• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Test Drive - Toyota ETIOS

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Short Test Drive - Toyota ETIOS

What you like

Ø Very Spacious
      Ø Huge boot – 595 Liters
      Ø Visibility from drivers seat
      Ø Peppy engine
      Ø Light clutch
      Ø Ride quality – moderate and high speeds
      Ø Gear box – short throws

What you don’t like

Ø Flimsy build quality
      Ø Interiors
      Ø Conservative looks
      Ø Back seat comfort
      Ø Cost Cutting – pretty evident
      Ø Windscreen wiper – only one wiper, not sure on the performance.

Looks & Interiors: First impression, the car looks like an updated or a facelifted version of the Logan. Looks conservative but definitely not ugly. Other than the base version all other models get a chrome finished front grill which adds up to the looks of the car. The car that was kept on display inside the showroom was a basic version – J.The first thing you notice when you open the door of the car is the buid quality, it is flimsy and pathetic. The way the doors open & close tells you the story of cost cutting. Coming to the interiors, the quality of plastics is the worst in the segment. Even if we are comparing here to the SWIFT or the Manza they are far better when compared to the ETIOS. The interiors with the unconventional design of the dashboard looks new but definitely not pleasing. Front seat comes with fixed head rest in all models and the back seat does not have any. Apart from this the front seats are comfy and provide good lumbar support. The seat fabric is not any great. Coming to the rear seats, It might be only next to Indigo manza in terms of space in the segment. No center pillar and can accommodate three medium built persons easily. The rear seats do provide the extra lumbar support but is a bit upright and may not be comfortable over long drives. The first impression, the rear seat feels like a bench and could have been better. Coming to the boot the ETIOS gets a huge boot which can take in 595 liters of luggage. Space is definitely the USP of ETIOS.

The base version ‘J’ at 5.87 Lac on raod in Bangalore which comes with only AC is definitely not value for money for me. Surprising that the base version does not even come with a power steering. Think that the base version is aimed at the taxi segment, this version does look pretty ugly from outside as well as nothing great from inside too.

To be continued……..
      Last edited by Trojan; 7th Feb 2011 at 09:51.

^_^

Awesome

Naiceee.. I was wondering why there are no reviews on ETIOS yet. Now i see one
      Honk if you want to see my finger!

Back to life!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
      First impression, the car looks like an updated or a facelifted version of the Logan.
      Yesterday, on the university road, I was behind a Logan. After following it in traffic for about 1 KM, there was another Logan on the right side of this one. Looking at the two vehicles, I realized that there are some differences in the design of the rear. One car had a chrome plate on the corner of the trunk and other did not. So, I looked more carefully to spot more differences, only to notice that one had Toyota logo and another had Mahindra Renault. Indeed, the one I was following was an Etios.
      Xylo E8 - Black Color
      Indica V2 - Silver Blue

Awesome

Test Drive: The first thing that I had checked was the tyres on the base verison which came shod with 175/65 R 14 MRF ZVTS tyres, me and my friend completed the necessary formalities and came out of the showroom and were walking towards the test drive car. The car to be test driven was model ‘V’ which is one model below the top end version. Did check the tyres and the alloys. This model comes with 185/60 R 15 alloy wheels shod with Bridgestone tyres, was pleasantly surprised to note the fact that the offset difference between the base version and this is 3.41 % with a difference of almost 10 mm but as per the manual both the versions have the same ground clearance of 170 mm. To this question of mine the sales executive did not have any answers but assured me that she will get back to me.

From outside, this version of the car did look far better than the base version with the front chrome grill and chrome inserts at the rear. The interiors are also good with the sporty dual tone seat fabric which comes in dark shade. Did expect that quality of the plastics used inside the car to be far better than the base version but only to realize that the interiors isn’t any better and the quality of plastics used still remain the same. Cranked the engine, its super refined at idling, slotted the car in the first gear and drove her off to the road. The showroom is located on the Kanakpura road which is hardly a kilometer from NICE road, decided to take her for a spin on the NICE highway.

Details: Visibility from the front seats is simply great, ride at lower speeds is a little bit harsh but as the speed increases the ride quality improves. Step on the gas and the car pulls swiftly. Though the 1st and the 2nd gear are smaller the 3rd gear is where all the fun starts to kick in. Push her hard and the engine becomes pretty vocal. The engine refinement at idling is very good and absolutely no signs of vibration, but while driving the refinement could have been better.

The gear box is a delight for city driving with short throws. The gears where a bit hard to slot, think since it was a new car with only 700 odd kilometers on the odo, it would ease up with more number of kilometers. The best clutch that I have come across of all the sedans I have driven till date. Very soft and short, will be a boon driving in the city traffic.

The AC is very powerful and cools the cabin really fast. Even with the AC on the drop in the power was pretty negligible.

The car does pull up fast upto 120 KM/HR but was not able to push her post that due to traffic and short test drive. Braking with ABS is confidence inspiring. The car does feel planted on the road upto 120 KM/HR.The car did disappoint a bit in terms of the handling. The car is surely not designed to take corners at high speeds. Did notice a bit of body roll while taking curves at speeds more than 80 KM/HR (Need to test the car longer drives to check on handling).

For the first time when I looked at the broachers I could not believe my eyes that the car weighted just 900 KGs and the top end variant is heavier by only 30 KGs.The car is lighter than many hatchbacks sold currently in India. This is the very reason the car pulls swiftly because of the power to weight ratio and has a high ARAI certified FE figures for a sedan.

Was surprised to see just one wiper on the windscreen. Though it is too early to comment on the performance of the wiper. We will only get to know once it starts raining. Hope Toyota has done thorough testing before coming up with this idea of cost cutting.

Verdict: No doubt the car comes loaded with all the possible features for a sedan but definitely does not feel like a Toyota. In the bargain of launching a car at this price tag, Toyota has compromised way too much on the quality of the car. The strongest points of the ETIOS are space, engine, gear box ,FE and super light clutch, but, does it have in it to beat the competition?

In my opinion, shell out additional 50 K – 1 Lac and buy the Fiesta, Verna, Manza or wait for the updated verison of the SWIFT Desire to be launched if you are looking for a sedan. Except for the fit & finish which ETIOS might be a tad better than the above I do not see any reason for it to be better than the competition.

Generally, someone who is looking out for a hatchback and ready to shell out a bit more so that he can have a sedan might look at considering ETIOS as an option.
      My suggestions to everyone, Analyse your requirements , test drive the car carefully and then go ahead and book the car. It’s after all your hard earned money.

The following are prices in Bangalore for your reference

Variants and Price (On road Bangalore)

EJ (J) : 5, 87,480 (the one kept on display)

EI (G) : 6, 54,227

EH (G SP) : 7, 14, 240

EG (V) : 7, 66,742 (the test drive version)

EF (VX) : 8, 20,814

Note : The results are based on a short test drive made by me and might vary from person to person.The verdict and suggestion is purely my opinion.
      Last edited by Trojan; 7th Feb 2011 at 13:16.

Awesome

Few snaps of ETIOS,Version - V

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05022011124.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	621.0 KB 
ID:	31595Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05022011125.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	542.5 KB 
ID:	31596Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05022011126.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	568.6 KB 
ID:	31597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05022011127.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	562.7 KB 
ID:	31598

Awesome

Few snaps of Model J - Base Version
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05022011134.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	422.1 KB 
ID:	31606  

Name:	05022011133.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	335.8 KB 
ID:	31607  

Name:	05022011132.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	319.2 KB 
ID:	31608  

Name:	05022011131.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	324.5 KB 
ID:	31609  

Name:	05022011130.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	31610  

Name:	05022011128.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	31611  

Name:	05022011129.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	395.9 KB 
ID:	31612  

Last edited by Trojan; 9th Feb 2011 at 13:09.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Trojan that is a nice crisp review on the Etios.

I too spotted a Etios on our way to Bombay and almost passed it off as a Logan.

And whats with the central console layout and it looks bad? And its surprising that the plastics are bad on a Toyota.

In Bhai we Trust

Hungry

Is it the picture or is it real?
      The interiors look like a <4L car. (Spark??)

Thanks for the pictures trojan. Job well done

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by WildWeasel View Post
      Is it the picture or is it real?
      The interiors look like a <4L car. (Spark??)

Thanks for the pictures trojan. Job well done
      Thanks Wildweasel and Mclaren.

The interiors on the base version are looking pretty good in the snaps than what actually it is(apologies for the bad quality of snaps,since were taken from my cell phone).You should step into one to check the quality of plastics & fabric(atleast the fabric is better in higher end models).

I wonder what did Toyota test for 5 years before coming up with this car.i am personally a huge admirer of Toyota,especially on the quality bit.But ETIOS definately is not upto Toyota standards.
      Last edited by Trojan; 9th Feb 2011 at 16:03.

^_^

Awesome

OMG!!! Indica has much better interiors then this. I just can't believe that the base model has such cheap interiors
      Honk if you want to see my finger!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information