• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Elantra's Brakes Upgrade

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Unhappy Elantra's Brakes Upgrade

I have a 2006(Dec) Elantra Crdi with 122000km on odo. I am very happy with the car except its brakes.
      First it gives a spongy feel, and is depressed fully (on other hand punto brakes are just class apart). Now the problems are -
      1) In spite of ABS, the car doesnt stop above 120, mean takes a lot of time with lot of juddering.
      2) After long distance or frequent use , rotors become quite hot and becomes very less effective as braking degrades and sometimes when braked hard it feels as there is no contact bet rotors and brake pads again with juddering.
      3) Spony feel , unlike other cars brakes elantra brakes can be pressed fully.

Now I have changed all the pads and it has been good but still all problems still persists but less frequent and with less juddering(kkrrr). Now I am thinking of following things for brakes upgrade in the order -
      1) Change rotors front only. if problem still persists then -
      2) Change Master cylinder and brake oil.
      3) Change rotors to aftermarket performance slotted rotors (from petes) with ebc/hawk brake pads.
      4) Or in place of third, Change Elantra rotors, Calipers and pads with Sonata's rotors, caliper and pads.

Please guide in the above matter and will I need to change Master cylinder and fluid lines also if I opt option three and four.
      Techie gurus gyan will be much appreciated.

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

i guess tadukuttan has changed rotors in his Elantra, he should help you in choosing the best.
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by turbo4fun View Post
      I am very happy with the car except its brakes.
      Funny, you say that. The Elantra has the best brakes that I know of. In some cases the 100-0 stopping distance is better than most BMWs and Mercs.

In spite of ABS, the car doesnt stop above 120, mean takes a lot of time with lot of juddering
      I think its the tyres that are letting you down, not the brakes. I have braked countless number of times from 200+ and have never managed to even get the ABS to kick in. Yes, the car was running some very good tyres.

After long distance or frequent use , rotors become quite hot and becomes very less effective as braking degrades
      Yes this is one problem on the Elantra. The rotors warp pretty easily. tadukuttan will explain why in detail

Change Master cylinder and brake oil
      Since your car has run a lot, I suggest you do get the master cylinder checked if not get it replaced.

Change rotors to aftermarket performance slotted rotors (from petes) with ebc/hawk brake pads
      Tarox rotors will definitely assist in reducing the warping, more importantly what they do is they don't heat up over prolonged use as well. Tadu is running slotted and cross drilled rotors from DBA, I have driven through some very twisty ghat sections without a single hint of judder for over an hour carrying some high speeds. Same stretch on stock rotors, the juddering would start around 15 mins.

I would stick to regular pads and change them more often instead. EBC/Hawk pads, specially if they are ceramic based, wont work well until they are heated up.

Or in place of third, Change Elantra rotors, Calipers and pads with Sonata's rotors, caliper and pads
      Not sure if they will fit. You will have to check the dia of the discs, check for PCD etc and see if they are the same. I would chose the aftermarket route if I were you.

Awesome

Thanks camchennai, mclaren1885 for reply.

Yeah mclaren1885, brakes are good(cold) but bad also (when heated) in my car or there may be some problem in my right caliper also as caliper pin got jammed once and during lubricating the inner rubber part was damaged and the mechanic wrapped thread type paste there, but caliper pin was moving freely after lubrication.

I am currently on 195/60 15 Amstrong. Previously I was on Bridgestone Tauranza 205/65 15 .. but braking was same with both. I changed tyres as BS ER60 were causing problem because of wrong size.
      So I will get the master cylinder inspected and will change if needed.

BTW what will be cost of Tarox rotors.

tadukuttan bhai where are you.

Awesome

tadukuttan waiting for your reply.
      And tomorrow I am going to HASS for MC checking and bleeding of MC and slave cylinder. And can I go for remap with 122000 on odo.

Thread Information