• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 11

    Thread: Royal Enfield with a 1000 cc V-twin engine

    1. #1
      GEARHEAD
      Arise, awake and Stop not till
      the goal is reached
       
      Awesome
       
      venbab's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Bengaluru
      Posts
      1,872

      Royal Enfield with a 1000 cc V-twin engine

      Name:  getimage (1).jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  70.8 KB

      Name:  getimage.jpg
Views: 2621
Size:  15.7 KB


      An industrial design professor is working on a home-grown answer to the world’s best monster bikes — a 1000 cc version of the Royal Enfield

      Aniket Vardhan was once overtaken by a man on a Harley Davidson. Soon, he is going to answer that snub by riding out on his self-customised Royal Enfield with a 1000 cc V-twin engine. Flashback to the royal snub: On a hot summer day in 1999, Vardhan was riding his 350cc Bullet on the streets of Delhi.
      A 1200 cc Harley zoomed by. The most powerful Indian motorcycle felt like a weak horse in comparison. “I wet myself publicly,” says the professor of industrial design at the Columbus College of Art and Design in Ohio. “It sounded like a thunder storm about to rock the world. I thought if I could build a V-twin Enfield, I would feel much better.” So he bought two 500cc Enfield engines and will be combining them to mod his ride. It will have a five-speed gear box, approximately 50bhp of power and a top speed of 230-240 kmph.

      FIRST DRAFT
      It would have been impossible for Vardhan to achieve his dream had he not gone to Ohio in 2002 to pursue a masters in Industrial Design. Still, he was no mechanic and enlisted the help of a friend who owned a machinary shop. Before starting work on the bike in 2010, Vardhan designed and built a 700cc V-twin by combining two 350cc Enfield engines. He named it the Enfield Musket V-twin.
      “I began work on the 700cc in 2003 while I was still in college,” Vardhan says. “I sketched and designed 3D computer models, measured all internal parts and figured out how to make the whole thing work using only standard Enfield parts.” The challenge was to redesign the frame of the bike and build a crankcase — a mechanical box which translates reciprocating linear piston motion into rotation — from scratch to hold two engines instead of one.
      Being an industrial designer, it was very important for Vardhan to maintain vintage Enfield aesthetics. “I took clues from the last Enfield big twin — the Interceptor — such as the rounded profile of the front of the crankcase,” he says. “I kept it as simple as the original Bullet engine; therefore, there were no modern updates to major engine internals.”
      Finally, after five years, the Musket V-twin got on the road at a top speed of 160 kmph with a 37.5 bhp engine.

      THE FUTURE
      After completing the Musket design, Vardhan contacted Enfield India via e-mail anticipating appreciation. “But they did not reply,” says Vardhan. With a test-run on the Musket, it took him only a year-and-a-half to design the 1000cc V-twin. “It follows a similar process,” says Vardhan, “And is near completion; it’ll take about five more months.”
      While he built the Musket solely for himself, he plans to sell the 1000cc bike via his website. However, there is one glitch: he can't use the Enfield brand name for his creation. “I am contemplating striking a deal with an established customised bike maker, such as the Vardenchi Motorcycles of Mumbai or the Rajputana Customs of Jaipur,” says Vardhan.
      When people spot his Musket V-twin growling down the road, they can’t help but ask, “It looks factory made. Has Enfield come up with a new bike?” Vardhan simply replies, “No, none of that. It’s my creation.”
      For now, this is enough.

      THE ROYAL ENFIELD
      IN 1955, Royal Enfield started production in India for the Army. Its only 1140cc model was the KX produced in England in 1937; though the English wing of the company did produce the 750cc Interceptor in the 1960s, it was not sold in India. The company saw its demise in England the 1970s, leaving behind its Indian wing. With a booming economy and expanding express highways, American superbikes, which cost between Rs 5 to 20 lakh, made their foray into the Indian market. The Enfield Classic 500cc comes for approximately Rs 1.5 lakh.




      Came across this news article in todays newspaper

      Source: http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
      Last edited by venbab; 27th Jul 2011 at 10:36.
      Donate BLOOD Save Lives

    2. #2
      O_o
       
      Awesome
       
      Godfather's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      7,766
      was reading about this in the papers this morning,
      I hope that these come in as limited editions atleast.

    3. #3
      Lost & searching..
       
      Secret
       
      inpursuitofpwr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Chn-Blr-Mdu
      Posts
      927
      Please read more about 'Musket' at http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?1...ghlight=musket
      There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the Guillotine - PGW

    4. #4
      Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!
       
      Awesome
       
      camchennai's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      City of Super Kings!!!
      Posts
      10,234
      Why is RE not showing interest in this??
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

      Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

      “The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

    5. #5

      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       
      Aargee's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
      Posts
      4,000
      Saar...that's not 1000cc, its only 350cc, Aniket has been working on it for 5 years & I've been following Aniket for over an year

      Idiot TOI, can't do a copy paste work properly to give all false info

      Here's the full source - Home -

      Thanks inpursuitofpwr
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

    6. #6

      not aware that he can set his status here!
       
      Awesome
       
      Aargee's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
      Posts
      4,000
      Quote Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
      its only 350cc
      Err...350 X 2...700CC
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

    7. #7
      GEARHEAD
      Arise, awake and Stop not till
      the goal is reached
       
      Awesome
       
      venbab's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Bengaluru
      Posts
      1,872
      Quote Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
      Originally Posted by Aargee
      its only 350cc
      Err...350 X 2...700CC
      Sir, you are correct he first built a 350x2=700 cc bike, its the same in the report also.

      Quote Originally Posted by venbab View Post
      FIRST DRAFT
      It would have been impossible for Vardhan to achieve his dream had he not gone to Ohio in 2002 to pursue a masters in Industrial Design. Still, he was no mechanic and enlisted the help of a friend who owned a machinary shop. Before starting work on the bike in 2010, Vardhan designed and built a 700cc V-twin by combining two 350cc Enfield engines. He named it the Enfield Musket V-twin.
      “I began work on the 700cc in 2003 while I was still in college,” Vardhan says. “I sketched and designed 3D computer models, measured all internal parts and figured out how to make the whole thing work using only standard Enfield parts.” The challenge was to redesign the frame of the bike and build a crankcase — a mechanical box which translates reciprocating linear piston motion into rotation — from scratch to hold two engines instead of one.
      Being an industrial designer, it was very important for Vardhan to maintain vintage Enfield aesthetics. “I took clues from the last Enfield big twin — the Interceptor — such as the rounded profile of the front of the crankcase,” he says. “I kept it as simple as the original Bullet engine; therefore, there were no modern updates to major engine internals.”
      Finally, after five years, the Musket V-twin got on the road at a top speed of 160 kmph with a 37.5 bhp engine.
      The above clearly says that he has already built a 350x2=700 cc bike.


      Quote Originally Posted by venbab View Post
      THE FUTURE
      After completing the Musket design, Vardhan contacted Enfield India via e-mail anticipating appreciation. “But they did not reply,” says Vardhan. With a test-run on the Musket, it took him only a year-and-a-half to design the 1000cc V-twin. “It follows a similar process,” says Vardhan, “And is near completion; it’ll take about five more months.”
      The above says that he is working on a new bike with 500x2=1000cc engine.
      Donate BLOOD Save Lives

    8. #8
      O_o
       
      Awesome
       
      Godfather's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Bangalore
      Posts
      7,766
      Quote Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
      Why is RE not showing interest in this??
      they will see the market response for his bikes first.. and seriously.. how many people do you think will actually get one for themselves??

    9. #9
      Lost & searching..
       
      Secret
       
      inpursuitofpwr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2011
      Location
      Chn-Blr-Mdu
      Posts
      927
      Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      how many people do you think will actually get one for themselves??
      IMO there will not be many takers. RE LB bikes are more like the saying 'Nice to look at but difficult to own'. Only people who have the 'Bullet' thing will 'think' about owning something like this. So yeah, I think RE is justified in not showing interest at this point in time
      There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the Guillotine - PGW

    10. #10
      Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!
       
      Awesome
       
      camchennai's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Location
      City of Super Kings!!!
      Posts
      10,234
      Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      they will see the market response for his bikes first.. and seriously.. how many people do you think will actually get one for themselves??
      If I remember correctly in other thread you quoted they are manufacturing the same model with different engine, so why not for a change they introduce these twin engine models. You never know there will be some people who would still buy these bikes since its from RE.

      FYI - RE 500 has waiting period of 8 to 12 months and 350 has minimum 6 months waiting period.
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

      Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

      “The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Royal Enfield Bullets Your Motorcycle Pics Here Please!
      By bikerman in forum Ownership Reports
      Replies: 59
      Last Post: 19th Mar 2018, 18:15
    2. Royal Enfield Has Great Plans for Future
      By Aargee in forum Indian Bike News
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: 6th May 2013, 06:39
    3. New Royal Enfield tempts Leno
      By Aargee in forum International Bike News
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 23rd May 2011, 10:08
    4. Replies: 1
      Last Post: 22nd Feb 2011, 17:28
    5. Royal Enfield Ride Calendar - 2010
      By dhruvj in forum Indian Bike News
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 15th Jul 2010, 16:34

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •