• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide if these are minor or major...

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Help me decide if these are minor or major...

I just serviced my baleno and here are the observations. Please help me with your ideas and solutions-1. There is a kind of vibration that comes from the left end of dashboard when the engine is at idle. That noise goes off when I depress the accelerator slightly.2. When the AC is turned on the same noise comes especially when the coil cuts off and on. When I turn of just the AC button this vibration stops immediately.3. Whenever I use any electrical part in the car, say a power window switch or headlight there is a change in the rpm needle. What exactly is this?4. Whenever I turn my steering to left or right, I can feel a vibration on the wheel and change in rpm as well. The SA told me it is due to power steering assisted with oil.5. Finally I was told that the rear right side wheel bearing has been busted and needs replacement. They quoted around 6k including hubs. Please throw some light on this.Is there any good showroom that services baleno perfectly in chennai? Where do we get genuine spares for baleno?Thanks in advance again for your responses.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by stallion.rides View Post
      I just serviced my baleno and here are the observations. Please help me with your ideas and solutions-1. There is a kind of vibration that comes from the left end of dashboard when the engine is at idle. That noise goes off when I depress the accelerator slightly.2. When the AC is turned on the same noise comes especially when the coil cuts off and on. When I turn of just the AC button this vibration stops immediately.3. Whenever I use any electrical part in the car, say a power window switch or headlight there is a change in the rpm needle. What exactly is this?4. Whenever I turn my steering to left or right, I can feel a vibration on the wheel and change in rpm as well. The SA told me it is due to power steering assisted with oil.5. Finally I was told that the rear right side wheel bearing has been busted and needs replacement. They quoted around 6k including hubs. Please throw some light on this.Is there any good showroom that services baleno perfectly in chennai? Where do we get genuine spares for baleno?Thanks in advance again for your responses.
      To add to the above, I'd also complained that I always hear a humming sound from the engine. The advisor said it is the noise from radiator fan. I checked but the humm comes even when the fan is off.

O_o

Awesome

1. There is a kind of vibration that comes from the left end of dashboard when the engine is at idle. That noise goes off when I depress the accelerator slightly.
      what was done in the last service? was the dashboard removed for any reason?

Whenever I use any electrical part in the car, say a power window switch or headlight there is a change in the rpm needle. What exactly is this?
      problem with battery, there is a thread on GH about amp and battery. check that here --> The BATTERY Thread

Whenever I turn my steering to left or right, I can feel a vibration on the wheel and change in rpm as well. The SA told me it is due to power steering assisted with oil
      nope. the SA is wrong. the vibration could be due to wheel balancing issue. get that checked.

Finally I was told that the rear right side wheel bearing has been busted and needs replacement. They quoted around 6k including hubs. Please throw some light on this.
      you dont need to change hubs. check the following DIY videos.

what a bad wheel bearing sounds like

Replace wheel bearing.

Awesome

I just serviced my baleno and here are the observations. Please help me with your ideas and solutions-

1. There is a kind of vibration that comes from the left end of dashboard when the engine is at idle. That noise goes off when I depress the accelerator slightly. 2. When the AC is turned on the same noise comes especially when the coil cuts off and on. When I turn of just the AC button this vibration stops immediately..
      Though I am not an expert, I would like to put my views. Experts please correct me wherever I am wrong. The vibrations in dashboard mean that it is touching the steel body somewhere. The dashboard should not touch the body, and should be floating. Check for some loose screws. Or try putting a small thin rubber piece at various places where the dashboard might touch the body of the car/source of vibration. It is just to find if it is the cause yourself, since A.S.S do not have patience to do that. Other reason could be that some panel is not fitted perfectly on the dashboard.

3. Whenever I use any electrical part in the car, say a power window switch or headlight there is a change in the rpm needle. What exactly is this?.
      This means some wiring problem. I too have the same (unsolved) issue in my bike. It is difficult to find it yourself, i guess.

4. Whenever I turn my steering to left or right, I can feel a vibration on the wheel and change in rpm as well. The SA told me it is due to power steering assisted with oil..
      I don't think that turning power steering left or right should cause much variation in RPN, since PS hydraulic pump might not need much power from engine. There should be only a little effect. If it is major change in RPM, then it might be related to 3.

Awesome

Thank you all for suggestions. I'll certainly work on that. Just to add up, the vibration goes off at 1000rpm idle state and resurfaces again at 750rpm idle. This happens even when the car is running.As for the humm sound, it is still there as though the fan is running all the time. But I stop immediately and check and the fan is idle. My wife almost yelled at me when I got out of the car this evening at a signal to check this. Such is my frustration or worry I shud say. Can any of you please confirm if the same happens on your car? :-(

Awesome

HI please dont get frustrated on these simple issues, one thing I can say I had faced everything you have faced in my zen (and rectified) except for the power steering issue.

1. I would say its natural for those G series engines to have the slightest of vibes on idle in the range of 700~1000 and all the little loose bolts/plastic parts/fan recirc, fresh air, mechanisms/pedal linkages would start to go trrrr brrrr when it touches those engine speeds etc....

2. Can be correlated with 1, there is a smooth spot in-between 700~1K speeds, but if you feel a/c vibe is excessive you should get it adjusted.

3. Simple, you switch something on the load goes to the alternator which goes to the engine whose rpm comes down due to load, where ecu comes in and tries to maintain a steady idle, all these happens while the needle twitches a bit. Just to be sure get the charging volt and battery + terminals + wires checked.

4. This is definitely a problem with power steering or one of its associated parts, have seen the exact same issue on a corsa and some other cars. From what I've seen idle vibes were a bit more than usual in these cars. Rectifying this *could* solve the above issues.

5. Well you can check it yourself, ask someone to drive and you sit in the back seat, if you hear a whirring sound which increases with car's speed you know the bearings are gone, Hubs don't need replacement unless they are worn down or rusted beyond repair. But if its a rubbing sound it could be the shoes are dragging against the drum.

As for the humming sound, it is still there as though the fan is running all the time.
      Check all ac/water-pump/alternator belts for any sign of wear, mostly one small chunk of rubber gone makes a big difference in sound. The sound should be coming from the belt side only. But if it comes on the gearbox side during idle or while depressing clutch, the bell mechanism might need checking.

Out of your issues only the last and the power steer issues need to be checked thoroughly. Get someone to remove/tighten all the parts under the dash.
      Last edited by agn; 25th Aug 2011 at 23:45.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by agn View Post
      HI please dont get frustrated on these simple issues, one thing I can say I had faced everything you have faced in my zen (and rectified) except for the power steering issue.
      You are kind agn. I'm consoled. I just stood in front of the bonnet taking an oath that I shall figure out the engine hum noise. And I guess I did.Orgin - from the left side of bonnet, towards the air filter box. Maybe beneath it or exactly on it.Source - I guess it is from the air filter boxReason - I see that the air filter box might have broken in the side. But the cap is intact with clips. The air filter hose is attached to the engine(I maybe wrong on this. Maybe it is called injector) with the help of plastic tag instead of metal onesCould my observation be right? How do I confirm this? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Awesome

Could my observation be right? How do I confirm this?
      A picture of all the components would be helpful. You could just remove the plastic intake stuff off the throttle body and check if the noise is still there minus the hiss from the TB.

Awesome

Sure I shall have the picture. I just came back from the car. Unable to sleep properly, I took the car out since it silent at this time. Here is what I observe-

1. Engine start - No issues at all
      2. Accelerate a bit and then warm up - No issues at all(sometimes I get a rattling or brr... kind of sound from dash which is felt on steering and this goes off when I push the pedal upto 1000rpm.)
      3. Move the car - No issues at all
      4. Turn on the blower - No issues at all
      5. Turn on the AC button - compressor or the cooling starts and there is a change in rpm needle. This the same happens as mentioned in point 2
      6. Using the power window switch or wiper shows a little bit of fluctuation in lighting and electric parts
      7. At idle and when AC is turned on, when I engage the brake there is a vibration felt. I take off my foot and the vibe is gone. This does not happen when AC is turned off
      8. Finally, when the steering wheel is turned even slightly left or right at idle, there is a change in rpm

I guess I've summarized the observations exactly as I noticed a while ago. I felt I should post it immediately for you.

Waiting for opinions.

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

stallion.rides, relax. Most of the issues you mentioned are simple to resolve. I am travelling right now and will take around 8 hours to reach home. In the meantime, just do the following and report here.

When your engine reaches operating temperature, what is the idling RPM? Then when you turn the AC on, how many RPM does it drop to? Is this drop momentary, ie. Does the engine go back to the old idle RPM in a couple of seconds or does it stay dropped until the AC compressor disengages?

Please note and provide exact RPM values from your tacho. A video would be even better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information