• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: 8400GS GC issue

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Unhappy 8400GS GC issue

Hi, I have a 8400GS, was working fine. When I switched on today the display goes to VGA mode from the native 1366x768. The drivers are still installed but its showing as "(?) video controller (VGA compatible)". I've removed the old driver and tried to install the latest driver but its not recognizing the GC.
      What is wrong here?

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

try using older drivers, but kindly give the full picture : The O/s Running.. The temps of the card.... Drivers version installed... Variant of OS x86 or x64... Laptop version or Desktop...

for current fix, I would say remove the card if its a desktop version, clean the card with compressed air, wipe the connector pins with alcohol and tissue, refix it will work..

For a laptop version there is nothing much you can do..But most 8 series card stop working after sometime because of the solder they used back then, I have a 8800GT, 8800GTS -320, 8800ultra, all quit working after sometime, But baking always brought them back to life...

The signs of failure were :
      VGA resolutions first, Card not being detected , random colored lines across screen, system failed to boot, fan spinning loud.

now baking the card usually fixed these issues..But for a laptop If you really want to find out, just grab two pillows, turn on your laptop and place it between them, let it heat like hell, you will find that it starts to work back again..

Things I've fixed via baking : A dell laptop (same prob) , a XBOX 360 , all my cards , my set top box, a LCD tv..
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

Awesome

Old driver & new driver, both dont recognize the GC at all and would refuse to install

OS 32bit XP + 64 w7 + 32 RHL.
      Desktop version.
      Usual temps were 35~55, now not detecting the sensor chip. It dont have a fan, just a big black heatsink.
      Driver version - default 190.45, tried with latest 2xxx.xx.
      A while ago 2 times the system shutdown immediately after post, and on restarting it showed "oveclock failed" error. I never oc'd my puny celron or the mb
      Another problem I'd faced with drivers, where installing the latest driver somehow stopped the AA from working. Even after downgrading to old driver gave the same issue. But after a os reistall + old driver, it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Sachdev View Post
      Things I've fixed via baking : A dell laptop (same prob) , a XBOX 360 , all my cards , my set top box, a LCD tv.
      Yea I have baked a few lappys, MBs and rams to life, but this being in warranty period didn't wanna touch it.

I thinks its time to get it replaced under warranty, but the rptech guys always reject as long as it shows display
      Last edited by agn; 1st May 2011 at 15:21.

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

Rptech do this to keep away lay users, who don't know how to even install a driver and bring back saying this is the fault, but they will replace it once you explain the fault to them..
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

Awesome

Phew, some subtle baking and cleaning and some arctic silver, it comes back to life , installed new 266.58 driver and AA seems to be fine as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh Sachdev View Post
      Rptech do this to keep away lay users,
      The ones in my city are notorious for rejecting stuff no matter what complaint you make Had an issue where a MB was turning off after 5 minutes of switching on and they just ran it for a minute or so and said no problemo, rejected!!
      Last edited by agn; 1st May 2011 at 22:52.

Thread Information