• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do's and dont's during a car break down.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Do's and dont's during a car break down.

Hello all,
      Moderators, kindly move this thread in case if it has been started in the wrong section or if there is a thread open kindly guide me to it.

Attention is called from all who can contribute to assist by giving their suggestions on what can be done in case of a car break downs while travelling on NH / SH highways or during driving holidays .
      The intent here is to have some solutions from experienced people, and try to see if any of the solutions provided can apply to the situation that one is in and not run out of ideas. Having these tips or suggestions shared shall be of immense help.

These suggestions would Include road side assistance, help lines, fellow gear heads –but this would again pertain in which part of our country the person (s) traveling and has a break down, any other pointers which can assist here.
      · Some points which come to my mind are:
      · The 24hr help line numbers given the vehicle / car companies.
      · Carry phone numbers and address of your relatives (if any on the route that you intend to take)
      · Have a list of reputed hotels or resorts on the route.
      · Keep your relatives or friends informed on the route that you intend to take and give them your vehicle number and the 24hrs help line numbers so that at least they can assist if you are unable to reach the helpline numbers.

Any other valuable suggestions, kindly contribute. This would be handy while travelling.
      Thanks and regards,
      Siddharth Talageri

Forum Leader

Awesome

1. Most of the minor breakdowns result from fuse failures. Learn where the fuse box is and know how to change it. I also carry spare fuses.

2. Always be watchful for any signs of impending failure - metallic noises, squeaks, leaks, etc. This will ensure that you prevent any failures en route.

3. Have the telephone numbers of a good service advisor/ mechanic (the guy who knows how to diagnose and solve problems) to diagnose remotely the problem and solution.

4. Learn how to diagnose problems yourself, most problems can be fixed with some common sense.

5. Dirty your hands.

6. Do not rely on roadside mechanics, they may be incompetent and most importantly, do not know how to fix your car. Moreover, they may be out to just make a quick buck.

7. Check the car en route opening the hood, tyres and the underbody.

8. Even if your car brand does not have a dealership/ service centre nearby, go to any branded car dealership, they will help a guy on the highway always, and you are assured of competent mechanics and proper tools.
      H V Kumar

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

1. Always ensure you learn how to do the minor repairs on your car by yourself. Or atleast try and understand what happens when certain things on your vehicle fail.

2. Remember most modern cars rely on a lot of electronics and most local mechanics will not have a clue on what could be wrong, specially if it is not a mechanical break down.

3. Always carry a tool kit that will have a screwdriver (flat and star), a few spanners (size 10 in particular), cutting plier, ratchet kit, multimeter, jump start cables, insulation tape, torch and a map book. They always come in handy.

4. In case your vehicle breaks down, kindly push it to the side of the road, preferably away from being too close to a turning. Do not leave the car on the road and place stones around it like most truckers do.

5. If possible, use the triangle and place it around 20 feet away from your vehicle to warn other drivers and turn on your hazard lights, specially at night.

6. If the problem is in the engine bay, you may want to wait for a while so that the engine bay cools down. Last thing you want to do is burn your hands.

7. Always try getting in and out of the car using the left door, you do not want to open your right side doors and surprise vehicles coming behind you. Or walk onto the road with vehicles zipping past.

8. Also try and recollect the towns/cities you passed or what towns/cities are ahead of you and by how much. You may not find milestones where you breakdown and you won't know how to explain to the towing service whereabouts of your exact location.

9. Usually the better thing to do would be to call the nearest ASS so that your warranty stays intact.

Most of the other stuff has already been explained by Kumar.

Super Moderator

Awesome

Carry a BSNL prepaid number so that you CAN call from the middle of nowhere
      Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
      Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
      Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

<invisible>

Awesome

Also see to that you do not leave the key in the ignition or anywhere else inside and close all the doors, windows rolled up in such a way that you get your car locked and you are outside but no key !
      Some security systems do autolock after certain time delay.

Awesome

if your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, hide your valuables like laptops, dslrs, jewelry away from eyes of any passerby. preferably put them in a bag and place it in the boot. you'd havee more confidence to flag down someone to ask for help that way. why take the risk?

Awesome

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hrag View Post
      Carry a BSNL prepaid number so that you CAN call from the middle of nowhere
      YES ! Please carry one - when I got stranded at 2 am on the hubli-ankola road, the BSNL SIM was my lifeline - and thats what got me help !

Another suggestion - IF you have a car with an EFI engine swap (like say you went from carb-zen to mpfi e-zen) please carry a spare stock ECU especially if you've sourced your ECU from the junkyard.

In a car in which you have only an aftermarket ECU, please carry a spare stock ECU which will get you on your way in case the aftermarket ECU decides to conk off!
      Last edited by techn0l0gist; 12th Apr 2011 at 07:01.

Forum Leader

Awesome

Does the 1800 number work in a mobile? Earlier, it never used to, so I always used to keep the alternative regular helpline number also.

MX6, cars like Scorpio have no closed boot, what suggestions do you have to hide laptops, desktops and broomtops?
      H V Kumar

Awesome

tie it all up in a piece of cloth and dig a pit and. bury it. then mark that place in your gps as a favourite. don't blame me if this happens in karnataka and illegal miners start digging that very place.
      all i meant to say was people sometimes in panic don't realise that their valuables are in full display. in your case, you may keep them below the seat. if you want to walk a bit upon seeing a nearby light, ensure that no valuables are left visible in the car or on the person.
      and carry a torch. some potholes are big enough to swallow you.

Awesome

One important thing that I learnt in a recent breakdown - How to reset the ECU of your car. There are certain ways to do this. I know how to do it for my car. Methods might slightly vary with others. Resetting ECU will most probably set many of issues right - like lights issues, ignition issues, power locks and windows issues, etc.

Another things to do in case of a sudden breakdown is to disconnect (remove off) or power down all accessories like ICE or any additional equipment. It's better to keep the load lite on the battery.

Other things mentioned are very useful and important. Getting to know how to troubleshoot most common problems is the key. Sometimes it might just be as simple as letting the engine cool down for 15mins and then cranking it and using the second gear instead of first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information