• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choose your 4x4 Tires carefully

O_o

Awesome

Choose your 4x4 Tires carefully

Lets face it. Every car company needs to save money to keep costs down. Now people in India are choosy about colors, and interior quality, Mileage, looks of the car etc etc. they NEVER check what brand of tires the car is coming with.

Why? Simple - People here do not think that Tires are that important. as long as it has Air in it the tires will turn. If the thread wears out then we will change and go for a cheaper option. I use the vehicle in city and few highway trips.

Tire stores and salesmen also look for the easy way, and out deals by handing out whatever they feel comes as standard on your car model and DO NOT make an attempt to sell you something better. I guess they are not aware of the tire performance or they just do not want the headache of answering questions.
      They depend on the customer to do his research and ask for a particular brand. those will be pulled out and straight away they tell the price. 7k per tire. how many do you want?

Especially for SUV owners who drive into the stores just to enquire.

my story went like this.

I drive the endeavour into a famous tire dealer in bangalore (name witheld for obvious reasons)

walk inside and no one is bothered.
      Me - Hi.
      Salesman - Hello Sir
      Me - i am looking for new tires for the endeavour
      SM - what model
      Me - 2010
      SM - already worn out aa
      Me - No changing for better road grip and Offroad abilities. what you got?
      SM - Why sir, keep the same. you will save money.
      Me - Dude, these tires are pathetic. do you have any brouchers for AT tires?
      SM - ummm. let me check
      Me - what about yokohama geolandars AT tires?
      SM - yes. 7.5k per tire,. how many you want
      Me - how many do you think a car needs?
      SM - generally people buy 4
      Me - then why ask that question? I need 5 though.
      SM - ok. shall i fit them.
      Me - dude, tell me more options, how are Maxxis or Bfgoodrich, anything in Michelins?
      SM - i am not aware sir.
      Me - ok. thank you. Bye

Trsut me. I dont know what Ford was thinking fitting MRF's on a 4x4? I mean these tires are ok for city drive and for regular people who do not exceed 45 kmph, but once you are about 90kmph the tire noise is high. also these tend to spin at the slightest depress of the accelerator.

I was frustrated by this experience. I mean how can you appoint people to sell tires and they have no clue about the ratings, OTR capabilities or road comfort?

Thats when I came back to office and started my Online research on these. Next time, I will choose what I need online, read owner reviews and then decide.

Here is what I have researched till date. These are for SUV's though and more so for 4x4.

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Tires - Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 | BFGoodrich Tires
      Unfortunately comfort level stands at 5 for this. The comfort level is based on tire pattern and city / highway drive.

Name:  BFG-TAKM2-001.jpg
Views: 9423
Size:  37.3 KB

Yokohama Geolandars MT - http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT..._Geolandar.htm

These are excellent offroad and mudterrain tires, but again city and highway drive is not comfortable.

Name:  geolandarmt.jpg
Views: 9118
Size:  45.4 KB

The Big Daddy - Maxxis Big Horn MT762 - MT-762 Bighorn

Though a lot of offroaders swear by these tires, these are again specific to offroad only!! Do not use these in city due to high road noise, faster wear and loose grip in wet tarmac conditions.

Name:  maxxis bighorn.jpg
Views: 7688
Size:  14.3 KB

Pirelli Scorpion ATR - http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/car-su...o/default.page

These are good tires, but i am not a fan of the pattern.

Name:  pirelli_scorpion_atr.jpg
Views: 8660
Size:  68.2 KB

Last but not the least - the Yokohama Geolandar ATS - Yokohama Tires – Geolandar A/T-S All Terrain On & Off Road

I have used these for approx 3000 kms in the Dicor. excellent Grip on wet, dry and sandy surface.
      I guess this is what I will be going in for again. Though I am not aware of their offroad capabilities. Buy hrag has used them for over 60k kms and these are still running strong.

Name:  Yokohama-GEOLANDAR-AT-S-G012-Off-Road-Tire.jpg
Views: 7887
Size:  41.8 KB

Personally whatever said and done, I feel that if your SUV is 4x4 capable or not, the Tires play an important role in its handling and on road behavior characteristics.
      MT (Mud Terrain) Tires are not meant for street use.
      AT (All Terrain) Tires are good for both City and Offroad use. though their offroad capabilities are less compared to MT.
      Yes an MT tire on your SUV will give it the Bully characteristic and also make a statement to the rest of the crowd and you still go ahead and put these on your vehicle, then please ensure to slow down while turning and also be extremely careful during Rains.

Cheers. Hope it helps.

Oh. I guess its the new Geolandar AT for the endeavour

Dicored!

Awesome

This brings up a question...Would the Geolander AT do any good to a 4x2 SUV?

Apparently, off tarmac/rough terrain driving would be easier and reduce rear wheel spin in gravelly tracks?
      https://www.facebook.com/ThaenMadurai/

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Nice thread. At times it is indeed a worrying factor that people do not understand the importance of good tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      DO NOT make an attempt to sell you something better
      You can attribute this to the attitude of the customer. If you stand at a tyre shop long enough, you will notice that 95% of the customers who walk in want the same tyres in the same size and will not budge because what they are worried about is FE than grip or better braking. So I guess the tyre shop guys just don't bother anymore. And 4% who do want to upsize do it ONLY FOR THE LOOKS. Just 1% actually upsize tyres for better later grip under cornering and braking.

If you are planning to buy tyres for you SUV that does duty in the city, highway and the occasional OTR, look no further than the Yoko Geolander ATS. Brilliant tyres. Both hrag and prabhuav have them and swear by them. I have had several opportunities of driving SUVs with Geos. Probably the AD-07 equivalent in the All Terrain tyres in India today.

Arkaprava.Datta@gmail.com

Awesome

M/T

Personally whatever said and done, I feel that if your SUV is 4x4 capable or not, the Tires play an important role in its handling and on road behavior characteristics.
      MT (Mud Terrain) Tires are not meant for street use.
      AT (All Terrain) Tires are good for both City and Offroad use. though their offroad capabilities are less compared to MT.
      Yes an MT tire on your SUV will give it the Bully characteristic and also make a statement to the rest of the crowd and you still go ahead and put these on your vehicle, then please ensure to slow down while turning and also be extremely careful during Rains.
      Hi Godfather,

Most M/T Tyres are Street Legal (DOT/BIS/European Specs) otherwise the wouldn't have a higher speed rating.

The worst offenders amongst the MT family are extremely exotic and are still certified for 80KMPH.

There are quite a few M/T which are just illegal but mainly due to the carnage they cause Off-Road.

Most of the Current Radial M/Ts are good for at least 30K kms.

Also the M/T are not that bad on the road during rains or wet weather.

Regards,

Arka
      Last edited by ex670c; 18th Mar 2011 at 12:02. Reason: typo
      JEEPer Speak - Engage Mind, before Opening Mouth.

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kairalee View Post
      Would the Geolander AT do any good to a 4x2 SUV?
      Yes it would. I had them on my Dicor and they had very good grip. these also gave better control of the safari during rains. trust me. Safari gets scary in wet braking conditions especially in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      R, look no further than the Yoko Geolander ATS. Brilliant tyres.
      Yeah. as mentioned above, i have used the geolandars on the dicor, but have never taken them offroad.
      how do you think they will perform over clay and stone terrain?

Back to life!!

Awesome

A very nice thread.... 4 years back, I used to be one such customer who would walk into a tyre store and would come out in 5 mins after purchasing the tyres. Here is how the conversation would go:

Me: Hi, I need new tyres for my car - ABC make
      SM: What is your budget?
      Me: Limited, but lets get to that later. I need tubeless tyres from Bridgestone. (F1 fever made me go for Bridgestone.. and tubeless was the latest buzz word then)
      SM: Ok, here is what we have. A very good tyre. It costs Rs. XYZ.
      Me: Give it to me for XYZ-10%.
      SM: Ok.
      Deal is done!!

Sad but true. In last 3-4 years, after I started going through the information on various aspects of the car maintenance, I started realizing the mistakes I had done. But, its never too late to correct the mistakes.
      Xylo E8 - Black Color
      Indica V2 - Silver Blue

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
      Also the M/T are not that bad on the road during rains or wet weather
      Thanks Arka, but would like to know how the geolandar MT will perform on the Endeavour, especially since its my daily drive as well?
      if you have used these tires or the maxxis bighorn for your daily drive, then i would love to hear about it.

the geolandar AT used by hrag has lasted him over 45k kms.
      if we are talking about 8K per tire which will last approx 30k kms then the expense ratio is too much.

Awesome

Geolander

Thanks Arka, but would like to know how the geolandar MT will perform on the Endeavour, especially since its my daily drive as well?
      if you have used these tires or the maxxis bighorn for your daily drive, then i would love to hear about it.

the geolandar AT used by hrag has lasted him over 45k kms.
      if we are talking about 8K per tire which will last approx 30k kms then the expense ratio is too much.
      Hi Godfather,

I have seen 5 Yokohama tyres ripping their sidewall, 3 of them on the same OTR, back in 2007.

In Feb 2009, experienced 3 punctures OTR within a few hours, on a Trax Gurkha, luckily they were tubeless and a puncture shop was nearby.

This year another Yoko A/T gashed the sidewall at Aavalakonda 2011.

So I am not too fond of their regular Tyres, normally the M/T have a heavier construction, i.e Thicker/Stronger Sidewalls.

If A/T is the way to go try the Michelin LTX-AT if available.

Currently I'm using Goodyear G90 LT7.50X16R, but then again I have 5 sets of tyres for my JEEP, only one being radial that is my Mud-terrain Tyre.

Also do consider up sizing your tyre (Slightly Broader & Taller), especially if you plan to take your vehicle off-road.

While considering the expense ratio, do consider the damage that can be caused, if the tyres don't grip, in wet/deep/muddy conditions, one trip and resulting damages will justify the cost of faster wearing MT's especially in a SUV or Heavier Vehicle.

Regards,

Arka

O_o

Awesome

I have seen 5 Yokohama tyres ripping their sidewall, 3 of them on the same OTR, back in 2007.

In Feb 2009, experienced 3 punctures OTR within a few hours, on a Trax Gurkha, luckily they were tubeless and a puncture shop was nearby.

This year another Yoko A/T gashed the sidewall at Aavalakonda 2011.
      Damn, thats a lot.

Also do consider up sizing your tyre (Slightly Broader & Taller), especially if you plan to take your vehicle off-road.
      currently the MRF's are 245/70 16". i was planning on upgrading to 275/75 16"
      i plan to keep the same rims and not upsize to 17"

While considering the expense ratio, do consider the damage that can be caused, if the tyres don't grip, in wet/deep/muddy conditions, one trip and resulting damages will justify the cost of faster wearing MT's especially in a SUV or Heavier Vehicle.
      Makes sense. let me check out the MT as well. But are you sure that its ok for city drive? I mean my daily commute is over 100 km per day. somedays even more.

Awesome

Change

Damn, thats a lot.

currently the MRF's are 245/70 16". i was planning on upgrading to 275/75 16"
      i plan to keep the same rims and not upsize to 17"

Makes sense. let me check out the MT as well. But are you sure that its ok for city drive? I mean my daily commute is over 100 km per day. somedays even more.
      Hi Godfather,

245/70/16 is 29-30" to 245/75/16 is 30" or 235/85/16 is 31" or 255/85/16 is 33". (Approx)

By up size I didn't mean change the rims.

If you do 100Kms a day its better you stick to the OEM Tyres, buy another set of steel rims and fit the MT Tyres for OTRs.

Buy your Tyres after a few 5-10 OTRs, you will get a better picture.

The MT's make any vehicle look butch, and you may find it tough to take them off!!!

Regards,

Arka

PS - Try to increase the contact patch, by increasing the OD, hence circumference.
      Last edited by ex670c; 18th Mar 2011 at 12:35. Reason: addl. info

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information