• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet - which one?

Now aware!

Awesome

Tablet - which one?

Guys,

Looking at getting hold of a tablet and need a review / opinion from those in the knowledge.

A little homework that I did and there are few over rated and some under rated one. There are also few 'also ran' ones! Some of the contenders are below.

The price is, at the max, Dhs 3,000/- (translating to Rs 36,000/- at current exchange rate) - Ipad 2 & Motorola Xoom. Most good ones start from Dhs 1,800/-.

Few that are on the radar:

1. Ipad2: Obviously! Only draw back being that I get to become a zombie of Steve, which is not exactly what I want to be. Might go with it, if there was no other choice. (but, it still is a very fine product!)

Benefit are, definitely, the snob value. Has just 512MB RAM; camera's that seems to be an after thought; you need to get Apple specific connection cable; needs an adapter for HDMI (extra pay); no expandable storage; all possible network bands (GSM & UMTS); A-GPS.

2. Motorola Xoom: Same price as Ipad2; slightly larger screen size that Ipad2 (9.7 inch vs 10.1); runs Honeycomb; 1 GB RAM; microSD expandable storage; 2MP & 5MP front and back camera; miniHDMI port; micro USB port; supports quad band GSM; 3G; camera flash; GPS & A-GPS;

3. Samsung Galaxy Tab: around Dhs 2,000/-; same OS and processor as Xoom; 1GB RAM; 2MP in front and 8MP rear camera; if you need 3G support, price shoots up close to same as Xoom; samsung propriety port. Got bad reviews in CNet.

4. Acer Iconia 501 Tab: same price as Samsung; 1GB RAM; ; all possible network bands (GSM & UMTS); 3G; camera flash; no GPS; no flight mode;

Reviews and suggestions, please.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

My friend recently bought an Ipad2(64GB 3G WIFI, BLACK) obviously i checked it out thoroughly. Its looks beautiful n awesome. very sleek n thin. definately an eye catcher. loved the Apple OS. obviously i will cause i am already using a Macbook pro. Audio quality a bit let down. If you are a Music lover then you wouldnt be too happy with the Audio quality of the speaker. rest everything is just Damn good.
      Avoid Acer. Also do check out the Blackberry playbook(though a 7")
      Motorola Xoom wouldnt be a bad idea either.
      Heard from Many that Galaxy tab aint that good.

@ Thiruvananthapuram
      Remapped

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by polo_rider View Post
      Also do check out the Blackberry playbook(though a 7")
      Heard they scrapped the project.

In my opinion Xoom is the best option here - for all h/w and s/w. But if you wait a little more you will get this - Windows 8 Tablet
      Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly ...
      Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost (4000km, Golden, #Code6 #EvilSport tuned)
      Verna SX CRDI ABS (Sold)

Now aware!

Awesome

Xoom is indeed on top, as of now. But taking into consideration what I lose and the cost, Acer is also VFM.

Compare phones: Motorola XOOM, Acer ICONIA TAB A501, Apple iPad 2 - Phone Arena

Acer meets the requirement, except for GPS, which I can live without. But then, need to check if Acer A500 & A501 are under the same price or not. If is even get anywhere near Xoom, then out it goes.

Also came across some local make called National Electric - just Dhs 500/-! No specifications given though.

EDIT:
      Silver Rocket: No plans of waiting; if buying, it will happen in under two weeks.

@ Thiruvananthapuram
      Remapped

Awesome

don't go for cheaper versions in such gadgets ! We (my company is an RnD wing and mostly in Robotics) bought 2 NotionInk Adam tablets expecting a lot.. but hav to say, It sucks.
      Go for Xoom or iPad depending on your need of apps, snob value, system level access and power consumption
      Verna SX CRDI ABS (Sold)

Now aware!

Awesome

^^ Absolutely true! You get what you pay for, which is why the budget is kept at Ipad2 level.

My requirements are mainly for browsing, watching movies, songs and reading. In the comparison sheet which I had given, Xoom is the only one which has a graphic card accelerator. Now, do you think this might give it a better edge over the rest in terms of rendering?

@ Thiruvananthapuram
      Remapped

Awesome

sure. Dual Core 1 Ghz CPU NVIDIA Tegra 2, 10 hr video playback battery life, 32 GB inbuilt memory with microSD Card slot, 10.1” 1280×800 resolution, Audio support for AAC, AAC+, AMR NB, AMR WB, MP3, XMF.
      And what not there in HoneyComb ?

Njoy the Droid World
      Verna SX CRDI ABS (Sold)

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
      which has a graphic card accelerator
      A colleague has Xoom. He brought it once to office and I had a chance to play with it. It seemed a bit sluggish doing all the scaling and zooming in google maps. Another thing I noticed is the touch handling did not have the sophistication of an apple device. Let me ask my colleague about his impression of the device. He too was considering both iPad and Xoom and finally went for Xoom
      Last edited by winter; 7th Jul 2011 at 15:09.
      I have never lied to you, I have always told you some version of the truth.

Hunting for a big bike :)

Awesome

what about HTC Flyer?

Now aware!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Rocket View Post
      sure. Dual Core 1 Ghz CPU NVIDIA Tegra 2, 10 hr video playback battery life, 32 GB inbuilt memory with microSD Card slot, 10.1” 1280×800 resolution, Audio support for AAC, AAC+, AMR NB, AMR WB, MP3, XMF.
      And what not there in HoneyComb ?

Njoy the Droid World
      It does tick all the right boxes, doesn't it.

Thanks, Silver!

Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
      A colleague has Xoom. He brought it once to office and I had a chance to play with it. It seemed a bit sluggish doing all the scaling and zooming in google maps. Another thing I noticed is the touch handling did not have the sophistication of an apple device. Let me ask my colleague about his impression of the device. He too was considering both iPad and Xoom and finally went for Xoom
      The touch screen friendliness and sophistication of an Apple device is, as per me, is much better than its nearest competition. Using a HTC HD for close to 3 years now and I know how different it feels from an IPhone.

Would appreciate sharing your colleagues thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by griffith View Post
      what about HTC Flyer?
      Neat. 1.5GHz processor (seems to be only tablet with this processor speed), single core, 7 inch screen, mmm... does not seems to have HD recording as the others, also does not support GSM network, 4 hours playback, only A-GPS, and the rest similar to Xoom. This guy cost the same as Ipad2, Dhs 2,999/- .

So, here is the deal: finalist are Xoom, Flyer and IPad2 (with IPad 2 along being just 32GB WiFi and without 3G). All are at Dhs 3,000/-. And of this, I am fancying Xoom, even though I would have loved Flyer for its 1.5GHz processor, but bad battery backup messed it.

Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information