• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Padmini, Uno and an Adventure

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Hi Gemi,

i know the exact feeling when you speak of Fiat so fondly, i promise not to convert this thread into another Fiat Love thread.

But i was smitten with the new blue car sittin on my porch way back in 1989, my father had sold his trusty Standard Herald (2 Door) for a Brand New Fiat Premier Padmini. i loved the sliver grill to the tan interiors to the racy exhaust note. unfortunately we all succumbed to the jap fever as time went buy and we had a M800 for a long long time before the Esteem and then when the palio was launched my heart fell for it hook line and sinker, i decided that was the car my mum would be driving and soon the green 1.2 was parked in my house.

after another couple of years i had completed my engineering and i wanted a car - with my unstable earning potential, i decided to take a loan from my mum for a lakh and got myself a used Fiat Uno 1.0 (FIRE), i got the car and i did what i wanted to do the most, it had black bumpers on a white car, so i got the bonnet painted matte black and the b pillars also painted black. soon the darkest black shade of Cool tint sun film went on and i got a good deal on a set of JBL speakers. and my ride was set. i promise u no car to this day has put such a smile on my face - everytime i felt the need - the need for speed, all i had to do was slot the box into 2nd and accelerate hard - that lil thing for a 1ltr engine would sound like it was doing a lot more and it did move. its distinctive exhaust note was enough to get me hooked onto Fiat.

To be continued with pics....
      Sharan

2009 Fiat Grande Punto || 2001 Fiat Palio || 2005 Ford Ikon

@ Thiruvananthapuram
      Remapped

Awesome

thats a story line from NFS series...
      Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly ...
      Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost (4000km, Golden, #Code6 #EvilSport tuned)
      Verna SX CRDI ABS (Sold)

Awesome

Here is the Line-up of the News Kids on the block. The Padmini was sold before we got Digital Cameras
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image016.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	1630

More Pics and detailed reviews coming based on Interest posts
      Ford Figo TDCi, Fiat Adventure 1.6 [Sold], Ford Fusion 1.6, Fiat Uno 1.2[Sold], Maruti Zen [Sold], Premier Padmini [Sold]

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Man you just brought back the old blue fiat premier padmini on which we grew and started to see the world apart from our home town. Thankls for the memories
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Awesome

I think some of us from PUG / FCI have reffered to ur Uno as the Uno GTX. coz it had the most powerful of all the 3 engines put into the Uno by PAL.

i love this car, in all these years i've never had a chance to drive the 1.2 engine. ive been told that its the same engine from the palio. is this correct. Have u ever had troubles with the electricals? How many kms have u clocked in it? does it have the same exhaust note as the 1.0 Ltr FIRE Uno?

i have always been of the opinion that how ever good a car the uno was, it was always let down by poor electricals - my Uno went into electrical troubles every other time. the wiper would turn on by itself. the Headlights would be on highbeam without me actually switching it on, the alternator caught fire one day. the distributor had a mind of its own. it was fun in retrospect, but on some days i wanted to really beat the hell out of it.

However ive never had any such electrical issues on my Palio or Punto so far. touchwood!
      Sharan

Awesome

Actually the first few years the exhaust note was just awesome. Everytime you press the pedal you could hear the air pushing out of the exhaust (just like high end cars where the engine is super silent and all you hear is the exhaust). But thanks to TVS service. Probably they thought it was an issue that the engine did not have any noise. I think the engine has a different tune than that on the Palio.

We never had any electrical problem. I think the 1.2's were CKD units that were imported. Probably thats the reason for the unmatched quality even on FIAT cars today. The best speed for the car was 90km/hr when everything seemed to be in sync. Even the Adventure cant match that smooth experience at those speeds on the UNO GTX

But one thing i'll tell you. We all started loving the UNO after we got the fusion. Its true that you never know the worth of what you have.
      Ford Figo TDCi, Fiat Adventure 1.6 [Sold], Ford Fusion 1.6, Fiat Uno 1.2[Sold], Maruti Zen [Sold], Premier Padmini [Sold]

Awesome

Here goes the "like" list of the UNO 1.2

- Tremendous space for a hatch including boot space. We have transported a 150l refrigerator in the boot with the lid closed and all seats occupied. Dont think any other hatch would ever be able to do that.
      - Great ride comfort especially on bad roads. You'll never realize this until you own another car
      - Superb handling at high speeds.
      - Real cool sounding engine with adequate power. The power though reduced over years.
      - Hard Leather head restraints on front seats. No other car in close price range comes with this. It looks cool and top end.
      - The single wiper was really good in rains. Never had the second wiper disturbing us with water splashing and that line formed when it goes back. We all really liked the efficiency of the single wiper.

For those who came in late. Here is a glimpse of the new beast.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	1941

Awesome

What i hated about the Uno was when it rained - you could never see more than 10 mtrs ahead of the car... i always thought the radius of curvature of that windsheild was a bit too much which caused the misting up on the inside.

i have seen this in quite a few Unos? did u suffer from the same problem?
      Sharan

Awesome

Another FIAT love story. I guess it must be in the way they make cars. Cars that are supposed to bring smile on the face of the driver, others be damned. BTW am a proud 2nd owner of FIAT UNO 1.2ELX which has clocked 107k Kms. I got the car in 2003 and it being my first car has a special place in my garage and will never be sold.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://gearheads.in/post9198.html#p9198
      sharanramesh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:12 pm[/url]]I think some of us from PUG / FCI have reffered to ur Uno as the Uno GTX. coz it had the most powerful of all the 3 engines put into the Uno by PAL.

i love this car, in all these years i've never had a chance to drive the 1.2 engine. ive been told that its the same engine from the palio. is this correct. Have u ever had troubles with the electricals? How many kms have u clocked in it? does it have the same exhaust note as the 1.0 Ltr FIRE Uno?
      The 1.2 is a the same engine clock as the Palio but develops only 64bhp on account of it being a Single Point Fuel Injection instead of MPFI.
      Assumption is the mother of all F***ups - Baba Basu

@ Thiruvananthapuram
      Remapped

Awesome

Oh no.. dont call her a Beast.. its a beauty...
      Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly ...
      Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost (4000km, Golden, #Code6 #EvilSport tuned)
      Verna SX CRDI ABS (Sold)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information