• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple way to increase intake in air filter?

Do you really want it?

Awesome

Simple way to increase intake in air filter?

Hi Guys,

I know this is a very crude way. But I was just wondering if it is possible to increase the intake in the air filter by making more holes on the cover alongside the existing one? That way we could decrease the resistance and increase the surface area for easier flow. Could you please point me in the right direction, if this is feasible or not recommended?

Name:  af.JPG
Views: 432
Size:  3.7 KB

Do you really want it?

Awesome

So I take it that it is a silly idea

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

autohead, might not be a silly idea.

But to understand what you are saying, could you please let us know what car you are planning to do this on? And some quick pictures of the cover on which you were proposing to make extra holes as well.

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by autohead View Post
      Hi Guys,

I know this is a very crude way. But I was just wondering if it is possible to increase the intake in the air filter by making more holes on the cover alongside the existing one? That way we could decrease the resistance and increase the surface area for easier flow. Could you please point me in the right direction, if this is feasible or not recommended?

Name:  af.JPG
Views: 432
Size:  3.7 KB
      not recommended as will allow dust through the filter and get inside burn chamber.. although a better way I think would be to use a 220V leaf blower couple it with an inverter thingy, and fix it to the air intake.. serious static pressure..but I don't know what profit we will gain with this method..I fail to understand the concept of pushing in air inside an engine..
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

Do you really want it?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
      autohead , might not be a silly idea.

But to understand what you are saying, could you please let us know what car you are planning to do this on? And some quick pictures of the cover on which you were proposing to make extra holes as well.
      I have an m800 that I am willing to experiment on. I was talking about the black air filter enclosure that looks like a disc with 1 foot diameter and has a small opening near the edge and one large one on the center of the other side for connection to the intake manifold. I don't have a picture now, I will post it once I reach home.

What I feel is, for vehicles with this kind of round shaped filter, the intake hole is small and may offers much resistance. So making more holes along side the original might improve the intake.

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

yeah, might do , might not, but will reduce life of filter and will allow water if in case the vehicle if partially submerged which happens in case of chennai rains..but if you've got a vehicle to experiment..sure try it ,you might hit the goldspot..
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

Do you really want it?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Sachdev View Post
      not recommended as will allow dust through the filter and get inside burn chamber.. although a better way I think would be to use a 220V leaf blower couple it with an inverter thingy, and fix it to the air intake.. serious static pressure..but I don't know what profit we will gain with this method..I fail to understand the concept of pushing in air inside an engine..
      We are not modifying any other aspects of the fir filter right. Only increase surface area of the filter that is already being exposed to outside air. The filter will still be fixed snugly and continue to work as usual. Only thing we are eliminating is air struggling to get in from a narrow passage.

Do you really want it?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Sachdev View Post
      yeah, might do , might not, but will reduce life of filter and will allow water if in case the vehicle if partially submerged which happens in case of chennai rains..but if you've got a vehicle to experiment..sure try it ,you might hit the goldspot..
      Yeah, let me try. Having k&n filters also have the same disadvantage wrt being exposed to water. and anyways I get the filter replaced at each 5k anyways even if it is good. so life of the filter should not matter much too.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I am not sure what you want to do, but your theory of increasing airflow most likely has no relevance to performance gains. To improve performance on an air intake for normally aspirated engines increasing the surface area of intake points will usually lose performance.

There is a lot more to air intake revisions. If you want to improve performance on the M 800 then you have to bin the factory intake and start from square one.

Do you really want it?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by drifter View Post
      I am not sure what you want to do, but your theory of increasing airflow most likely has no relevance to performance gains. To improve performance on an air intake for normally aspirated engines increasing the surface area of intake points will usually lose performance.

There is a lot more to air intake revisions. If you want to improve performance on the M 800 then you have to bin the factory intake and start from square one.
      Hey, you are the performance guru around here right. I have heard about you in these threads
      So that explains why the inlet hole is so small. And so if my understanding is correct, just increasing the surface area is no good and if I want to increase the performance, I need to squeeze push more air in as turbos do.

btw, can i mod the 800 with a turbo? and if it's worth it. It would be great if it can be a diy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information