• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY : Maintenance / Servicing Bi-cycles

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

DIY : Maintenance / Servicing Bi-cycles

Now that many of us are interested in the other kinda bike, and many have got one. Can we discus about the Servicing or Maintenance part of it. There are lot of Videos / Topics in the online world about this, wanted our GH's to post some of your experiences.

From my side, not a major upgrade to the bike, its washed and oiled once a month, its fit and fine..
      Indica Xeta 1.4L
      RE Machismo 350
      Sold : Bajaj Pulsar 150

Awesome

dhruvj for all the knowledge that you've on this area, expecting a lot of inputs from you & hence making this thread sticky
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

I never really "maintained" my old Streetcat. my mind was always on other things. this time though, I plan to learn on the job.

looking at the new bike, doesnt look like a lot of maintenance is warranted. some oil, proper air pressure and cleanliness is all that appear to be needed. I plan to use my leftover Mobil engine oil on the bike. anybody got any suggestions on what grade would be right? for some reason, Im thinking fully synthetic 0W-40 wont stick long enough and that I need thicker oil. am I thinking correct?

Aargee, how about a sub forum exclusively for bicycles?

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

a sub forum. sweet! thanks Aargee!

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

I used to ride Hero Ranger. The first cycle from Hero company and the first one in Mysore to be bought in the year 1989-1990. DIY was towards cleaning it, oiling it, Puncture repair, removal bends in spoke and rims, free wheel repair, fork adjustment etc etc
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
      a sub forum. sweet! thanks Aargee!
      Thank the Ferrari handler, I only moved the posts appropriately
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by shishirbn View Post
      I used to ride Hero Ranger. The first cycle from Hero company and the first one in Mysore to be bought in the year 1989-1990. DIY was towards cleaning it, oiling it, Puncture repair, removal bends in spoke and rims, free wheel repair, fork adjustment etc etc
      detailed info about *how* you did your DIYs would be greatly appreciated shishirbn

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

For spokes/Rim repair, I used to remove the wheel and the tire and then put turn the whole cycle upside down and use that tool(the circular one which is having a slot to tighten the spoke nut- I don't remember the name). Put 2 screw or nails on either side of the rim so that it acts as the measuring point for the rim deviation. Whenever the rim has got dented, try to tighten the spoke and and lose the spoke on the opposite direction and you have to loosen the spoke on either side of the spoke which you are tightening. This process takes time and it is trial and error method. The same can be done to bikes also. I have done the same to my Kinetic Luna.

Other DIY jobs like cleaning,puncture repair are straight forward
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Awesome

Good that this thread is started. You guys dhruvj & 007 helped me kick off my starting problem to bi-cycle again Ok coming to the issue as why I stopped bi-cycling...

I've a specific rear braking issue & I feel little lazy to troubleshoot as I don't know what the issue is. My intention of this post is to seek help on what could be the possible problem so that I can fix it this weekend.

This is the type of rear brake I've on my ride & before braking, this is the position of both the angles
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3712.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	36375

After braking & releasing the lever, the angles don't come back to their original position.

Name:	IMG_3713.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	36401

And there's still so much of play or rather the lever goes so free because the rubber pads are pressed tight against the wheel rims henceforth there's some amount of loose cable

Name:	IMG_3715.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	36398

So I adjust the cable again so that the tightened position is released. However there's still some slight scrub of the brake pads against the rim at the normal position

Name:	IMG_3716.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	279.3 KB 
ID:	36400

So I pull the angles slightly slightly from the normal to this position so that the brake pads don't scrub against the wheel rims

Name:	IMG_3717.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	36399

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.
      Last edited by Aargee; 24th Mar 2011 at 20:34.

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Im no expert but it looks like the nut bolt arrangement that acts as a pivot is jamming. maybe loosening and lubricating it will help.

that type of brake is called a "V brake" isnt it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information