• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why should cars have all the belts?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Why should cars have all the belts?

Honda working on motorcycle seatbelts

Yep, you read it right. Honda is working on a system of seatbelts for motorcycles.

Seems crazy, but it looks like a serious project from the patents Honda has filed for the system. Designed for bikes like the Goldwing, where the rider won't be hanging off or moving around much in the seat, the belt arrangement is designed to make sure an airbag can work more and to reduce the chances of injuries, particularly in the sort of accident where the bike comes to a sudden halt.

However, the firm has recognised that in a lot of accidents it's better to be away from the bike rather than attached to it, so it's new seatbelt system also has elements of ejector seat in the mix. When the computer senses that the bike is irretrievably tipping over it releases the entire seat, with the rider still attached, and inflates an airbag backrest. The idea is that having ejected you slide down the road in a sitting position, with the seat betwixt your hide and the asphalt. Sort of extreme tobogganing.

And no, it's not April 1 just yet.

To be fair, when bike airbags were first mooted the idea seemed mad, and they've worked out pretty well on the Goldwing even if the idea hasn't spread elsewhere yet. Perhaps with enough development this could turn out to be a real safety boon. But we don't suggest you throw out your leathers just yet.

Source - Honda working on motorcycle seatbelts - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

Note - Pls visit the website to have a look at the images as the pics are copyrighted as well as making it difficult to make a reference.
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Awesome

things like Airbags and seat belts would be a lot easier to implement on a car. but all in this on bike shows HONDA'S engineering prowess . Go HONDA.

After seeing pic 15 b from the link .in case of an accident will the rider have the intuition to lift his legs up because in a relatively high speed accident in case his legs touch the ground there s a very good chance that the seat topples and goes all over the place. accidents happen in seconds and will the rider have the ability to lift his legs up in those few seconds .

Awesome

Titbits - I happen to speak to a friend of mine who's close to automotive industry. He was saying that out of all Japanese majors who're into motorcycle manufacturing, Yamaha & Honda are the only companies to invest a lot as well continuously in R&D. The C250R & this news are the samples.
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Dicored!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by harsha742 View Post
      accidents happen in seconds and will the rider have the ability to lift his legs up in those few seconds .
      I believe the seatbelts/seat ejection system is more of a supplementary safety system. The primary safety measures for a bike rider are these: Riding Gears
      https://www.facebook.com/ThaenMadurai/

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

So does it also figure out where your being ejected to? What if it ejects you right under an oncoming bus or something??
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
      What if it ejects you right under an oncoming bus or something
      Like kairalee says, that's when the riding gears protect you

PS - But don't ask me the question replacing the bus with train

Lost & searching..

Secret

The concept of safety eject seat in bikes somehw doesn't appeal to me. Ridin jackets yes but safety eject seats no. If localization does happen in the near future, God knows how many people will be flyin sky high..

Angry OLD man...!
      Diesel'd O_o

Secret

These are for high-end bikes. Mostly this will be used by reasonably skilled rider.

I really hope they come up with some device to make commuter bikers more sane. After all it was honda which started ' you meet the nicest people on a honda' now you probably get to meet the craziest people. (I'm taking 2 wheeler only)

Awesome

yzfrj - Agree with you on 2 things...
      1. Reasonably skilled riders
      2. Nicest people on Honda (hope you know the history) for others...In the 60's when US was open for Japanese manufacturers to sell their vehicles, Honda couldn't succeed for 2 reasons. One, the HD's have already made an image of bad motorcycle gangs; Two, Honda was not making the big engine as HD's were. So their ad campaigns started revolving around saying, people & families are happy. And guess what? It succeeded

Sry about the
      Quote Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
      ome device to make commuter bikers more sane
      I guess ^^^ was meant only for this country, otherwise most bikers are sane in the west. Damn!!! even Thailand, though over crowded, people still ride sane!!!
      Last edited by Aargee; 27th Mar 2011 at 08:19. Reason: Correcting yxfrj to yzfrj

Awesome

Hybrid 'Wing in the wings?

Since the news is related to Honda Goldwing, I'm posting this in a related thread rather than a new thread. Pls let me know if a new thread needs to be create & I shall oblige. Tks.

MORE patent action from Honda – this time showing a strange Goldwing-based petrol-electric hybrid concept.

Clearly derived directly from the existing Goldwing, the hybrid has a bespoke flat four-cylinder engine rather than the usual flat six, and where the front pair of cylinders used to sit there's a hefty electric motor that doubles as a generator – basically a KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System).

OK, just because Honda has patented the idea doesn't mean it's heading for production; we'd bet this never shows up in your local Honda dealer in quite this form, but something with similar technology could. The real key is the Goldwing-style engine position, with the crankshaft arranged longitudinally, since it means the bulky electric motor can be added to the end of the crank without increasing the bike's width. On a transverse-engined bike, this arrangement wouldn't work.

If it seems odd to add hybrid power to the biggest, heaviest and most expensive model in the range, just look at the current trend for battery-assisted hybrid versions of massive 4x4s – it seems even people who have money to burn don't like spending too much of it on petrol...
      Source - Hybrid 'Wing in the wings? - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

Pls visit the above URL for the pics as I'm unable to refer to the image on the website. Tks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information