• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Honda City VTEC

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

My Honda City VTEC

I have been planning to buy a Honda for nearly 2 years and 7 months ago I chanced a clean deal and picked up my dream ride. My earlier cars were a 2002 model Zen LXI and a 2007 model Esteem LXI. The Esteem was picked due to my frustration in not having found a clean Honda. So finally it was a 2001 model Heather Mist, Honda City Vtec.
      The car was used previously a gentleman who probably never even hit Vtec even once in his life. Chauffeur driven mostly and self driven at times, the car had full service history and was maintained very well. I didnt hesitate to buy it being an AP reg car for the fact that I was getting the car in Bangalore for a very good deal and for my exact budget. My budget was well under 3 Lakhs. Bangalore cars were too fancy for me to afford, or too battered for me to even look at.
      Picked the car after a full check up at Whitefield Honda and took home and did a compression test. Was showing 185psi on all 4 cyls, impressive for a car run 80k kms, back then.

The Mods:
      It was time for me to immediately dump the stock exhaust system and the log type header is no good for me. So after simulating my exhaust specs, went onto build my first ever car exhaust. I started work on my 4 x 1 system. The exhaust was fabricated over 7 days and it took quite some time for the multistage design to be welded together. As expected the car was loud, but the real deal was in the performance. The exhaust system alone cut a full-second to 100kph as per the acceleration tests. All this, with the stock airbox (I call it a coffin box), stock ECU and everything else. Not a bolt was changed. The torque produced by my 4 x 1 system is unmatched by a 4 x 2 x 1 system.
      My next upgrade was suspension. I could go-on souping power, but the real deal lies in making the package handle and keeping things under control without too much drama. Got my custom coilovers from abroad during my foreign visit and also got myself a JDM D-series manifold. The install was direct and also a custom cold intake system was crafted. All the fabrication work was done at our very own Shabeer's place. He is a very skillful man. Hatts off to his workmanship.
      I also bolted my AFR logger - AEM and the engine was still compensating for the extra lean from the exhaust and intake. The TB and injectors were stock. Later added a Race Dynamics 0901 to the equation.
      After setting up the ECU and fine-tuning everything, it was my first chance to enter a drag race at Hyd. Entered the street stock class and I placed first with ease. The next car was 1.3 secs behind. I did a 16 secs run with a goofed up launch coz of a marshall distracting me. That strip was more inclined over the regular shamshabad airport strip and all cars were slower by around 0.5secs.
      Next did a dyno test at RRP and managed to pull off 82whp with a stock engine still. FYI, a stock 106hp claimed stock Vtec makes 71whp at the RRP dyno.
      After being bored with its regular 8 odd secs to 100kph timing, I wanted something faster. So stripped off the head and started my tweek. Bumped compression to just about indicate 195psi on all 4 cyls. Meanwhile replaced the clutch to an Exedy stage one and it was time for the next dyno run to see what gains I got.
      Before the dyno, and while I was doing my headwork I met shrey (shrey is proof to my entire engine build) and I told him that if I dont make atleast 10whp more with just the headwork I'm a total moron. So I was curious to see the dyno figs.
      Logged nearly 88.7whp with the stock ECU and with further tuning on the Race Dynamics ECU, I managed to get a good 95whp. That was nearly 13whp over my previous dyno. The RRP guys were quite happy to see a car make this much without any internals and for a few minutes, the car turned into an exhibition of sorts with everyone coming over and peeping into the engine bay. Quite an impressive figure considering a 1.8L Corolla claimed at 140hp makes 92whp and a 138hp civic makes around 82hp. I'm hovering around a decent figure.
      Next was timing how quick the car is to the ton. Borrowed a V-box and I was off on a timing run. With full load in the car, nearly 30 ltrs gas in the tank, spare wheel and some stuffs in the car and the car alone weighing a full 970 kilos (when I last checked 2 mnths ago) I knew it was a limp mode run. Still went ahead with my test and hit the electronic city stretch. First run, excessive wheel spin and clocked a 7.9secs. I was surprised and I was dumb struck. Next run with the launch control off and a manual launch, clocked 7.7 secs. Again impressive but I knew there was more, coz it still spun out badly. The 4th run finally clocked an impressive 7.47secs and I was flattered. 0-400mts was in 15.5secs.
      So thats where the car stands now.
      Its my daily drive and a few fellow members have had a spin in my car and they can review how slow it is . Since the build, I have clocked 5500kms in the last 40 days. I get an FE of 12-13kmpl without A/C in city and 15-16kmpl on highways with AC. The car has spent a lot of time on the highways due to my assignments at the MMSC track, chennai.

Specs of the car,
      2001 Honda City Vtec
      Engine:
      Stock Internals
      Stock valve train
      Modified cylinder head
      195psi across cyls
      4 x 1 exhaust system with multistage dimensions
      4.25 FD Gearbox
      Exedy Stage one clutch

Intake:
      Custom made cold air intake system with multistage inlet dimensions
      JDM D-series Honda manifold
      BMC Twin air filter

ECU:
      Race Dynamics 0901 system, self mapped on dyno/road testing

Wheels/Suspension:
      Stock Honda alloys
      Hankook Ventus RS2 195s
      Custom made fully adjustable coilovers

Interiors/Exteriors:
      Stock interior with AEM WB logger
      Pioneer HU with Polk audio and MB quart Components
      Stock fabric seats

Performance:
      0-100kph - 7.47 secs
      0-160kph - 19 secs
      0-400mtrs - 15.5secs
      (all in full street trim with zero weight off)

The car has been only worked by me and I am in the process of doing my next upgrade soon. Will post the updates soon.

Joel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda city - 0-100kph 7.47secs.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	658.4 KB 
ID:	32826

Name:	Honda City 0-100kph - distance.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	577.4 KB 
ID:	32827

Name:	joel honda city cyl head work.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	32829

Name:	joel honda city cyl head work3.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	32832

Name:	16012011006.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	32831

Name:	16012011010.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	32830
      Last edited by Joel; 24th Feb 2011 at 01:38.
      www.raceconcepts.in
      Performance | Perfection | Podium

^_^

Awesome

thats one hell of a lucky machine you have got mate!

0 - 100 in 7.47 sec is absolutely brilliant!!!
      Honk if you want to see my finger!

Awesome

Joel - What a car!!!! Awesome stuff. Congrats on the achievement! I am sure your car will make some turbo cars run for their money.

Off topic - Do you drive around Kormangala often? I remember seeing your car.

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Joel I guess your car redefines what a NA OHC Vtec can do!

Do you run with normal gas? Or higher octane / speed 97 etc?

Awesome

Nice work Jo and good to see you here in GH. And congrats, you have a faster and more fuel efficient car than mine!
      Life was much simpler when APPLE and BLACKBERRY were just fruits!

Lost & searching..

Secret

That's a list of awesome mods you have done mate. I deeply respect your knowledge and passion. Guess that's what makes this community tick.. BTW, I'm havin a hard time, locating the custom exhaust in the posted pic.. Could you help me locate it?

Wishin you all the best of luck with your planned mods and have a satiating time with your car

OT: Guess my handle suits you more coz you really are in pursuit of power and by the look of it, you've got some already!
      Last edited by inpursuitofpwr; 24th Feb 2011 at 08:19.
      There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the Guillotine - PGW

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
      Performance:
      0-100kph - 7.47 secs
      0-160kph - 19 secs
      0-400mtrs - 15.5secs
      Seems impressive, can't wait to see what your build can do once you decide to go all out. Any set targets? WHP or drag times you have in mind?

The torque produced by my 4 x 1 system is unmatched by a 4 x 2 x 1 system.
      But don't 4x1 headers have a narrow(er) power band and shift the peak power higher up the rev range while the 4x2x1 should have a wider powerband at lower rpm band?

4 x 1 exhaust system with multistage dimensions
      By multistage dimensions, you mean unequal length runners?

Custom made fully adjustable coilovers
      Adjustable for? Would love to hear more about the suspension bit, one of the big let downs of the Vtec is its handling and ability to get good suspension upgrades, unless this is supposed be a "secret" package.

Awesome

Aditya - Thanks man. Yes I do drive around Koramangala .

tadukuttan - Like I said, I've achieved these numbers with no-so-high compression (195psi per cyl) and I can fill any grade fuel and till date I've never used any fancy fuel. Just the usual 87 octane stuff. The efficiency in the engine has been enhanced with a very high flowing port and a radical combustion chamber design.

@Tom - Thanks man. I really dont know about that bit .

inpursuitofpwr - The exhaust end right below the gearlever and hence cant be seen in the pics. The deisgn is very weird and ends quite short. Its loud and its quite an experience when you floor the pedal .

@mclaren - I dont have any targets set man, will take the build as it goes. My factor is Vitamin M. My target untill now was to get the best performance without changing any internals and I guess the figures are quite decent. Next, will start building and dropping in my custom list.
      About the exhaust, well thats exactly what I meant when I said my 4 x 1 makes more low down torque as well compared a 4 x 2 x 1. Dont ask me how, just ask anybody who has sat in my car. And also refer the dyno chart. The stock vtec dyno curve in the comparo was of a car running a 4 x 2 1 system. Which is why I said its quite a radical design. Also I do not wish to let out any info on it, coz a lot has gone behind simulating and building that package. Its not unequal length headers. They are something else. They end up giving the engine a mild super-charging effect is all I can reveal .
      The suspension was the most worthy upgrade. Has height adjusting and damper adjusting options. I can add a camber/caster adjusting top plate which I have not done yet.

Joel
      www.raceconcepts.in
      Performance | Perfection | Podium

Lost & searching..

Secret

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Joel
      The exhaust end right below the gearlever and hence cant be seen in the pics. The deisgn is very weird and ends quite short. Its loud and its quite an experience when you floor the pedal .
      Joel
      Ah.. That explains it. Would definitely love to hear her scream. Maybe you could post a video for all of us

P.S: Ignore the smiley. No clue how it got into my post.
      There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the Guillotine - PGW

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

thats a deadly sleeper except for couple of stickers!!

Save the endangered species!! Save the Two Strokes!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130855790280909/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information