• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is General Motors India sleeping?

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

Is General Motors India sleeping?

Now, I don't mean it literally. They have launched two good cars not so long ago, but in the two hottest segments of the current times - they seem to be happy to take the last seat (or maybe no seat).

I am of course referring to the superminis (read Figo, Polo, i20, Liva) and the midsize (read Vento, Verna, City, Fiesta etc. etc.). You'll have to strain your memory to remember that they have a vehicle in both these segments - UVA & Aveo. But they are so dated now that hardly anyone seems to buy them.

Why is GM India not planning a complete makeover to both these cars? Or are they?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Chevy started well with Tavera, Optra and Magna. The Tavera was a good MUV (not really) and the sedans were good and high up within their segments. Then suddenly the Aveo and UVA came and the entire Chevy bandwagon disappeared into thin dust. What happened? Suddenly after many years they launched the beat with much bang, but it disappeared into the thin too.

Any inside news on them? Are they having problems similar to Fiat? I mean not able to support their cars after selling them or is it something else? Beat diesel might be a good bet, but since beat is a failed model (in our market), will the beat diesel do any wonders?

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
      will the beat diesel do any wonders
      Atleast for the hatchback buyers this is a boon, since it is a diesel engine and they have to pay less for the fuel i.e 46.xx rather than 71.xx IMO
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Guru - Chevy is on the right track and they have some good products in pipe line for India, Beat Diesel is one such model and they are planning to plonk that engine in Spark and U-VA. They are also planning to launch another MUV which is under testing now. Adding to this there is a new about launching new Sail in India which is here

Also refreshed Captiva is also on the cards which would be launched during festival season.

Here is an article about Spark Diesel.

GM India planning to have more diesel cars in its portfolio

The rising fuel prices and the difference in prices between petrol and diesel has been pushing more customers to opt for the diesel vehicles and now it has been reported that the General Motors India is looking to enhance its range of diesel-driven cars as demand for the variant increases.
      According to reports, GM India is now all set to launch the diesel variant of its compact car Beat this month, is keeping its options open to introduce similar variants of other models as well. The reports quoted General Motors India President and Managing Director Karl Slym as saying "There is always a possibility of extending the diesel option to what customers demand."

It was also mentioned that when asked if the company is also considering the introduction of a diesel option for premium hatchback Aveo UVA and entry level sedan Aveo, he said: "There is always an interest in putting diesel in other segments." At present, the Aveo UVA is available only in a petrol variant, while the Aveo sedan comes in petrol and CNG.

The reports stated that he mentioned customer demand for diesel cars is increasing as the price difference between petrol and diesel fuel which currently stands at Rs 26 per litre widens. "We cannot control what the government does to petrol prices. Therefore, we are geared up to meet the demands of the customer," Slym said.

It was reported that GM already has the capacity to cater to demand for diesel vehicles, as its engine plant at Talegaon, with an annual capacity of 1.6 lakh units, is capable of meeting the enhanced requirement. "The plant can build engines up to 1.5-litre capacity and it is fully flexible for both petrol and diesel. So capacity is not a constraint for us," he said.

The reports stated that the company's latest Beat Diesel model will be powered by a one-litre, three-cylinder engine produced at the plant. "The technology is from GM Europe, but it has been adapted to suit the Indian conditions specifically. It will be only in India that the Beat is available in a diesel option, nowhere else," Slym said, according to reports.

They are slow but not sleeping for sure.
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
      Beat Diesel is one such model and they are planning to plonk that engine in Spark and U-VA
      wont the beat 3 pot diesel motor be under powered for the U-VA . they can still plonk in the 1.3 mutijet as they co - developed that with Fiat .

One of the reasons the U-Va dint do well was because it was competing with the hugely popular Swift and the luke warm hit Getz when it was launched . IMHO the car looked a little bland and the only striking USP of the car was its space inside .

The Beat diesel looks very promising but here pricing would play a very important role if they price it close to the Figo and the Swift diesel it has a tough job at hand but if they price the beat diesel lower than these cars then it has a very good chance of getting some good numbers .

Hope the Sail does the trick for them.

What next?

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by harsha742 View Post
      wont the beat 3 pot diesel motor be under powered for the U-VA . they can still plonk in the 1.3 mutijet as they co - developed that with Fiat .
      It may be under powered, like the Corolla Altis Diesel, but will sell because of the FE and Diesel economy. GM will have to pay royalty for the 1.3 Multijet and the 3 Cyl is free from that.

Quote Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
      They are slow but not sleeping for sure.
      True, guess who is sleeping! HM, despite having a good product portfolio with their partners (Mitsubishi), they are not capitalising on that. Even Honda seems to have woken up to the reality finally.

beat is a failed model (in our market), will the beat diesel do any wonders?
      Not really... while it does not set the sales charts on fire like the Swift or the Figo, Beat does sell in decent numbers. Diesel option will make it better and it could become the lowest priced diesel car in India.

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
      GM will have to pay royalty for the 1.3 Multijet
      I guess they don't need to pay any royalty for 1.3 as it was jointly developed.

HM, despite having a good product portfolio with their partners (Mitsubishi), they are not capitalising on that
      Finally they are planning to launch Diesel Outlander,it was reported that few models are doing ARAI testing.
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

I agree they are not sleeping.

Chevrolet unveils the new Aveo (Sonic) sedan: official pics and details

Likely to make it to India in 2012.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
      Chevrolet unveils the new Aveo (Sonic) sedan: official pics and details
      Likely to make it to India in 2012.
      That's a nice looking car. Seems the guy was using pirated version of MS Word, all his letters appear to be center-aligned.
      Well, apart from the Aveo thing, the interesting point is 'New Accent'. Hyundai seems to be doing things right in India. A new sedan (entry level targetted at Etios, DZire, etc) would be icing on the cake.

Not really... while it does not set the sales charts on fire like the Swift or the Figo, Beat does sell in decent numbers. Diesel option will make it better and it could become the lowest priced diesel car in India.
      OK, let's not say it's a failure. But they why do you need to come out with some weird exteriors. Your comment answers the question too - Swift and Figo and all other cars which are success, are standard looking vehicles - no hiff-haff, riff-raff and no out of the world design. Just plain things that work. So the formula is simple. Make a decent looking car with good FE and you've got a winner. Alto, Swift, i10, i20, Figo are such examples.

On the other hand, A-Star, Beat, Ritz are pecular designs which not all people may like. Personally I don't like any of them just from an exterior looks perspective.

What next?

Hungry

Swift and Figo and all other cars which are success, are standard looking vehicles - no hiff-haff, riff-raff and no out of the world design. Just plain things that work. So the formula is simple. Make a decent looking car with good FE and you've got a winner. Alto, Swift, i10, i20, Figo are such examples.

On the other hand, A-Star, Beat, Ritz are pecular designs which not all people may like. Personally I don't like any of them just from an exterior looks perspective.
      True and I reflect your sentiments on the A-Star, Beat and Ritz. Wouldn't want to be caught in any one of them

I guess every once in a while, companies try to do something funky, hoping it will appeal to the "young" crowd. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't! That said, I have come across a few people who think the Figo looks ugly!!!! what can we say? LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information