• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR - Test Drive Report

buuurrrpppp....!!!

Awesome

Question Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR - Test Drive Report

Alrighty guys, it's a boring friday afternoon at office and i have another 3 hours to go before shifting gears and leaving for the regular meet up with my friends at Java city, Lavelle road. Was wondering what else i could do in these 3 hours apart from - "Killing" myself, thinking about where am headed in life (no destination only direction), wondering whos the best chic in office and who she's hangin out with et cetera... et cetera

And then Why not write about the crush i've had/have/will have on this majestic beast called the "Tata Safari"

There was a lot of buzz around this super cool bike - HeroHonda CBZ(motorcycling unplugged) which was supposed to hit the streets around about the same time as the 99 world cup. Impressed with what this bike was supposed to offer,i headed to a book store and picked up a magazine from Business Standard Motoring which had published a TD report of the bike. Incidentally, the same magazine also had a TD report for the 1.9 liter, 90bhp Turbo-charged Intercooler Tata Safari. Started flipping the pages and BANG, got struck by the safari TD page. Suddenly, the bike was no longer important to me!!
      The drooling lasted a couple of months while i mustered up the courage to go and approach my dad and ask him to buy the safari Dad was looking for a small car back then(either Santro or Matiz) and he promptly turned down my offer, asked me to shooo away

That was it, i knew "I" had to do whatever it takes to own this beast. Years passed, in the meanwhile Tata refined the safari and came up with multiple versions like the 3.0 liter in 2005 and 2.2 VTT in 2007. The design though, hasn't change much, 70% of the exterior remains the same! The interiors have undergone major makeovers by incorporating improved quality plastic materials and getting rid of the 90s style AC vents/dials and replacing them with more modern versions, just to name a few.

11 years later - One fine day in April 09, i call up Concorde Motors in Bangalore and fix up a TD over the weekend. As agreed upon, that weekend the TD vehicle arrives at my home at 10 a.m sharp.
      2.2_Test_Drive.jpg

It was an EX model 2 wheel drive version of the 2.2 VTT Dicor safari run about 18,000 kms till the day of my TD.

First impression - MASSIVE
      Got onto the pilot seat and next thing that struck me was the view! You will certainly be able to look down upon those small car/sedan drivers (don't shout at me for this please ) and man, there was acres of leg space, seating was comfortable with 3 stage lumbar support adjustment + height adjustment and the simple hand-rest was a brilliant inclusion that i liked too.

Couldn't wait to fire her up and head to highway. I cranked the engine and vehicle comes to life. It was pretty silent inside the cabin with the windows closed. Though not comparable to petrol engines or close to likes of new gen diesels, this is something that didn't bother me much at all. After all, i hate vehicles which are so ultra refined and smooth that i can't make out if the engine is running on off!

1st gear - Reminds me of Maruti 800 Especially after shifting from smaller cars like accent viva & santro. Even though the gear shift was smooth, the lever play and travel were a tad bit on the higher side. But, that was ok too

We're rolling - The vehicle surged ahead, it was a bit scary in the beginning as i was trying to familiarize myself with dials and trying to get a sense of the boundaries of this vehicle but, 5 mins into the drive, things started easing out. The engine was smooth and responsive and the power delivery was pretty liner. Much better than the 3.0 DICOR that i'd drive a year ago.

Torque Testing - We reached NICE road and this is where i planned to do all the testing. Brought the vehicle to a complete stop. Switched to 1st gear & started rolling - didn't push her much as i switched over to 2nd at 20 kmph and at this point i completely let go of the throttle, the vehicle surges ahead automatically without hesitation. Then, pushed the throttle slowly and the vehicle pulls ahead without any jerk or hesitation. For me, this was GOOD stuff. I repeated the same test at 40 kmph in 3rd gear. Same performance!
      The vehicle had impressed me much with it's composure. As i was gonna use it in city atleast 50% of the time, i wanted to check it's slow speed handling characteristics and the safari didn't let me down

Need for Speed - As if the open ended expressway wasn't enough, the 200 kmph dial was tempting me to let her rip! Started accelerating linearly and in each gear i could hear the turbo whistle (something like ksssssssssssss....) starting at a particular rpm band and then dropping off as the vehicle surges ahead. Very soon, the vehicle reached 120 kmph and then i slammed on the overdrive and floored the throttle to reach a max of 160 kmph! May be the vehicle was capable of reaching even higher speeds but this was not what i wanted to achieve or test I wasn't trying to compile a list of 0 to 60 or 0 to 100 timing either
      The most important point for me was to see how the vehicle behaved at high speeds especially curves. The vehicle obviously has body roll, given it's high stance and ground clearance. But, it doesn't give you a feeling as if it would topple over! The vehicle sticks to the road even at high speeds and doesn't sway due to wind resistance either.

Reached Kanakapura road via NICE and decided to head back home after 30 minutes of driving. As usual the road had reached peak traffic and this presented me my first real opportunity to see how it feels to drive the safari in daily commuter traffic As it turned out, I could drive the safari just like any other car i had driven around, EXCEPT the two wheeler guys sticking at the back were no where to be seen in the rear view mirror The rear spare wheel limits your visibility. But... that was OK for me too!

Came back home, handed over the vehicle to the SA and promised him i'll be coming over the showroom very soon to book my beast!! 8-)

So, what's my verdict?
      Almost all the folks i've met so far who own Safaris have bought the vehicle based purely on their passion for the vehicle. Inspite of the niggles and issues that are associated with TATA vehicles, nothing stops them from reclaiming their life! Am one of them
      I don't go by reviews, I go by what my heart and mind says.
      The safari is one amazing vehicle with which you can command respect on the road and at the price tag at which it is offered, it's great value for money. There's dismal competition at this price level in the SUV market. Priced at 9.07 lac (approx. ORP in Bangalore as of day of my TD), there was no other vehicle i even wanted to consider
      This may seem like a biased report. But, am in love with the vehicle. Other safari owners can testify this for you 8-)

ufff... turned out into a big post indeed and it took me whole 2.5 hours to pen down! Am gonna hit the road now... check out the Initial ownership report section soon for more...

2013 KTM Duke 200
      2014 Kawasaki Z1000 (Sugomi)
      2009 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor LX
      2010 Hyundai i20 Crdi

Super Moderator
      not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Hey, nicely written The Safari does 'claim' you in more ways than one
      Feb 1997 Bajaj KB125 RTZ 49K km
      Mar 2003 Tata Indica V2 LSi 130K km
      Jan 2007 Tata Safari 3.0 DiCOR EX 4x4 148K km

Awesome

Nice review slingshooter, I like your writing style . Most safari owners are quite passionate of their ownership.

I saw the prerana motors website http://www.preranamotors.com/dicor_vtt_price.htm and it says 10.2 lacs OTR for the EX. Any massive discounts ?
      ~ 2009 Punto E Pk Multijet

buuurrrpppp....!!!

Awesome

@hrag : Thanks buddy. Just last night the front left indicator bulb went kapput

@sdp1975 : Looks like they have reduced the prices! If you push them a little further, you may get another 10k ~ 20k discount on these OTR prices. If there's one suggestion i can give, that would be -
      don't even TRY to bargain with these guys on accessories
      they will offer cheap stuff and talk as if they are doing a big favor! Instead try and get a better deal on the OTR. When i bought my beast in may, there was this 20-20 offer where they were giving away a 25k discount on all safaris. The vehicle OTR for my LX was - 8.82 lac.

Let them call it 20-20 or 50-50 ;-) there's will probably be some discount on the OTR. Just try and bargain for that.

2013 KTM Duke 200
      2014 Kawasaki Z1000 (Sugomi)
      2009 Tata Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor LX
      2010 Hyundai i20 Crdi

Awesome

excellent, very well written report. did you start your ownership review thread ? If so could you post the URL here ?
      2005 BAJAJ PULSAR DTSi 150 ES
      2006 BAJAJ DISCOVER DTSi 125 ES
      2010 JAN' MARUTI SUZUKI SWIFT LDi

Thread Information