• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Why did I choose Sony NEX5 Mirrorless Camera over Entry level DSLRs

Enjoying Bangalore rain and
      weather

Awesome

Why did I choose Sony NEX5 Mirrorless Camera over Entry level DSLRs

I did buy Sony NEX5 in December 2010, when had options of buying DSLR. Please find below some comparisons.

Name:  NEX5-NIKOND80 COOMPARISON2.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  50.9 KB
      sidebyside comparison of NEX5 & Nikon d80

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5854608829_4fc839a14c_b.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	549.2 KB 
ID:	50406
      Leica 400 mm lens on NEX5

Name:  C38378CC902D4FF282B7C9CD6C984870.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  48.0 KB
      Leica lens on NEX5

Name:  i-jzccrnL-L.png
Views: 152
Size:  188.6 KB
      DXO scores comparing Nikon cams and NEX5. Also available are comparisons with Canon cameras

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEX5-NIKOND80 COOMPARISON.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	50409
      NEX5 vs Nikon D80 size comparison - Nikon with 50mm and NEX5 with 18-55

You can look at the following lonk for details and why so many professionals with DLSR have choosen NEX5

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=39124856

I can adapt all lenses through adapters.
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

"Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u will never succeed, ignore it and walk in your own way....it will follow u.."

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by WOODSNAKE View Post
      Leica 400 mm lens on NEX5
      thats on a NEX5

also which tripod is that?? dont you get scratches on your lens when you fix it on a tree

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

WOODSNAKE
      when it comes to manual focusing how do u feel? is it easy in mirror less. have u tried macro in nex5.
      Last edited by manju100; 19th Aug 2011 at 13:07.
      manjunath.in

XUV W10
      Swift Dzire VDI
      ZEN VXI

weather

Awesome

Its easy. I won the first price in Sony NEX Background Defocus Contest , which was taken in macro mode. I have bellows with me for MD mount lens as well as for Mount lens. I have not tried a real macro as such of flies etc.

We could meet up and you could feel and use the NEx5. I have film loaded on XD-7 and Maxxum 7000 also.

Also if you have some Nikon or Canon lens, I have an adapter for both for NEX. We could also try that.
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

"Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u will never succeed, ignore it and walk in your own way....it will follow u.."

weather

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      thats on a NEX5

also which tripod is that?? dont you get scratches on your lens when you fix it on a tree
      This is what the owner said " I don't want no fat DSLR hanging off the end of my precious leica-r 400/6.8 telyt"
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by WOODSNAKE View Post
      We could meet up and you could feel and use the NEx5.
      sure
      manjunath.in

XUV W10
      Swift Dzire VDI
      ZEN VXI

weather

Awesome

Continuing, I find the Nex5N the darling of many DSLR users (professional and ameatuer). I have picked up the ranting sof the owners of Nikon cameras and their liking for Sony Nex5N. Enjoy.

Nex-5N .... comments from a D700 user [Page 1]: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Excerpts:

Nex-5N .... comments from a D700 user NEW [SIMILAR]
      Kallel00 - 14 hours ago

Well, since I trolled this forum before buying a 5N ... figured I'd post here

I'm a hobbyist photographer, who uses a D700 with mainly 24-70mm F/2.8 and 70/200mm F2.8 lenses, and some primes (50mm, 85mm, and 105mm macro)

I love the D700 and I get killer photos with it .

Bought a Nex-5N with kit 18-55 because mainly I'm tired of lugging the heavy Kata bag with Nikon stuff in it.

I'm not a pro-reviewer, and I haven't compared with the 4/3 cameras, but I'm in love with the Nex camera. The last Sony camera I bought was an HX5v and quite frankly, being used to a D700 with quality glass, I really hated most of my photos that were taken with it. There's a couple family outings we did with only the HX5V and I've regretted not bringing my D700 ....

The Nex-5N however gives me shots similar to what I'd expect with any d-SLR & kit lenses. Video filming is pretty neat too, especially indoors (I'm used to a Sony HD 1080p Camcorder which kills the colors whenever we're inside ..). the video image quality is awesome with the Nex.

The menus sort of suck, but it's no game stopper. Not really more complicated than fiddling with all d-SLR menus ...you just need to learn by heart where each option is

So bottom line is: this camera won't replace my D700 ...far from it. However it's certainly going to replace it whenever I'm going somewhere I don't want to haul the heavy stuff ... 4 years ago I went on a cruise trip and ended up using a Nikon D200 with 50mm lens on it most of the time. If I were to go on a cruise now D700 would stay home and I'd only bring the Nex Camera with a couple of lenses (mainly the 50mm F1.8 OSS). I'd forgotten how nice it was to carry a lightweight kit ...two thumbs up for the Nex camera system. I plan on buying the 55-200mm lens and the 50mm F1.8 as well. I'll have a small & lightweight backpack that will have the equal weight of a body-only D700 and quite frankly, it's all that matters to me when I'm going away atm.

One last thing: I've also considered a small d-SLR like a D5100 with kit lens for walkarounds (since I've got Nikon glass...). Seriously it's not the same ... Nex is so much smaller ...

P.S: I sort of dislike Alpha cameras (compared to Nikon). But to me the Nex cameras is what the Nikon 1 system should have been ...

----------------------------
      verybiglebowski - 14 hours ago

Be warned - D700 will stay more and more at home

-------------------------------------------------------

Stephen Schwartz - 13 hours ago
      I (hopefully) will be joining you as an enthusiast.

I am also a serious photographer and settled on the D700 mainly for its low light ability and ability to use Nikon glass. It is awesome BUT heavy and intrusive in my typical shoot .. political/social scene.

While awaiting my nex7, I got my wife a 5N figuring even if it did not live up the hype she wold enjoy it!

I am in awe. Leaving all else aside, the low light ability is HUGELY enhanced by the deblur feature. Add to that the smart focus features ...I can handhold a get sharp results I could not get on the D700.

Bottom line, high is is not the be all and end all. A light camera plus deblur and follow focus is easily worth two stops!

I am so impressed that after my nex 7 comes I plan to add a Leica C logo to it! I have always wanted a small, hand held low light camera ...,,,
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

Thread Information