• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A- star ZXI - JUNOON -The sign of new generation!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

A- star ZXI - JUNOON -The sign of new generation!

Its been a wonderful 1.5 years and 6000kms (and counting) with this car.
      I will divide the ownership review into parts which comprises of the Real cost of ownership,MASS rating , Buying experience and more..

The contenders and Buying Experience

Flashback to 2009, Our Maruti 800(1989 model) was showing its age.Its had been with our family for 20 years.My father and I was looking for a new car. Initially Maruti Swift was chosen but Hyundai i20 chosen due to long waiting list of Swift and indifferent attitude of salesperson

Booking Amount of 1 lakh and with no assurance on Delivery period ( we wanted the car by Navratri) Hyundai i20 was struck of the list.

I was ****ed of by this waiting period so decided to postpone purchasing.In the mean time I borrowed my Distant Uncle's 1997 ZEN for time being

"Hang on" My father insisted that a new car should be brought since its been 20 years since a new car was brought , so on his insistence, I fixed a budget of 4 lakhs( all inclusive) and initially only MUL vehicle was chosen despite my reservations

Next , the car I shortlisted were new Estilo , A- star.Wagon R , Alto were rejected primarily due to looks, commonality and safety.

Took test drive of Maruti Estilo and A - star and finally A- star was chosen

P.S- The contenders and buying experience will continue in the next post
      Last edited by Star City; 11th Jan 2011 at 12:40. Reason: To correct spelling mistake and errors in sentences

O_o

Awesome

1.5 years and 6000 kms. Nice.

waiting for more.

Super Moderator

Awesome

How about some pictures of your car?
      Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
      Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
      Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

Awesome

The contenders and Buying Experience( continued..)

Testdrive Impression

Estilo VXI -
      1. Good - airy interiors
      quality comparatively better than A- star
      Rear wash wiper - a boon for monsoon
      Ease of ingress and egress
      Boot space better than A- star

2.Bad - gearshift is poor when compared to A- star
      - despite being 30 thousand cheaper it lacked a stereo player with 4 speakers , safety equipment like dual airbags ,ABS
      safety equipment like ABS and single Airbag cost 50 thousand and had 1 month waiting list
      - lack of door opening and closing switch

3.Ugly -car due to its tall boy design and soft suspension car rolled and pitched quite alarmingly and crosswinds didn't help either.
      - steering wheel over assisted and devoid of feel

A- star ZXI
      1. Good - low sporty seats
      - mouth watering price mainly due to discounts on offer and Equipment levels including safety package
      - sporty tachometer
      - good OEM music system
      - good precise gearshift and door open and close button
      - sharp and precise handling

2. Bad - no rear wash wiper even in ZXI
      - no alloys wheel standard
      - engine note from inside feels like a diesel engine
      - rear boot is less so is space at rear and rear visibility is poor

3. ugly - rattling front passenger seat - Twice I complained to MASS but SA least bothered still persisting
      - repair work is quite expensive
      - wheels lock easily if ABS is not there
      - quality of plastic less said the better
      - noisy tyres
      - room for two at the best unless you are less than 5'2 in height

The A- star was chosen mainly because 99.5% I alone drive for a commute of 10 kms daily.Estilo had many shortcoming even though it was within budget extra 24 thousand rupees( after hard bargaining) for A- star was agreed by my father

The wild Card
      After choosing A- star , my father had a second thoughts so he asked me why not we see Chevrolet as dealer was next door to MSIL dealer.So took a test drive of Spark and rejected it mainly beacuse of folowing reasons -
      1. Notchy gearshift - I was tired of 800's rubbery poor gearshift and did not want to have a car with similar gearshift experience
      2. central instrumentation - I never liked this concept
      3. Safety package lacked Driver's airbag
      4.Beige interiors - due to problem of reflections and they do get soiled easily

There were many positives about Spark like , classy , beautiful looks, spacious interiors , Chevrolet promise , better dealership experience , boot space,rear wash wiper and finally price 3.6 lakhs all inclusive what more Can a person ask.

So finally A- star ZXI silky silver was chosen and delivered on the auspicious Navratri .The car was 24000 more than budget but it was ok as we don't buy cars daily

Mileage check - - 11.2 Km/litre(100% A/C or heater), mileage improves with distant traveled easily 17- 18 Km/l

Some pictures

Guess where the Photo below is Taken?
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	28757

Jack hidden in a separate compartment in C pillar

Name:	19.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	28758

Sporty Tacho

Name:	12.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	28761

Name:	11.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	28759

Name:	14.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	28760

P.S - My next post in this thread will be about dealership experience including what mistake people commonly do and how to avoid them.

Super Moderator

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.McCoy View Post
      Guess where the Photo below is Taken?

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	28757
      That's in front of Rashtrapati Bhavan. Waiting for the rest of the review
      Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
      Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
      Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

��✂�� �� ���� ��
      just a man and his will to
      survive

Awesome

hi spock welcome to GH. how can i forget ur A-star pic infront of the Rashtrapati bhavan gate. How the hell did u manage to take that man....did u offer the president a ride in ur A-star as well??

wen did name ur star as Junoon???

comg to ur car.....Nice car....even i love it a lot....its fun to drive, next best thing after the swift and the figo....if u enjoy driving lik me anybody will love it. I TD both the manual as well as the AT. In fact had almost zeroed on it....rem me eatg ur brains my dozen odd queries But on the last min got the Ritz Ldi jus cos of the 30k cash offer on the diesel...so woks out cheaper.... Its handling can no way match the swift or a-star as both u and nishu rightfully said....take care dude
      Last edited by gegonbones; 11th Jan 2011 at 17:26.
      Chances favour the prepared mind

Awesome

Dealership Experiences

1.MSIL - The sales executives in MSIL dealership are neither welcoming nor pleasant to deal with(though there are exceptions to it) , arrogance especially among Team Leaders is the rule.This situation is prevalent even in such places like Belgaum ,Karnataka(Personal Experience).The general attitude of MSIL dealers is that if you don't buy someone else will buy as they Know that anything Maruti will sell.
      Also uninformed customers like unsuspecting Female Customers buying Large cars like SX4 the attitude is different, their tone speech changes dramatically.Also People buying Popular cars like Alto Sales excutives go overboard explaining features, give so called comparisons.I have even Noticed That The attitude of MASS is different towards low rung and top customers.The people in the middle are always get the wrong side of dealer and MASS - Hard to digest
      The following are experiences I had with MSIL dealers( critical Analysis)

A.Shanteesha Maruti (Belgaum,Karnataka) - I was looking for a new Swift ZXI during my stay in Belgaum So I visited its showroom.Its the only MSIL dealership there
      a. Location - Rating - 10/10
      Heart of city - Nehrunagar
      Connectivity is good and there was no problem of locating them

b. Ambiance - Rating - 0/10
      The roads leading to dealership( its hardly 10 meters from main road) looks like some Landfill which has one old building.The cars to be delivered are parked over marsh like are as the cars are parked over - difficult to enter showroom without your shoes being covered with dirt( shoes look like they have been to some swamp expedition) whether it is rainy season or dry season - the condition is same- at least they should have some sort of road leading to showroom

c. Test drive -Rating - 2/10
      They don't have the vehicles you want to Test drive.So for driving impression of Diesel swift I TD petrol Swift(vxi) and Diesel Ritz.They didn't have have ZXI variants i wished to TD

d.Showroom - Rating - 1/10
      Looks like Your neighbourhood second hand dealer shop - NO A/C no sofa just restaurant type seats with a round table in centre.Is this what you call a showroom?This was fine a decade back but in Today's environment it is unacceptable.Your selling Grand vitara like expensive vehicles and if this is the experience a premium customer is expecting , he will walk away before entering Showroom.Very few models are displayed without any clear information about them
      e.Knowledge and Behavior - Less said the better. I expect female Sales team Leader to be more professional than their Male counterparts but female Sales Team leaders are giving the male counterparts a run for their money - Its shocking. After Sales Executive had given TD , further discussion , he asked his Team Leader , a female in late 30s to attend to us. Arrogant ,disinterested and What the hell your doing here was the words that came to my mind when My Mom was discussing finer details with her.I felt that further exchanges would be Futile so I and my mother left showroom.I don't want rate it so I have deliberately left it.Its that Bad
      Overall Rating - 1/10

B.Rana Motors -
      a. Location - Safdarjung Enclave, (Opp. Bhikaji Cama Place),
      New Delhi. though it is is easily accessible but being close to Inner Ring Road there is the problem of Traffic Jams
      Rating - 5/10
      b.Showroom - in a city like Delhi finding adequate showroom space is difficult so in this limited Space they have managed to display most of the vehicles with adequate amount of information.Also Showroom appeared more inviting
      Rting 6/10
      c.ambiance - it is OK with TD cars parked in the Service Lane.
      Rating- 5/10
      d. Test drive - TD was arranged swiftly with no problem
      Rating 7/10
      e.Knowledge and behaviour - I would rate sales executive 3/10 mainly on account of his attitude towards me like giving me so called advice that you race the engine which occurred only once and due to some nervousness during TD as there was repeated honking from behind in service lane , I thought I engaged the gear, slipped clutch and gave some gas the car screamed ( no Fault of Mine).He was cut throat in discount giving not more than 15,000 , but my mother had contacted other dealerships of maruti they were giving 30000 as discount so after hard bargaining he agreed to a price of our liking with no mats , mud flaps or any other accessories.

You may wonder Why I opted for this dealer simple reason, I left decision making process to my father and my father liked him ( I don't know why? )
      overall Rating -- 4/10

C.Allianz Maruti - I keep it brief overall I will rate it 4/10.the attitude , behavior is same as any MSIL dealership

D. Competent motors - 7/10 overall , this experience I will be narrated later

P.S - Dealership Experience continues in next post.
      Last edited by Star City; 12th Jan 2011 at 11:36. Reason: To correct factual errors in Sentences

Awesome

Dealership Experences( continued...)

2.GM-CHEVROLET

A.Metro Chevrolet
      Quick details-
      The chevrolet Sales Executive was very welcoming and offered to give fully loaded spark with Driver's Airbag , ABS , alloys in top end variant for just 3.6 lakh OTR , Delhi.
      a. Location - just few blocks before Rana Motors in Safdurjung Enclave , New Delhi.though it is is easily accessible but being close to Inner Ring Road there is the problem of Traffic Jams
      Rating 6/10

b.Showroom - in a city like Delhi finding adequate showroom space is difficult so in this limited Space they have managed to display most of the vehicles with adequate amount of information.
      Also Showroom appeared more inviting.The cars were decorated with balloons , soft toys - more appealing than Rana Motors were looking more Bling
      Rating 7/10
      c.ambiance - it is OK with TD cars parked in the Service Lane.but the cars were parked more methodically
      Rating- 6/10
      d.Test drive was arranged more swiftly and was willing to show other vehicles for TD
      Rating - 8/10
      e.Knowledge and Behavior - As I pointed out in Quick details the sales executive was only interested in selling the vehicle and was willing to give freebies, very persistent though which I liked .
      overall I will rate him as 9/10
      Overall Rating - 9/10
      P.S - Dealership experiences conclusion and rest details in next posts.

Awesome

Dealership Experiences(conclusion)

3.Hyundai

MGF - Hyundai
      Quick details - I went their looking for i20 but booking price was high - 1 lakh so didn't bother to come back
      a. Location - 1, Jhandewalan, Faiz Road, Karol Bagh, New Delhi.the location of showroom is in very congested area of Delhi.
      Rating - 5/10
      b.Showroom - the floor space is less even though the entire building housing the showroom is large.very few vehicle were displayed.
      Rating - 6/10
      c.ambiance - is ok , nothing special to comment about it as Metro construction was going on.TD was neither offered or nor I requested for TD.So no rating.
      e.Knowledge and Behavior - was again okay.Sales Executive was courteous.
      Rating - 7/10
      Overall Rating - 7/10

P.S- Please bear with me as I try to give you a complete ownership experience. More details in next post
      Last edited by Star City; 3rd Mar 2011 at 12:07. Reason: To correct errors in sentences

Awesome

Real Cost of Ownership
      An Introduction
      The cost of owning a car not only includes cheap service or spare parts .The are many things which though may look insignificant become significant.They assume great importance during the life of car which may make or break
      the trust the owner has in the product.

So in subsequent posts I will Highlight these with respect to my car(A- star).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information