve Sound While Retaining HU

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Question Quest to Improve Sound While Retaining HU

Hi All

I have a new Creta which comes with 4 Speakers, 2 Tweeters and a touchscreen HU which also has the GPS functionality which is controlled by steering mounted buttons.
      Sound quality is really average and the Bass, Non existent...
      Objective: Improve Sound quality & add bass & get a surround sound effect if possible without changing the HU
      I visited a famous shop called Motorsound in Mulund - Mumbai and was offered the following advice
      - Add a set of Vibe Component Speakers to the front
      - Add a set of Vibe Co-Axial speakers to the rear
      - Add a Vibe Hi Low Converter
      - Add a Vibe 4 Channel Amp
      - Add a Hamaan under seat bass unit
      - Add sound dampners
      - Change the Wiring to support the above
      Cost Approx 40K

My Query:
      1. Will this really give the desired results
      2. Is this the right cost estimate
      3. I read online that adding a DSP unit instead of Hi Low Converter is better...Is it so and if yes what will be better and how much would it cost and any suggestion for the unit
      4. Any other brand or models that i should use instead of Vibe as suggested by the store guy
      5. Any other solution to this problem

Thanks & Regards
      Srinivasan Iyer

Audible Physics Avatar 6.1

Hungry

Hi welcome to GEARHEADS,

1. Will this really give the desired results
      Overall sound will improve,Can not comment on quality, bass etc..as depends on quality and design etc..of any product
      2. Is this the right cost estimate
      Totally upto to you to decide how much you are willing to spend on it
      3. I read online that adding a DSP unit instead of Hi Low Converter is better...Is it so and if yes what will be better and how much would it cost and any suggestion for the unit
      True adding a DSP is much better option than adding a hi lo converter, you can check other options in DSP like dayton,minidsp,helix,zapco
      4. Any other brand or models that i should use instead of Vibe as suggested by the store guy
      Yes, there are many other good brands are available in the market
      5. Any other solution to this problem
      Yes,you can look for better brands
      Last edited by NIRDESH_KUMAR; 10th Jun 2019 at 18:38. Reason: ...
      Boss player/Audible physics Avatar 6.1 (Passive)/MPS cables /Tru Tech Billet stage 2/SounDigital SD600.1/Sub -FI x/ whatsapp@ 8373907593

“There are only two ways
      to live your life. One is as
      though nothing is a miracle.
      The other is as though
      everything is a
      miracle.”

Hungry

Never heard about this brand called Vibe. I have seen numerous Cretas came for audio upgrades and believe me factory supplied speakers are just pathetic. From my experience first and foremost you should focus on these 2 steps:
      1. Quality damping of all doors.
      2. Invest in a pair of better 2 way component speakers and a quality 4 channel amp.

Later on you can add a quality Sub and a mono amp and if required you can always fill the rears with co-axials or components.
      On the budget side you may need to increase it a little but take my words you'll save yourself from disappointment later.
      For components and amp you can get in touch with our fellow GH member Nirdesh and Rahul. They'll advise you the best like they did for me
      AP 1.6, Infinity Kappa 120.9w sub, SD 800.4D EVO, SD 600.1D Mono, JVC KW-740BT, Gladen & Sommer RCA cables, 10 & 4 sq mm Pure Copper cables

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Your best bet would be changing the HU to some nice aftermarket unit. If that is not an option add a good DSP and later pair an external player with it. You are better off sticking with well known brands like Helix, Mosconi, MiniDSP. But this will cost you significantly. Flexibility, convenience and quality doesn't come cheap.

If you are tight on budget, I'd suggest Pioneer deq-s1000a as an alternative to Hi Lo converters. I also suggest you consider Pioneer Z-Series components (or Sony XS-XB1621C) and Sony XM-GS4 amplifier. As for the sub look into powered ones like JBL BassPro Hub (very innovative and space saving!) or JBL Stage 800BA. This should all cost you less than 50k. I have personally installed this setup in a colleague's car and I can say confidently that it out performed my previous setup that costed over 6 times more. You may research more about these on Crutchfield.com

On a side note you can do away with hi-lo converter as most amps these days come with speaker line input support.
      FiiO X7 Mark II - HELIX DSP PRO MK2 - TRU Billet v2 B41-S - MOREL Elate Ti 602 - MOREL Ultimo Ti 102

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Thank You Everyone:
      1. I will research the brands advised by all of you and see what fits the budget
      2. Definitely will go for a DSP
      Any advise on where i can get the setup done in Mumbai

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Srinivas325 View Post
      I visited a famous shop called Motorsound in Mulund - Mumbai and was offered the following advice
      The advice offered is not prudent IMO. Find a better place.
      FiiO X7 Mark II - HELIX DSP PRO MK2 - TRU Billet v2 B41-S - MOREL Elate Ti 602 - MOREL Ultimo Ti 102

Audio Banned

Awesome

Get a fixation in the budget.

A reasonably good setup will include good components in the front, one 4-channel amp to drive the front components and the sub in the boot bridged.

A decent pair of components like Hertz, Infinity reference or kappa, Audible Physics Avatar or some of the brands suggested above should set you back by about 15 to 20k and a good 10 inch sub another 16k.
      Pioneer DM-G8704 is a very good amp in the 15k budget. It is sonically better than Sony XM-GS4 and also has a better head room though the Sony is no slouch at its price point.
      Add another 5 to 7k for damping and another 15k for installation including wiring and subwoofer box.
      So around 60k will be a true upgrade in the 1st stage.
      Don't compromise on quality of cables. GO with 4awg for power and ground and MX offer good quality interconnects at a fairly decent pricing. Similarly quaden is good entry level for speaker and power cables.

If you need rear fills, go for another pair of components in the rear doors later, Avoid coaxials fixed to parcel trays.

Level 2 upgrade is when you want good staging and imaging.
      Here you can introduce a DSP and do time alignment and some amount of equalizing.
      You can look at the entry level Pioneer DEQ-S1000a or go up on the scale with Dayton Audio, miniDSP, Audison, Helix etc.
      I would recommend minimum Dayton DSP or the miniDSP as it insures no more investment on that front for future upgrades.
      One advantage of miniDSP over Dayton is that it has digital inputs as well. But Dayton's advantage other than price is better DAC, higher output voltage, superior remote commander and better build as well.

Level 3 upgrade is going active.
      You will need to add one more 4-channel amp.

If you need any further help, you can aswell PM me.

Happy listening
      Car Audio: 4-way active
      Home Audio: Passive

Thread Information