• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review of H4/9003/HB2 HID 6000K 35 watt Genuine Philips Bulb and Ballast compared to Hella 130/90 watt

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Review of H4/9003/HB2 HID 6000K 35 watt Genuine Philips Bulb and Ballast compared to Hella 130/90 watt

Once in a while I do splurge on my car and today was the day I decided to do a meaningful upgrade. Bought myself the above HID kit mentioned in the title. Did not have the Cruze to test on as its gone for its 20000 km service.
      Was too impatient to wait for the Cruze and hence experimented with the Junkindica which already had the 130/90 watt Hella blue top clear Halogen bulbs.

Connected them and switched them both on. Waited for 3 minutes to obviate the possibility of lack of warming up of the HID.

Subjective assessment
      1)Far less glare in the HID compared to the Hella contrary to expectation.
      2)Extremely sharp cut off in the HID especially in low beam.
      3)High beam in the HID is a slightly less intense than the Hella.
      4)The clear plastic lens/cover of the headlight assembly is far far cooler on the HID side.
      5)Very minimal light output from the bottom half of the lens assembly on the HID side and all the light output was from the top half of the lens even on high beam.

With the HID's tail between its leg I removed the HID system and was assessing as to why it did not live up to its promise of 3 times the lumen output of a 65 watt halogen bulb. It was only equal to the light output of the Hella. To tell you the truth I was disappointed. Took of the bulb and had a hard look at the bulb construction. Its then that it struck me that half the light output was obscured by a wafer thin black plastic shroud at the bottom half of the bulb.
      Removed it using a jewelers screw driver.

Put back the assembly and viola. Its only now that the bulb showed its potential. Glare was same as the Hella without the heat and it was slightly brighter than the Hella 130/90. Pure white light with a little tinge of blue. I could not get hold of 4300 Kelvin bulbs which are brighter, even though of the same watts due to sensitivity of the Rods and Cones in our retina. I was satisfied now.

On the next free day I am going to modify the metal shroud that comes with the HID bulb and see if that makes a difference.

Finally advice to all of you contemplating an HID replacement.
      Don't do it till you can get hold of the 75 watt Industrial kits. Google for 70/75 watt HID kit. The 35 and 55 watt kits are not that much brighter than ordinary 130 watt Halogen bulbs what ever the brochure might claim and are definitely not worth the money you spend on them. 70/75 watt kits are only slightly more expensive and way more brighter.

http://www.dxhid.com/70wattxenon.htm

http://www.xevision.com/hid_options.html

The above two are the only ones I can suggest and note that both are to be only used with Hella 4000 series reflectors.
      Last edited by drpullockaran; 10th May 2011 at 23:28.

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

drpullockaran - tell us about the cost and some pics would help.....Did you try to click any picture of the light throw, coverage??
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Awesome

I got it 480 rupees less than what the dealer gets it for because the C&F guys daughter was my patient years ago and they were happy with the treatment. Its too low to mention here and lets say its less than Rs 8000 with bill and warranty. Will take pictures of the installation and working when I fix it to my Cruze which should be in a day or two.

The below units are what I suggest all should buy for off road use or else stick with normal halogens. These are the ones that are used in train locomotives, aircrafts and ships.
      http://www.dxhid.com/75woffroadserieshid.htm
      Last edited by drpullockaran; 11th May 2011 at 00:12.

Awesome

For those who are willing for information overload on anything concerned with lights and lamps have a peek into this website.
      http://members.misty.com/don/

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
      Connected them and switched them both on. Waited for 3 minutes to obviate the possibility of lack of warming up of the HID.

Subjective assessment
      1)Far less glare in the HID compared to the Hella contrary to expectation.
      2)Extremely sharp cut off in the HID especially in low beam.
      3)High beam in the HID is a slightly less intense than the Hella.
      4)The clear plastic lens/cover of the headlight assembly is far far cooler on the HID side.
      5)Very minimal light output from the bottom half of the lens assembly on the HID side and all the light output was from the top half of the lens even on high beam.
      I too tried the Philips H4 Hi-Lo kit once, but the 4300k unit i sourced from abroad. My findings are the same as yours as you've posted above. The low beam was brilliant, but i found the high beam a bit weak in focused throw at longer distances.

I removed the black thingy that you said you removed, but in my case it didn't make much of a difference. Probably due to the reflector design in my car. I tried the other shield too, without the end cap, even that failed to give me the desired high beam performance so i'm back on halogen, Philips 90/100.

Btw i was using Hella 90/130 once in my AStar, still use it in the i10, but between the Hella 90/130 and Philips Rally 90/100 i found the colour temp and beam pattern better with the Philips. Light output was also closely matched with the higher wattage Hella, so happy with Philips now.

The light output of an H4130W bulb is around 3200 lumens, so 35W HID does not yield a significant gain over 130W halogen H4.

Awesome

Extremely sorry every single attachment is not in the intended order. Let me delete and try again.

Awesome

Cruze HID is built for HID. Period.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Cruze headlight has not been designed for ordinary bulbs but specifically for HID. The pictures will help you decide that there is far less glare and scattered light from the HID system than with ordinary Philips Xtreme power bulbs.
      I took three and half hours to complete the job out which 2 hours were used just finding a suitable place for the ballast. Finally got it in the only place possible in the CRUZE. I am yearning for a 35 watt 5000 kelvin bulbs. 6000 kelvin is a bit over the top. Had a night drive with it. Its like laser beams through the night. I am blown over. Anyone with a Cruze should get the Philips HID kit. The kit fits like a snug glove. The whole thing will be complete once I get Pencil beams in place of the FOG lights which I do not have presently. The blue thing in some of the photos is sunlight induced artifact.
      The photos were taken in Manual mode so that camera influence is not there in the outcome. Last two photos were taken at higher speeds to get the exposure right.
      I have taken two photos of each shot. One from the right outside rear view mirror and the next from the left mirror.
      The front shots are me standing and then sitting on the floor.
      Enjoy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0150.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	43308

Name:	DSC_0151.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	43309

Name:	DSC_0152.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	43310

Name:	DSC_0153.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	43311

Name:	DSC_0154.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	167.9 KB 
ID:	43312

Name:	DSC_0155.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	43313

Name:	DSC_0156.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	43314

Name:	DSC_0157.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	43315

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	43316

Name:	DSC_0159.jpg 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	43317

Name:	DSC_0160.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	43318

Name:	DSC_0161.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	43319

Name:	DSC_0162.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	43320

Name:	DSC_0163.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	43321

Name:	DSC_0164.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	43322

Name:	DSC_0165.jpg 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	43323

Name:	DSC_0166.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	43324

Name:	DSC_0167.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	43325

Name:	DSC_0168.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	43326

Name:	DSC_0169.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	198.2 KB 
ID:	43327

Name:	DSC_0170.jpg 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	43328

Name:	DSC_0171.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	43329

Name:	DSC_0172.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	43330

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

drpullockaran - Do we need to remove the bumper to fix the HID??
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
      drpullockaran - Do we need to remove the bumper to fix the HID??
      Yes I spent close to 2 hours trying to figure out a way to fix it without removing the bumper. The present position for the ballast is the only place where they are safe. You have to remove the bumper to put it were I have rested the ballast.

<invisible>

Awesome

Hello drpullockaran, that is a nice DIY fit. You removed the bumper yourself and fit it back? It is some serious work there !
      Thanks for sharing WIP pictures.
      Interesting to know that beam pattern has less glare with HID than stock halogen.

(PS: 1. You have got a dozen of tyres stacked up there! 2. I get a feeling that the horn you got on the car is not justified for a cruze. It needs a nice windtone horn )
      Last edited by shyamhegde; 14th May 2011 at 09:48. Reason: I had missed few English classes I guess...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information