• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long drive & the impatience factor

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Long drive & the impatience factor

Two weeks ago, I was chatting with a reknowned personality who's toured India upside down & one of the point that he mentioned was - just keep riding day & night. So that struck something on my mind as how does one do it or does it really require some born skill?

I drive too, I love riding too; I start my journey with patience, watchful on RVMs, yield way, but after few hours, I'm still energetic, but I'm loosing patience. The urge to reach the destination is on the mind than anything else. I drive fast, I still yield to people, enjoy shifting gears, watch RVMs, remain vigilant etc, but the impatience creeps over me.

Well, there's nothing harm I see with the impatience, but, I start driving faster & redlining the ride often. No, I do not drive like maniac, but fast, fast & faster in watching RVMs, overtaking, (watchfully) switching lanes, yet no hard braking, the mind works the calculations well.

I very well know that, I need to stop for a moment, take a break & then if I continue, YES, I'll start over with patience again. The speed inside me comes down. But above all, the very thought of reaching the destination sooner AND not to waste the time to relax gets over & hence avoid taking breaks.

As we progress, I'll discuss over certain mistakes of mine that I did on overcoming this impatience factor.

What I intent through this discussion is, do you all feel this impatience growing on you after a while? Do you guys have some means other than taking breaks? First of all, is this normal or something that I'm the only one experiencing this?

Rat in a race to don't know
      where...

Awesome

Its more of a personal thing.

If I'm riding/driving to reach a destination, I will keep driving with varying paces with less breaks and reach the destination.

If the ride/drive is to be enjoyed, then its gonna be a relaxed pace and with loads of breaks.

There is No impatience in either of the two mentioned styles, there is just a difference in approach to ride/drive on the road!

I think for you, the best thing would be to take a break when you feel the impatience rising!
      2007 | Bajaj Pulsar 220 Dts-Fi | 120000 Kms
      2005 | Fiat Palio 1.2 NV Sport | 29000 Kms

Storme'd

Secret

I agree with you praful - its more of a personal thing and the behaviour and mindset will vary from person to person. As Aargee mentioned impatience is the biggest factor for me too and it subsides if i take a break (read cigarette break). But the worst part is when I am less than 100 kms away from destination i will have an odd mindset dont feel like taking a break since i feel its wasting more time and unnecessarily delaying to reach and at the same time fatigue also adds (more of psychological thing). I feel that is the critical time during long drives and highly prone moment for accident if one loses his cool.

I would enjoy reading more on this from you guys.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines!

2014 Tata Safari Storme VX 4x2
      2006 Maruti Wagon R LXI - Sold (May 2014)

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

For the older folks, the "impatience" also comes from falling sugar levels. Even for smokers, snacking on some chocolates etc will get you to driving sensible again. Just as important is having good food while on a long drive. Hungry stomachs make for some very fast drives for me.

Having some conversation in the car is also good. So is some soothing music. Listening to fast/heavy music of course has the opposite effect.

Awesome

Guys, please consider the scenario of riding a motorcycle/scooter also in the discussion. Tks.

Now aware!

Awesome

When I used to drive the Alto, I usually run the last mile (well, atleast 15% before the actual destination) like Mad Max. I usually also start out like that. The peppy engine and the ease of moving it around was what helped and also the impatience towards the end of the journey.

But with the Safari, I stick to 80-100kmph, unless it is an emergency. Reason, as I introspect, might be due to less fatigue and the comfort in the bigger vehicle and also, I enjoy the drive. Now, it is usually the other way around - trying to prolong the drive!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Nice Thread. I feel this impatience creep in only when I am returning back home from a trip and never when I am going elsewhere. Having company does help a lot I found.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Forum Leader

Awesome

Complex question!

I drive around a lot and invariably non-stop, covering anywhere between 800-1000 kms a day, especially when I am on a long drive.
      In each of these drives, I have a pre-determined drive plan which I execute to as much perfection as possible. I am punctual, cannot tolerate delays and unnecessary stoppages and drive on till I get to my target destination.
      It is not always easy to do that and often, there are slippages.
      I am extremely fastidious about my daily drive targets and maybe you can say impatient to achieve them.
      That is the only way you can complete a complex long drive on schedule.
      However, I do not think my impatience (if you may call it that way) has resulted in any rash driving or unfortunate situation - other than some suffering for the passengers and some unparliamentary remarks.
      I often cut out food halts when I am running late to make up for the lost time.
      I have also pushed myself beyond the original plan by adding on more hours (including non-stop overnighters) to compensate for some delay or the other.

On another perspective, since I live in Bombay, Pune is almost home just 1.5 hours away, when I am coming in from South, as is Nashik (east) or Vapi (north). Once I cross these places, there is no stopping me till I reach home, whatever be the provocation.

Needless to say, during long drives, I am very irritable - driving is very stressfull and calls for tremendous mental concentration, and it is very difficult for your co-passengers to be in the same wavelength, hence there are flashes of temper and vocal exchanges!
      H V Kumar

Forum Leader

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
      For the older folks, the "impatience" also comes from falling sugar levels. Even for smokers, snacking on some chocolates etc will get you to driving sensible again. Just as important is having good food while on a long drive. Hungry stomachs make for some very fast drives for me.

Having some conversation in the car is also good. So is some soothing music. Listening to fast/heavy music of course has the opposite effect.
      I carry along my own food on long drives, typically fresh and dry fruits, biscuits and chocolates.
      We have great conversations in the car too, although I am not a music buff and invariably, my music system is silent most of the time.
      H V Kumar

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Praful View Post
      If the ride/drive is to be enjoyed, then its gonna be a relaxed pace and with loads of breaks.
      Praful, this is "IF" factor. Let me put it this way, you're on a week's holiday trip & your 1st destination is about 800 Kms to be covered on a day given the mixed road conditions. All of us enjoy the ride with loads of excitement in the beginning, but I'm sure somewhere in between we loose the patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Praful View Post
      There is No impatience in either of the two mentioned styles, there is just a difference in approach to ride/drive on the road!
      Then you might've to give me some gyan; Let me give a straight example, the max I can keep my cool is until Krishnagiri from Chennai or may be until the ghat (upstream) starts. After that I loose patience. BLR not more than 100 Kms from this point, I cannot afford to halt on the account of loosing time so I keep driving, but the urge to reach the destination also crawls over. Same case on the other side of Krishnagiri, I don't feel like stopping unnecessarily before Thoppur which is 300+ Kms from home.

Hope you got what I'm trying to convey.

Quote Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
      But the worst part is...accident if one loses his cool.
      Exactly my thoughts; you got the point right.

Having some conversation in the car is also good.
      A strict NO for me; somehow I don't listen to anyone when I ride/drive. I just keep myself on the road; I sometimes even notice the vehicle's registration number, color, make, potholes in the road etc, but somehow brain shuts off the ears when the other person speaks. Likewise, I rarely speak when I ride/drive.

So is some soothing music.
      Need to try this one

Listening to fast/heavy music of course has the opposite effect.
      Well, yes & no. Sometimes hearing a fast song (eg "Arjunaru Villu" from Ghillie) puts me back to track; I remain more cautious & yes, the speed also goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
      I usually run the last mile (well, atleast 15% before the actual destination) like Mad Max.
      also the impatience towards the end of the journey.
      Precisely my point

Now, it is usually the other way around - trying to prolong the drive!
      Aah!!! this is the one I need to learn. How to keep the same enthu throughout the journey without taking a break?

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      I feel this impatience creep in only when I am returning back home from a trip and never when I am going elsewhere. Having company does help a lot I found.
      Even if I've company, it doesn't help me How about when you drive/ride from home to BLR? Is that the same case or you feel the same throughout the journey?

Quote Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
      I drive around a lot and invariably...drive on till I get to my target destination.
      These requirements are the exact requirements of what I'm trying to say

I am extremely fastidious about my daily drive targets and maybe you can say impatient to achieve them.
      That is the only way you can complete a complex long drive on schedule.
      So sir, are you saying this is a normal phenomena?

However, I do not think my impatience (if you may call it that way) has resulted in any rash driving or unfortunate situation - other than some suffering for the passengers and some unparliamentary remarks.
      Well, my passengers have been Wifey, Mother & kiddos, so even if they complaint, they're not listened . Anyway, I don't participate in any conversation when I drive/ride. So no remarks.

I have also pushed myself beyond the original plan by adding on more hours (including non-stop overnighters) to compensate for some delay or the other.
      Aah!!! This is where its getting interesting. When pushed, doesn't the impatience also grow along? How do we handle that? Is there a trick to do something like 2 days non-stop drive or is it something built in genes or should we keep toiling over & practicing?

Once I cross these places, there is no stopping me till I reach home, whatever be the provocation.
      Ok, so I'm not the only person in the boat

Needless to say, during long drives, I am very irritable - driving is very stressfull and calls for tremendous mental concentration, and it is very difficult for your co-passengers to be in the same wavelength, hence there are flashes of temper and vocal exchanges!
      Err..vocal exchanges with co-passengers or someone on the road?

I carry along my own food on long drives, typically fresh and dry fruits, biscuits and chocolates.
      Lately I've been thinking of doing this, but sorry to say, I cannot do one thing outside when I drive. I cannot even drink water when driving. I guess I get drained only due to this factor. But then, I can & have driven atleast 500-600 Kms non stop. I shouldn't be able to do this if I get drain off soon right?

Let me share an incident that happened on Oct 24 2007, my first long drive from Chennai-Trivandrum that was planned under 15 minutes. Keeping the reasons aside, I simply started off the journey with few clothes that can be accomodated on back pack, credit card & a 10 litre can. One thing to note is that I've been driving for just about 19 months only at that time.

The weather was doing at its best by drizzling right from Tindivanam to little near to Trichy; the roads after Tindivanam were in half baked stage, with all the Volvos, Govt buses throwing all the slush on my car. I kept driving & driving & at precisely 186th Km, one tyre ran flat at around 12:00 midnight. So I fixed it & started the journey again. I almost lost my patience due to sleeplessness, skipping dinner, tired after the day's work, puncture & not to mention one of the wheel went a little out of shape. Frankly after 2:00 I could not simply concentrate on anything & I was at the risk of another puncture due to potholed roads. At that point in time, I simply stopped thinking & started tailgating a Sumo, may be for about 2 - 2.5 hours or so!!! When the Sumo jumped to pothole, I became alert & avoided it. Those 2.5 hours of my life was completely stressed out & I did tailgate due to highly impatience. I decided that whatever time it takes, I need to avoid another puncture or rim bend & hence tail gated that Sumo (but not like pasting, but with atleast 30-40 foot distance) for potholes & then I learned that when you tailgate, you think less. Only during overtakes you need to really concentrate, otherwise drive simple.
      Last edited by Aargee; 10th Nov 2010 at 21:32.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information