• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Peculiar Problem - 2000 Zen MPFi

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Peculiar Problem - 2000 Zen MPFi

I faced this problem during the winters that had gone by. It happened for the first time then, after which it didn't happen until the day before yesterday.

The problem is, when I crank up the car in the morning for the first time, almost always the idling of the engine would be high due to it being the first (cold) start of the morning, and after a while the idling would reduce to normal levels and everything would be smooth and fine.

Now, the abnormal part, the day before yesterday, I started the engine for the first time at around late afternoon, there were two problems that caught my attention-

1. While twisting the key to Start the engine, for the first three tries, nothing happened, no cranking sound just a muted whine from somewhere near the fuel tank. However, after two-three tries the car eventually started. Now, this non-cranking issue has been happening for quite sometime and I didn't pay much attention to it.
      After a successful start, this non-cranking issue does not crop up again atleast for a few days.

2. When the car started, the car was shudddering, shaking, jerking and what not?!?!
      I felt scared for a moment but knowing that it has happened before, I continued with my journey. Everything was normal during the drive and after. The drive was smooth with no noticeable loss in power or any abnormality. Since that day, this problem has not occurred again. What to do?

Also, the same incident occurred somewhere during the winters that have gone by, however, I cannot recollect whether or not the non-cranking issue was present that time.
      Last edited by Beasta1.6S; 24th Apr 2011 at 23:10.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Car not cranking could be either a starter motor problem or a busted crank position sensor.

Shuddering, shaking and jerking can only mean one thing. Engine is not in good shape, check the compression readings for each of the cylinders and let us know, only then will anyone be able to suggest what to do.

Awesome

Sorry, I beg to differ.

This jerking happens only for the first minute or so during a cold start and that also, one out of, say, thirty cold starts. Couldn't it be a sensor acting up?
      As a matter of fact, I can say that the Autochoke works most of the time but sometimes, it does not, this is what it feels like.
      For the starter not cranking, I feel the starter solenoid needs cleaning.
      Last edited by Beasta1.6S; 24th Apr 2011 at 23:52.

Awesome

Sorry for updating late, but, the probem was solved by cleaning the butterfly valve.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Beasta1.6S View Post
      , the probem was solved by cleaning the butterfly valve.
      I'm sorry, but how can the starting problem be solved by cleaning the throttle body? Or was the starting problem atteded?

Awesome

Mustang
      No, the low idling during cold start in my MPFi was solved by cleaning the throttle body+butterfly valve.

Here is how the starting problem was solved--

http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?4...l=1#post119151

Thread Information