• Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: VW Vento ICEd - Flux, DD, Mercury, Deaf Bonce, Pioneer

DSG Lag - A second of false
      hope.

Awesome

VW Vento ICEd - Flux, DD, Mercury, Deaf Bonce, Pioneer

Hello everyone,
      After a lot of patience with the stock audio system and tons of research and help from members here finally completed my build and want to share it with you all.

I have a 2019 VW Vento Highline plus DSG with a remap and racingline air filter.
      The car in its stock form was good but nothing too exciting but after the remap every-time you put the foot down on the accelerator, it brings a wide smile to your face and thats just a different feeling.
      Having made the car drive better, the audio quality was just okay. The stock speakers were bass rich but lacked any detail whatsoever, everytime the volume level went above 60-70% there was distortion. The itch to upgrade the audio system started and so did the search for new stuff around.

Created a thread here and learned a lot from fellow members. Got a lot of help from Rahul (@mclaren1885) and Ashley.

While I was amidst the search I saw a story regarding lockdown offers and inquired and got pretty good offer. Read the reviews about the store and saw their videos on Youtube and seeing everything positive decided to go with them.

Started with a small initial budget (not figuratively) of 1L but soon after exploring the variety in market, I realised this was going to exceed by A LOT and it did exceed by a lot.

Followed up with the store and paid a token amount to book the equipment.
      The store - Motor Concept, Delhi

The equipment I booked was -
      Flux Maestro MC261
      Flux Spirit SC261
      Flux Evo 100.4
      DD dm500 mono
      Sub - was left to be chosen in store as i was sceptical about boot space
      DSP - They suggested Pioneer S1000

The lockdown restrictions were lifted and interstate transportation was allowed so i made an appointment and visited them.
      Started the journey early in morning and reached the store at 11 which is their opening time.

Upon reaching came the the first disappointment
      Flux SC261 and Flux Evo 100.4 were not in stock and this was after i had booked the equipment and made an appointment beforehand.

Since SC261 had to go in the rear decided to use BC261 instead which is the lower trim in the company's lineup as I didn't want to change the brand as a different brand would mean a different sound signature.

For the amp there weren't many options available and I didn't want to compromise on amp so went with the their suggestion of using Mercury Tube Amplifier MS904.

Contrary to the common belief, I felt that damping was required so decided to get the doors, the trims as well as the floor damped.

As soon as I confirmed the equipment, my car was first sanitised and then opened taking out all the door trims and seats.

The tweeters didn't fit in the sail panel so decided to mount them on A pillar in pods.
      For the rear tweeters, they were flush mount at a low level to prevent direct attack on ears.

The amps were decided to be mounted on a rack behind the rear seat as the car does not come with folding rear seats.
      The work for amp rack started straight away by cutting a mdf board to dimensions of the boot.
      The wiring used was from Stringer and the amp kit for sub was from Focal.

Next was the location of DSP, they suggested to mount it in the passenger side footwell.

The work was done and concluded at around 7.
      Then we started testing subs and first came the DD712, and almost no boot was left so a big NO.
      Then we tested 510, and the enclosure was still too big so no.
      Then we placed the 508 and voila the enclosure wasn't too big, it was placed along the length of boot which left a lot of boot space for use so a win win situation.

Then we sat to test the system and Aman from Motor Concept had connected his phone straight to the DSP and was playing directly. First thing that we noticed was damn the bass was kicking hard despite using such a small sub in a relatively compact enclosure. The system was sounding good.

Then I decided to play my own songs directly from the HU using bluetooth. The sound was good but nowhere near the expectations, raised the volume to about 60 % and the sound started to distort.

At that moment I was completely disappointed that despite spending such an amount, the output was this.
      It was around 7:30 and Aman started adjusting the gain and input level on DSP.

Finally the input level was dropped to -4 and the system sounded alot better but still distorting above 60% also DSP was running on flat EQ. so it was concluded that it was the HU at fault.
      Didn't have time as the store had to close at 8 due to restrictions and I had to go back the next morning so left the store with a mixed bag of feelings.

The system was sounding good, no two doubts about it but Im sure there was a lot of potential left.

Left for Punjab the next morning.

While driving I randomly noticed a dent on the tweeter dome and that the tweeter was coming out of the pod, saw the other side and while the dome was intact the tweeter in the left pod was coming out too.
      Contacted Aman and he said to apply black tape around the tweeters and push them in tightly, tried the same but they were still coming out and this was just the next day of install.
      Later went to a local mechanic, he applied a strong double tape and a bit of quickfix and the tweeters stayed in after that.

One day i noticed the tweeter on the left rear door was dented too and there was a mark on the door trim of a screwdriver probably.

Contacted Aman again and all he said it was a labour intensive job and small errors can occur. He even offered that I send back the tweeters and he'll ship the replacement. But since dents have negligible effect on silk dome tweeters, I decided it wasn't worth the pain of getting the door trims opened again at a local shop and then courier it and run the system without tweeters for an unknown duration.

The system was still running a flat EQ. Did bit of research on tuning and found some amazing articles, connected phone to Pioneer s1000 and started tuning, I know it would be nowhere near to what a professional would do but still the output got so much better.

The final equipment in my car is -

Front Components - Flux Maestro MC261
      Brilliant drivers, the tweeters are just amazing.
      Rear Components - Flux Basic BC261 Used them because they were also made in Germany and being from the same brand had the same sound signature. Mixing of brands would have mixed the sound from front and rear.
      4 Channel Amp - Mercury MS904
      Vacuum Tube amplifier and aesthetically beautiful. Pumping out 90 rms. It is to be noted that it takes a while to turn on. The vacuum tubes act as a pre amp and the output is amazing.
      Mono Amp - Deaf Bonce Machete MMA- 1100.1D
      Amazing output and a small (relatively) footprint.
      Subwoofer - DD 508
      The output it gives in such a small enclosure is mindblowing.
      It is a perfect balance between SQ and SPL because being a 8 inch driver it is fast moving and reproduces different frequencies very well.
      Soundproofing - CTK Gold
      CTK gold was applied to doors as well as floor and the result was amazing, almost no road noise and overall the cabin got very well insulated.
      Sound Processor - Pioneer S1000
      It is really tiny in footprint and gives out 6 channels of output and comes with a 31 band EQ and time alignment.
      My system was running on Flat EQ and no TA was done in the store.

After a week i noticed everytime the car went through a pothole there was noise disturbance from the left side and it was another big disappointment.
      But I guess thats the price of choosing an installer about 400 kms away.

About Motor Concept -
      I got great deals, really amazing deals no doubt about it.
      The work was finished in time.
      No dsp tuning was done
      Tweeter pods were far from perfect
      They are wiring experts but since im getting noise disturbance, i m not sure about their claim.

So anyone who is in for their first ICE can go with them but if you have even little knowledge about car audio, you won't be satisfied because I'll quote what one installer said - It's not only the equipment, its the installer who'll bring it to life.

Now I am planning to upgrade the HU and DSP, initially wanted to preserve the stock interiors but the stock HU just doesn't deliver, any suggestions on that?

So that was my first take on my setup hope you all liked it.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Harshit0070 View Post
      Front Components - Flux Maestro MC261
      Brilliant drivers, the tweeters are just amazing.
      This is exactly why you should get the following rectified :/

While driving I randomly noticed a dent on the tweeter dome and that the tweeter was coming out of the pod, saw the other side and while the dome was intact the tweeter in the left pod was coming out too.

One day i noticed the tweeter on the left rear door was dented too and there was a mark on the door trim of a screwdriver probably.

But since dents have negligible effect on silk dome tweeters, I decided it wasn't worth the pain of getting the door trims opened again at a local shop and then courier it and run the system without tweeters for an unknown duration.
      You are in all likelihood not hearing the difference or distortion but the tweeters are definitely not playing optimally as they would undamaged.

Subwoofer - DD 508
      The output it gives in such a small enclosure is mindblowing.
      It is a perfect balance between SQ and SPL because being a 8 inch driver it is fast moving and reproduces different frequencies very well.
      Images of this please Looking for a similar option for my Ameo to retain maximum boot space.
      Now I am planning to upgrade the HU and DSP, initially wanted to preserve the stock interiors but the stock HU just doesn't deliver, any suggestions on that?
      There is an option on the Pioneer S1000 to directly connect your phone to the DSP and play high quality files on the phone to the DSP directly and bypassing the HU

It sounds same as a Pioneer 2din would in this mode.

You can also try listening for difference by using high quality WAV files on SD Card or USB or Audio CD on the VW HU and notice the difference with playing the same tracks via Bluetooth
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

hope.

Awesome

Tried uploading the images directly here but idk why it kept falling.
      So uploaded them to this link Imgur: The magic of the Internet

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Looking at the condition of tweeters, you sure the damage after install? I suggest to get a replacement as this looks severe on dome.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
      Clarion NX-706| Biketronics BT4180 | Sinfoni Allegro | Soundigital 1200.1 | Audible Physics Brahma6W | Audible Physics NZ3AlBe | Morel Ultimo | Klotz 12ga LY225t| Mogami RCA| Pure Silver RCA

hope.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
      Looking at the condition of tweeters, you sure the damage after install? I suggest to get a replacement as this looks severe
      I left the store at around 8 and it was dark and the next day i saw the damage so it was definitely during the install that the damage happened.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I left the store at around 8 and it was dark and the next day i saw the damage so it was definitely during the install that the damage happened.
      Oh shucks. Really sad to hear that. So the issue been there since the install? In that case, please get a replacement and make sure they are installed properly in the day. I am pretty sure the installer would have seen the tweeter condition. They should have replaced before hand or have atleast given you a heads-up.

Hope it gets resolved soon so that u can enjoy the music

Clarion NX-706| Biketronics BT4180 | Sinfoni Allegro | Soundigital 1200.1 | Audible Physics Brahma6W | Audible Physics NZ3AlBe | Morel Ultimo | Klotz 12ga LY225t| Mogami RCA| Pure Silver RCA

Audio Banned

Awesome

Pioneer S-1000 maybe an entry level DSP, but with proper input level setting, you can avoid distortion. It does give out a clean output as the op amps are of more than decent quality.
      First tune properly with the current DSP, and then later think of upgrading.
      Car Audio: 4-way active
      Home Audio: Passive

hope.

Awesome

I’m planning a visit to the store once corona scene settles a bit in Delhi and get them replaced.

hope.

Awesome

The input level is already at Minus 4 (-4) and the max we can go down is 5. I’ll retain the DSP but i feel the HU has to be changed because even in the stock setup the system had distortion beyond 60%. Goodbye stock looks

hope.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      Pioneer S-1000 maybe an entry level DSP, but with proper input level setting, you can avoid distortion. It does give out a clean output as the op amps are of more than decent quality.
      First tune properly with the current DSP, and then later think of upgrading.
      The input level is already at Minus 4 (-4) and the max we can go down is 5. I’ll retain the DSP but i feel the HU has to be changed because even in the stock setup the system had distortion beyond 60%. Goodbye stock looks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by piyush7243 View Post
      Oh shucks. Really sad to hear that. So the issue been there since the install? In that case, please get a replacement and make sure they are installed properly in the day. I am pretty sure the installer would have seen the tweeter condition. They should have replaced before hand or have atleast given you a heads-up.

Hope it gets resolved soon so that u can enjoy the music

I’m planning a visit to the store once corona scene settles a bit in Delhi and get them replaced.

Thread Information