• Secret
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Suggestions on which (used) 4WD to buy

love my country and love my
      vehicles

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rawat_a View Post
      any specific history/experience
      Thar is basically a Jeep....its good to have the steering checked. I am a Jeeper...own a Willys CJ3B LHD...and jeeps are known for 'DEATH WOBBLE'...all it needs is adjustment and replacement of few faulty parts. Google it. Thar is a new generation vehicle so those issues are taken care of. In my case the left hand side tie rod had come off while taking a right turn...so you can imagine...since that day I take extra care for steering in any vehicle I drive. As far as high speed driving of Thar is concerned, surely it has limitations, it holds the road. So I don't exactly know how the handling was....thats why i said to get it checked. A good mechanic worth his salt will identify immediately. All the Best

Figuring it out

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by vehfreak View Post
      Thar is basically a Jeep....its good to have the steering checked. I am a Jeeper...own a Willys CJ3B LHD...and jeeps are known for 'DEATH WOBBLE'
      Thanks vehfreak - I did google Death Wobble. I can imagine it scaring the daylights out during a highway drive
      Now as I read about this issue, I do remember experiencing some wobble on potholes - albeit on a much lower scale - as I was dropping my son to school in Thar this morning

Will definitely get the front suspension & steering set-up checked

Figuring it out

Awesome

Hello GHs!
      A small update post-delivery:

Took the Thar to the mechanic on Sat
      No issue found so far - previous owner had claimed that vehicle was serviced in June
      Oils and pumps are in order - will get them checked at after next 2000-3000 km
      Suspension and steering also seem to be alright. vehfreak checked for the wobble but it seems to be extremely limited at the moment

bhvm you are right - the clutch is hydraulic one and can't be 'adjusted' like wire operated ones in small/mid-sized petrols
      Ordered a leather cover for the LED bar from one of the accessories shop - should get done in next 2-3 days
      The rims are 8.5 - will see if I can swap the rims+tyres for stock rims + ATs, at a reasonable price. If not, will continue with current set at they have 15k life

Removal of dark film from HT windows and disabling/removal of siren are yet to be done
      Called up Bimbra for installation of for rear seat belts (HT+rear seats came from Bimbra) - will also be done this week; cost Rs 2000
      That said, seat belts will be only 2 point and not 3 points as that would require welding on the roll-cage and consequent cuts to HT

Also, realised the need for a wider IVRM (stock one is puny) - initially though of integrated reverse cam+self-adjusting day-night mirror but wifey is dead against spending on anything except essentials. So will get a simple wider angle day-night mirror for now
      I am looking for wider OVRMs as well - current ones are narrow with limited angle of vision. But waiting to see if I can get a set of powered rectangular ones (have been told that there are powered "Wrangler" style OVRMs - yet to find them)
      Have not decided yet on roof mounted luggage carrier - will take some time to study and find the right one

Here are few pics of the vehicle:

As seen from the front - I just hate the Angry Bird grille
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thar 28072019 16.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	237174

Side profile

Name:	Thar 28072019 17.jpg 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	237173

Name:	Thar 28072019 1.jpg 
Size:	6.22 MB 
ID:	237172

Le derriere

Name:	Thar 28072019 3.jpg 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	237175

Front seats have good recline but B-pillar hinders sideways visibility in my driving position (I am used to driving with seat at back-most position)

Name:	Thar 28072019 13.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	5.60 MB 
ID:	237177

Name:	Thar 28072019 15.jpg 
Size:	4.27 MB 
ID:	237178

Rear seats can tumle and even be folded/latched - useful at times. They have decent amount of recline as well

Name:	Thar 28072019 5.jpg 
Size:	6.41 MB 
ID:	237179

Name:	Thar 28072019 6.jpg 
Size:	5.94 MB 
ID:	237180

Interiors as expected are spartan - except for minor features added by previous owner

Name:	Thar 28072019 4.jpg 
Size:	6.98 MB 
ID:	237181

Thankfully, the vehicle has aftermarket power windows + central locking

Name:	Thar 28072019 14.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.71 MB 
ID:	237185

Touchscreen HU is OK + music quality from 4 speakers (2 on the sides of dash + 2 behind front seats) is good

Name:	Thar 28072019 8.jpg 
Size:	5.51 MB 
ID:	237182

But look at the dangling contraption for USB - an ugly eyesore

Name:	Thar 28072019 9.jpg 
Size:	5.07 MB 
ID:	237183

As pointed out in various reviews, footwell has no space for dead pedal (I am getting used to driving with left foot on the floor). 4WD lever seems to be working fine (don't miss out the 'siren')

Name:	Thar 28072019 10.jpg 
Size:	6.01 MB 
ID:	237184
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thar 28072019 7.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	6.16 MB 
ID:	237176  

vehicles

Awesome

No issue found so far
      Thats a great news!
      wifey is dead against
      They are most of the time right....so don't spend. lol
      Also I suggest drive it as it is for 2-3k KMs and study the character and during this time you will realise what actually you need(Essentials) and what you don't.
      BTW....very neat Jeep you have...congrats once again. Really liked it. Safe driving...many miles!!!

Figuring it out

Awesome

Hello GHs,

A smallish update.
      The RC process still seems to be stuck - the tyranny of agents.

Drove the Thar extensively last week for ~300km.
      I am trying to be conscious to idle the engine for a minute at start & end of a trip.
      The driveability continues to impress me - rarely need to downshift to 1st except for stop-go traffic

Yet to find perfect driving position. Reclining the seat to my habitual position results in right shoulder pain, perhaps due to off-center steering.
      Decreasing the recline reduces comfort level for the back - using this position for now and will see if a cushion helps.

Pedal covers have worn off and tend to become slippery during monsoon, leading to a close shave while parking at home - need to replace them.
      Plan to fix seat belts for rear seats also had to be postponed as Bimbra is ostensibly out of stock - yet to hear back from neighbourhood garages.

Cover for LED bar has been fixed and seems to have taken care of traffic cops' attention for now.
      After consultation with a friend, have decided to keep the films on HT windows/rear windshield as they seem to be acceptable to traffic cops (though I am told Chandigarh is an exception).

Was about to buy bolt-on day-night IVRM, when I realised that Waggy already had one.
      As Waggy was being shipped to brother-in-law, stripped off the IVRM and placed it in the Thar. Works likes a charm.
      Still looking for wider OVRMs as current ones are dangerously narrow for me.

Lastly, I am planning to upgrade the headlights as they are a necessity, especially on highways, IMHO (also, I may have been spoiled by the HIDs added to BRV).
      Leaning towards Philips LEDs (cost quoted Rs 6k) vs HIDs or integrated LED assemblies (most likely Chinese made). Please share your thoughts/experiences.

They are most of the time right....so don't spend. lol
      Yes sir, you are absolutely right on that one. Better to listen to head than heart at times.

Also I suggest drive it as it is for 2-3k KMs and study the character and during this time you will realise what actually you need(Essentials) and what you don't.
      Yes that's my plan as well - any expensive changes to be made only around servicing.

BTW....very neat Jeep you have...congrats once again. Really liked it. Safe driving...many miles!!!
      Thanks again!
      If all goes well, will take her for a longish trip to the hills in next 1-2 weeks. Fingers crossed.

vehicles

Awesome

A smallish update
      Nice to hear you enjoying the Thar...beauty is ...more u drive....more u will like.
      if a cushion helps.
      Yes cushion will be helpful. try various positions. Sit as close, to back of seat, as possible and see if it helps. Else try a cushion. Am sure you will figure out the right driving position.
      will take her for a longish trip to the hills
      All the best...click max pics..and share

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Yet to find perfect driving position. Reclining the seat to my habitual position results in right shoulder pain, perhaps due to off-center steering.
      Some guys just swap the pathetic Thar seats with Innova or Safari seats. See if you want to go that route before serious back problems set in.

eaning towards Philips LEDs (cost quoted Rs 6k) vs HIDs or integrated LED assemblies
      Philips ones are a very cool white (bluish) at 6000 kelvins, and often throw a dazzling beam. Look for 4300K led Bulbs in Stock housings.

Here are good ones-
      HLXG 6500K 4300K 5000K H7 Led H4 With Lumileds Luxeon ZES Chips Car Headlight Bulb H1 LED H11 H8 HB3 9005 HB4 9006 Auto Lamp 12V-in Car Headlight Bulbs(LED) from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Here is a good read for basics-
      Review: LED Headlight Conversion Bulbs For Cars Bikes | The Automotive India

P.s- Its time you make your ownership & review thread rather than continuing on Suggestions thread. Also name your beast something.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information