• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Restoring Logitech Z-5500 (2005)

new member :D

Awesome

Restoring Logitech Z-5500 (2005)

I have got my hands on Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX Speakers. It has satellites speakers with completely damaged cones and need serious repairs.
      They are rated for 3 inch, 69w RMS @ 8 Ohms as per on paper specification. I couldn't find any direct replacement on internet and whatever is there seems super cheap at very low RMS.
      I want all drivers to get repaired while keeping everything else as stock and don't mind loosing THX signature sound.
      If they are beyond repair then I would prefer buying two 8 ohm 100w rms speakers (Please advice) in good MDF box ditching all 5 satellites, I don't necessarily want 5.1 setup.
      Can these be repaired without loosing 80% of their sound quality? Please advice and Where should I look for. I live in New Delhi.

Please refer images below.

- Good Condition
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dismantle-teardown-wpid-logitech_z5500_box_logitech_small_speak_z5500_13.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	240325

- My Speakers

Name:	IMG_20200623_112733.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	240326

Name:	IMG_20200622_131549.jpg 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	240327

Name:	IMG_20200623_112801.jpg 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	240328

aware that he can set his
      status here

Awesome

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Sarabpreet View Post
      Why dont you buy new full range drivers :
      Because I didn't find any compatible drivers. Thank you for mentioning those drivers but they all will get distort on high volumes. The three drivers which you mentioned above are rated for 10w at 4 Ohm, 30w at 4 ohm and 12w at 8 ohm respectively. Whereas stock speakers at rated at 69w at 8 Ohms with peaks going above 130 watts.

Right now I am using 4" full range 12w RMS 8ohm speakers as alternative and they start getting distort above 40% volumes.
      Aren't there any full range 3" drivers of 60w at 8 ohms?

Also, the drivers you mentioned above are very costly at 3k and I need 5 of them to replace 5 broken satellites. Total costing 15K for just 12W. I bought the complete system for only 500 rupees and spent 100 rupees only on capacitors that I replaced myself and made the unit working. I found it for super dirt cheap and can't ditch it as it has optical + coax digital inputs along with analogs. I would like to go with repairing these drivers if anything such exists.

aware that he can set his
      status here

Awesome

Though i agree on the part they may be expensive as a package. But it would be difficult to believe their distortion levels are not better than the existing drivers.
      You can try changing rubber surrounds which may cost Rs 100-200 per speaker if that seems to be the only issue.
      but depending on your use , depending 2.1 with better drivers instead of 5.1 might give better results.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Sarabpreet View Post
      You can try changing rubber surrounds which may cost Rs 100-200 per speaker if that seems to be the only issue
      Yes, upon close inspection on all drivers I can see only the rubber part is broken whereas aluminium type cones are still usable but I don't know if surrounds repairs exists for 3" speakers.
      After searching internet I found the default drivers are just 12w 8 Ohm and those 67 watts is just marketing gimmick but then it is hard for me to believe that these 12w 8 ohm sound thrice louder and better then my Edifiers 12w 4 Ohm 4".
      I have contacted Logitech but got no response as of now (neither I expect) and found the closest driver from Tang Band for 8k excluding duty and shipping to India. Still not worth.

The only options I am left with is to get surround repairs (I have to find repair shops in Delhi and couldn't find anything on any HiFi forum) or get any Two 8 Ohm drivers in boxes to make it simple yet loud 2.1.

Thread Information