• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MUV Comparison – Toyota Innova vs. Chevy Tavera vs. Mahindra Xylo vs. Tata Sumo Grande

Truck Driver

Awesome

MUV Comparison – Toyota Innova vs. Chevy Tavera vs. Mahindra Xylo vs. Tata Sumo Grande

Hi all,

The comparison between these MUVs where the details, suggestions and critics are purely based on my own driving experience in these trucks and neither I was influenced by any brand/ model nor I was in the influence of any “energy drinks” while writing. Please note that I had the opportunity of driving these trucks for at least a minimum distance of 100 Kms and not based on the test drives.
      Before I start writing the comparison between these trucks, first let’s know how the concept of MUV came into existence.

What are MUVs/ MPVs?

Multi-Utility vehicle (MUV) or Multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) is a type of vehicle which has a body that resembles a van, but which has rear side doors, rear side windows, and interior fittings to accommodate passengers similar to a station wagon. MUVs are higher than normal sedans, compacts and station wagons, and are designed for maximum interior room; minivans often feature three seat rows and can seat 7 people or more.

The very first MUV was known as the Brubaker Box. This was a custom car designed in 1972 and produced in limited numbers by Curtis Brukbaker, a designer and car enthusiast. It was built on the Volkswagen Beetle chassis and included an original fiberglass body. There was a sliding door on the passenger-side of the vehicle.

http://www.rodster.com/articles/BrubakerBox.htm

The first commercial venture by a major auto manufacture was developed by Volkswagen in about 1950 with the Volkswagen Type 2 "minibus" and variants. This vehicle provided the inspiration for the Brubaker Box, but was much larger than a true "minivan." The VW Type 2 had a rear engine and rear-wheel drive. VW currently makes a modern variant with a front engine and front-wheel drive which is very similar to the vehicles discussed below. In 1952 the Lloyd Motoren Werke, Bremen (a brand of the Borgward Group) introduced their Lloyd LT, that was, in retrospect, even closer to the minivan of nowadays.

US automakers countered with compact vans, which were coincidentally sized similarly, and based on compact cars. They had flat noses and either engines mounted between and behind the front seat such as the Dodge A100, Ford Econoline, Chevrolet Van, or similarly aircooled in the rear in the Chevrolet Corvair. These would evolve into more powerful full-sized vans based on full-sized pickup trucks. While these were marketed with limited success as family fans, such as the Plymouth Voyager, they had poor gas mileage, high floors, and inflexible bolted-to-the-floor bench seating.

The modern revision design was developed simultaneously in the late 1970s and early 1980s by Chrysler UK/Matra (launched by Renault as the Espace) and the Chrysler Corporation. Minivan is the more usual term in North American English whilst the other terms predominate elsewhere in the English speaking world. In India, however, the acronym used is MUV, in line with a similar acronym, SUV. In German, the word "Minivan" is only used for compact MPVs like the Renault Scénic

Doors

In the USA, in order for the style of minivan to circumvent the 1980s emission standards, minivans had to be classified as light trucks. Every van since the VW Bus had swinging or sliding doors only on the passenger side. The 1996 Dodge Caravan broke this tradition by introducing a sliding driver's side door, later replicated by all competitors. The Odyssey was the first with a third row that folded into the floor. The Mazda MPV introduced roll-down 2nd row windows, later adopted by Honda and Toyota. Chrysler would innovate again with the "stow and go" 2nd row seats which fold into the loading floor. Honda, Toyota & all the other popular minivan manufacturers are all starting to have power sliding doors by default in all models.

Engines

In the 1980s, four-cylinder engines were common for fuel efficiency, but often had higher rates of problems than larger engines. Before the development of 150 hp+ four-cylinder engines, such vehicles could also be sluggish as manual transmissions were rare in minivans. With the shift towards heavier long-wheelbase models, and light towing, V6 engines have become more common, or even standard. Some minivans were notorious for having problems with their transaxles, as they are substantially heavier than the sedans their powertrains were originally designed for. The Chevrolet Astro, the last surviving truck-based mid-size van originally marketed as a minvan, was popular for towing applications because of its truck-based frame and up to 4.3 L V6, with some owners installing their own V8 engines.

Current Market

MUVs in the North American market

Modern MUVs are now very similar to station wagons except they have a higher profile. Also, their hood is shorter, as they have more vertical room. Current models have two sliding doors, or normal doors if they are compact minivans. All minivans sold in North America have sliding doors, with the exception of the first-generation Mazda MPV, Honda Odyssey and Isuzu Oasis, along with the Mercedes-Benz R-Class, which is considered by many to be a minivan, though the company markets it as a sports tourer.

MUVs in the European market

The trend for compact MUVs began in Europe in the late 1990s with the launch of the Renault Scénic. Compact MUVs were usually cars with tall bodies but based on the chassis and engines of a small family car (in the case of the Scénic, the Renault Mégane). The runaway success of the Scénic saw the car spawn a multitude of similar vehicles, like the General Motors Zafira, the Citroën Xsara Picasso, the Volkswagen Touran, the Ford Focus C-Max, the SEAT Altea/Toledo and the Nissan Almera Tino. By the mid-2000s, virtually all mainstream automakers in Europe had a compact MUV in their range. Such models enjoyed some popularity in the United States in the late 1980s and early 1990s (for example, the Mitsubishi Expo (Mitsubishi Chariot in other markets) and Nissan Axxess.

MUVs in the Asian market

In the ASEAN nations and India, because of the wide geography of the region, MUVs tend to be smaller cars that can cope with uneven terrain. Among these MUVs are the Chevy Tavera, Toyota Innova, Mahindra Xylo and Sumo Grande

In the ASEAN nations and India, MUVs vary widely in configuration. Whilst some MUVs might be carbon-copys of MPVs in Europe (such as the European Ford Fusion) or even minivan-looking (like the Toyota Innova), in some cases MUVs are similar to minibuses (such as the Chevrolet Tavera and the Maruti Versa)

I will now start putting the driving experience of each of the trucks mentioned. Watch out!!
      Xylo E8 - 2010
      Nano CX - 2012

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

After weighing out the -ves and +ves I can definitely say the winner is going to be none other than the Innova,

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AGN View Post
      After weighing out the -ves and +ves I can definitely say the winner is going to be none other than the Innova,
      You don't know about sundar. He has already stated in another thread that the Innova is nothing but a glorified Santro. Even I am looking forward to the verdict.
      I don't know what's gonna happen man but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames

Truck Driver

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
      You don't know about sundar . He has already stated in another thread that the Innova is nothing but a glorified Santro. Even I am looking forward to the verdict.
      Gilead, I agree I did mention about Innova being a glorified Santro! I am going to put up all unbiased information that I experienced with these trucks and that glorified Santro matter is forgotten thing
      Xylo E8 - 2010
      Nano CX - 2012

Dicored!

Awesome

Very nice and informative opening post. This is going to be an interesting thread for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
      Innova is nothing but a glorified Santro
      sundar - ROFL...I would love to see the justification for this
      https://www.facebook.com/ThaenMadurai/

In Bhai we Trust

Hungry

Wonderful thread indeed. Waiting for the details..

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

I would have voted for the Innova if you had come up with this thread before Xylo's launch. After sitting in my office friend's xylo (E8) i was pleasantly surprised to find so many features. The leg room and comfort was on par with Innova. The Ride was better than most MUV's with lesser Body roll - But guess Innova got an edge here.

I think its better we take off the Tavera and Grande out of the equation. They no match for either the VFM factor of Xylo or the Reliability and Resale of an Innova
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sundar View Post
      Please note that I had the opportunity of driving these trucks for at least a minimum distance of 100 Kms and not based on the test drives.
      This is an important note. Many people who have not driven might start commenting based on some website info. Superb thread. Rating it 5 stars
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

I am seriously considering buying an Innova. And this thread has come at the right time!

And I have never driven the Xylo, but driven the Innova enough to understand its handling and engine capabilities, along with the mod potential. Will be eagerly waiting for opinions from folks who have driven both around.
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
      And I have never driven the Xylo
      tadukuttanYou are always welcome to drive mine. BUt not like your elantra.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information