• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Afterburner for the T-Jet.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Afterburner for the T-Jet.

I have been driving around in the T-Jet for quite some time now, read 4.8k kms, and the turbo lag in it is just killing me. I have been driving Normally Aspirated (NA) engines for the past 14 years and am used to the low end torque and effortless driving. At times its a bit scary when you are at a signal and the guy in front pulls off and you struggle till the turbo kicks in. The one behind you starts honking like a maniac. Then suddenly there is this surge of power and the car starts flying and you look up front to find that the fellow just braked. Its damn painful. I had to get rid of this, not the car but the turbo lag.

If I come to highway drives, its again the same story. You're cruising at 80 kmph and feel like overtaking a car which is doing 81 in front of you. The engine is revving at a tad under 2k rpm. The turbo comes to full life at around 2250. The solution is to keep the car cruising at 100kmph so that the turbo is available to help you as and when required but that is not possible all the time.

UGH, I miss my OHC. But the way the T-Jet handles and corners is just brilliant. Its so confidence inspiring, the ride is absolutely smooth.... blah blah blah, which everyone knows by now. The solution to the problem is to rectify the low end torque of the car so that it aids moving in slow traffic and on highways you have sufficient power in any rev band.

Here I contacted Peter a.k.a drifter with whom I have now partnered with for his products in India and he was kind enough to hand it to me to test. One of the item included was an AIR for the T-Jet. I wanted to get the 5k km check up done and then go in for the AIR. So, after getting the check up done I took the AIR to the local mechanic and got it fitted. It took about an hour for the whole job, removing the old one and fitting the new one.

So now, the AIR is in place and the stock one has been thrown out .

Initial driving experience, performance figures and photos coming up tomorrow .
      Competition setup going active soon ;)

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Linea-Lover View Post
      partnered with for his products in India
      Yay.. Discounts everywhere.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Linea-Lover View Post
      I have been driving Normally Aspirated (NA) engines for the past 14 years and am used to the low end torque and effortless driving. At times its a bit scary when you are at a signal and the guy in front pulls off and you struggle till the turbo kicks in.
      Ooo now I know why a Bajaj M80 beat a BMW 320d at a signal light drag race earlier today.

Good luck with your new venture.
      I don't know what's gonna happen man but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames

following a 'Linea'r
      progression

Secret

At times its a bit scary when you are at a signal and the guy in front pulls off and you struggle till the turbo kicks in. The one behind you starts honking like a maniac. Then suddenly there is this surge of power and the car starts flying and you look up front to find that the fellow just braked. Its damn painful.
      My experience entirely when I test drove this one last week. Waiting for the driving experience after the AIR replacement.

Awesome

This is how it now looks like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	49033

Driving Experience:

If I should say it in one line, it doesn't feel like a turbocharged car anymore. In a good way. The turbo lag is barely perceptible, just barely. The engine is as smooth and responsive like any other NA car even before the turbo kicks in. The low end torque has improved drastically. I can easily traipze around the city in higher gears now just the way I used to do in my OHC. I can now easily shift to 3rd gear at speeds as low as 20kmph and the engine picks from there onwards without any strain, shudder or lugging. The turbo also kicks in quite lower and once it does, the power is just there for the asking. It just....goes!. I'm mighty impressed and happy with the way the car is behaving now. The fuel efficiency has improved too.

Mileage:
      The mid figues never hover below 11.7 kmpl, even in tight traffic conditions. I could never coax more than 11 kmpl from her before. After driving for around 130 kms in city the MID is showing a mileage of 12 kmpl.

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	551.7 KB 
ID:	49034

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	554.2 KB 
ID:	49035

Awesome

Can you please enlighten about what AIR is? and can I install it on Fluence? If yes, what would be the cost?
      Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

Hastalavista
      Potential to GND

Awesome

Er... sorry if I sound stupid... What exactly is this "Afterburner"? Is it the same stuff used in Jet Engines (inject fuel into the exhaust stream and burn it using the Oxygen left unused, to increase the volume of the exhaust gases and increase thrust)? As in, igniting fuel to increase the pressure applied on the turbo vanes to spool up faster... Linea-Lover, 007, mclaren1885, anyone? Google tells me only about Jet engines
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by trustvishwas View Post
      Can you please enlighten about what AIR is? and can I install it on Fluence? If yes, what would be the cost?
      AIR is short for Air Intake Revision. If I explain in brief, its about feeding the engine with more air which is colder compared to the stock Air Intakedue to the design of the intake hose. That helps your low end torque, specially in turbocharged vehicles, and reduces the turbo lag. In Naturally Aspirated (NA) vehicles it feeds in more air and helps the engine to run more freely.

Being a very new car to the Indian market AIR for Fluence is not available.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
      Er... sorry if I sound stupid... What exactly is this "Afterburner"? Is it the same stuff used in Jet Engines (inject fuel into the exhaust stream and burn it using the Oxygen left unused, to increase the volume of the exhaust gases and increase thrust)? As in, igniting fuel to increase the pressure applied on the turbo vanes to spool up faster... Linea-Lover, 007, mclaren1885, anyone? Google tells me only about Jet engines
      Its just a term I've used as I own a T-Jet. If Fiat can term it a Jet, why can't I use the term Afterburner

Countess Crapula

Awesome

nimrod : Its just what he has ''termed'' the AIR upgrade on a TJet. Play of words and nothing to do with the afterburner funda of the jets that fly in the sky.
      Last edited by xx carmozome; 5th Aug 2011 at 12:03. Reason: typo error
      The Basshead @ The Tuning Folks

Linea TJet+/JVC-KD AVX77/Helix C-DSP/ Helix A4/ HelixA2/ Helix C62C/Helix P12E
      Without music, life would be a mistake. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information