• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: ICE-Land - v2.0

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

ICE-Land - v2.0

Exactly 10 days short of 8 months and 13,495 views ( on last count and still counting ) later, I finally requested our MOD and ICE Guru Mi10 sir to close my thread ICE-LAND : A tale of upgrades and learning ...... ... It was started with an invitation from him for GH and I cannot thank him enough for that.

Exactly a year before I started my setup in the Verna with a 80km trip to a JBL dealer and finally concluded with the following setup after what I must admit more than the required number of upgrades.

Head Unit ~ Eclipse CD7200 MKII

Stereo Amplifier ~ Mosconi Gladen ONE 120.4

Mono Amplifier ~ Rockford Fosgate T500-1BD

Speakers ~ Alpine SPX-17PRO in a bi-amp configuration

Woofer ~ Image Dynamics IDQ 12D4 v3

Enclosure ~ Venom 1.0 cu ft sealed

Wiring ~ Kicker + Rockford Fosgate + Monster Cable + Gladen

Damping ~ NoiseKill + Stinger

In between the i10 also got it's fair share of upgrades as well.

All the reviews, photos, comparo etc are in the old thread.

The installation, tuning, upgrading ( RCA, Sub ) and the listening over the past few months ( yes, I did listen to the setup ) kept me busy with no intent of upgrading the setup for a long time. It was tuned for SQL out and out.

The Type-X tweeter was supremely detailed and the mid-range was easily kicking hard and the IDQ is just superb with the amplifiers powering them to glory.

It was a trip to Chandigarh to shift into my PG room for my industrial training that something unexpected happen. The USB on the Eclipse stopped working. Tried my best to get it to work.

Re-wiring, formatting the USB drive on a PC rather than MAC, tried all that I could but it did not work. I was sad to be honest since something that my entire system was built around was giving me such a problem and to be more honest, I have a slight emotional attachment to the Eclipse for it's raw SQ and exclusivity.

I turned to using MP3 CD's with the files in the USB drive and even ACD's ( original as well as those made from FLAC files ).

This is where things totally changed for me. I had been listening to 320kbps MP3 files for long and had forgotten what unfiltered, un-adulterated music files sounded like. The superb quality from ACD's made it a pleasure to listen to music all over again. Tracks that I used to skip before were now heard with utmost attention to all the vocals, instruments and nuances.

I could not go back to crappy mp3 files on USB again. I would consider that a severe downgrade to the setup.

BT was not my forte even though the Eclipse could easily detect even new gen Android devices with superior DAC's thanks to Mi10 sir's ever growing efforts for better SQ that informed me about it. I already have an iPhone 4 that I did not want to change, changing the tracks from the phone while on move is not something I wanted so out went BT.

Using something like a Cowon PMP with FLAC files through the AUX did cross my mind thanks to the in-house DIY Gurus Dinesh Sachdev and 007 ( who by the way hacked off the essentials off a Pioneer P80RSII )

So the upgrade was planned for a better source and/or processor. Something that can play or decode high quality lossless files ( FLAC, WAV, ALAC ), be easy enough to be used by the family and be slightly future proof ( by this I mean that the source/processor should be directly transferrable to any future car that we will upgrade to.

A CarPC made the most sense technically but practically it did not suit my purpose for the fact that the climatic conditions, dust, troubleshooting ( cannot be done by my family in my absence even though every one can easily operate a PC ) made me set this option aside for a future project.

Aside from the source, I happened to listen to an very close friend's newly installed setup. I will not reveal it but it is surely one of the best setups I have heard and tuned with some of the best equipment from the best brands available here.

I have decided to upgrade the speakers as well to something more SQ oriented. The Type-X have been doing their duty faithfully since almost a year and continue to do so in the i10 off the Harman Kardon CA280e and the Pioneer P80RS.

TO BE CONTINUED .. ( after dinner )
      Last edited by karanbhatia; 28th Aug 2011 at 22:22.

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
      007 ( who by the way hacked off the essentials off a Pioneer P80RSII )
      oi!! how many times should I say this? NOT HACKED!! SURGICALLY ALTERED!!
      keep at it and I will get a P99RS and do things to it that will give you nightmares.

speaing of P99RS, I *might* get one for free if I do a few things right. also, has anybody any clue if anybody can get a Helix Competition Conductor that hareshjethwani mentioned in his thread anywhere in the US? if it is available, I might just get that instead of the P99RS.

sleep in fear Karan. muhahahahaha.

www.purplekart.in

Awesome

Good you opened up a new thread karan,I thought of opening a new thread and creating a poll for members to vote to reopen your thread by the mods Karan why don't you fly to germany get the helix competition conductor and a few brax's along how long do you have dinner karan I'm waiting
      Last edited by hareshjethwani; 28th Aug 2011 at 23:37.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
      keep at it and I will get a P99RS and do things to it that will give you nightmares.
      it is for this reason i have not asked you to have a look at the non working USB of the Eclipse ... i'm sure you can fix the USB, but i fear for the rest of the stuff being 'surgically altered'

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
      I *might* get one for free if I do a few things right.
      lemme send your thread link to the management at Pioneer ... a few fainted old chinese bloaks should get you loads of free

Quote Originally Posted by hareshjethwani View Post
      Karan why don't you fly to germany get the helix competition conductor and a few brax's along
      oooohhhh how i would love to have one of those Graphic Edition amplifiers ....
      Last edited by karanbhatia; 28th Aug 2011 at 23:51.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

The new HEART of the setup

A good head unit/source is like the heart of the setup IMO. Something that is supposed to decode and process all the media files accurately and send the signal to the amplifier and further to the signal should be the most important part of the chain.

The Eclipse CD7200 MKII has been as both a blessing as well as a curse in disguise for me.

It single handedly led my setup to where I left it in the old thread. It has made me so accustomed to listening to the music in it's best form with so much detail and accurate reproduction that it is hard to even think of settling for something lesser.

My options for a new 'heart' were a DSP, Pioneer DEX-P99RS and believe it or not a Clarion HX-D2/DRZ9255 for it's sheer SQ that has been hard to match by many.

The Clarion was ruled out for reasons such as CD only support and the fact that it was going to cost me 60k easily.

The Pioneer DEX-P99RS was ruled out because of the fact that 60k for a HU alone did not seem justified specially after getting mixed reviews for it. Believe it or not but there are certain seasoned experts whom this particular HU failed to impress and I don't find that hard to believe knowing the kind of equipment they have heard/tested/owned/sold all of their lives.

The procuring of the 'heart' was spontaneous. Unplanned ans unexpected to say the least and involved taking delivery of it at 8:30 PM on a pedal rickshaw with a close friend.

I will let the pictures talk before I interrupt again with my reason for choosing this particular product.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	50938
      designed - project - built - italy

Name:	IMG_1305.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	675.5 KB 
ID:	50939
      Made in Italy ( second italian to grace my setup )

Name:	IMG_1307.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	786.9 KB 
ID:	50940
      audison bit one ~ signal interface processor

Name:	IMG_1309.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	793.0 KB 
ID:	50941
      Bit One.1 ... this is what matters the most

Name:	IMG_1311.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	779.4 KB 
ID:	50942

Name:	IMG_1313.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	816.7 KB 
ID:	50943
      Processor and DRC in transparent packaging with audison printed on the package .. very nice touch ..

Name:	IMG_1315.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	763.9 KB 
ID:	50944
      DRC ~ Control Presets, Source, Volume, Fader, Sub etc

Name:	IMG_1317.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	667.9 KB 
ID:	50945
      The 'Heart'

Name:	IMG_1319.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	587.3 KB 
ID:	50946
      Inputs from extreme right ~ Co-axial, Digital, AUX 2, AUX 1, 3 pair of Pre-In

Name:	IMG_1321.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	789.4 KB 
ID:	50947
      Power and Remote section .. will accept 16ga wire at the most I suppose ..

Name:	IMG_1323.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	823.6 KB 
ID:	50948
      USB for the PC connection ..

Name:	IMG_1325.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	609.7 KB 
ID:	50949
      Output section ~ Pre-out ~ 4 pair

Name:	IMG_1329.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	723.4 KB 
ID:	50950
      CD's and Manual

Name:	IMG_1331.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	795.2 KB 
ID:	50951
      Cables that I will open at time of install ..

This is ironically the first piece of equipment to be bought for this upgrade and also the last one to go in the setup ...

I will use the Eclipse for the time being till I can get the right HU/Source to be paired with the Bit One.1. Something that supports Lossless in any format/form and still maintains some bells and whistles as well as usability for my family.

More on that later.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Audison Bit One.1

Some information on the Bit One.1 can be found here ~

http://www.audison.eu/index_main.php...=FEATUREBITONE

Answering the top 2 questions that must be rising in everyone's mind. If I miss something, please feel free to ask

1. Why a DSP ? Why not a P99RS/HX-D2/CarPC ?

A: I understand that the total expense of the Bit One.1 + HU/Source will neighbor in the region of what a Pioneer P99RS would cost in gray market. An all in one solution that can be controlled from the dash. A competition grade HU with all bells and whistles and the looks to die for and the exclusivity of it. Easy to use interface of Pioneer and the fact that it can bypass the iPod DAC completely. Makes a lot of sense and it surely appealed to my heart more than anything.

BUT. A big BUT. I do not consider it future proof as per my need. Advice by many experts including the owner of Venom, made it clear that it makes sense to invest in a DSP. Almost all current vehicles have OE HU with tons of features that we actually pay for. Apart from that, it is not always possible to change the HU for reasons such as lack of dash kits ( unlikely ), warranty issue, loss of important features that might include some related to safety.

Apart from this, having cut up the a-pillars and what not for my setup, I personally prefer a stock look any day for any vehicle if given a choice to have the best looking and sounding ICE in the same package.

Our next car, which and when it might be will maintain the OE HU ( a personal and a family wish ) paired up with the Bit One.1 and perhaps a dedicated DAC or PMP for my music. The OE HU will be easy for my family to use and maintains the stock look.

Had I gone for a P99RS now and wanted a DSP at later stage, it would have been difficult to sell a HU worth 60k than to sell a HU worth 15k or so that I buy now for the Bit One.1 at the later stage.

I also wanted to try something new and with more detailed tuning options at my disposal.

It made sense to get a DSP specially when it was available at a good price.

2. Why the Bit One.1 ?

Options such as JBL MS-8 did not offer any scope of manual tuning.

Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2 is due for and upgrade and not without it's share of problems. The 3sixty.3 is stated for a 2012 launch.

Mosconi 6to8 DSP was another contender but not sure about it's launch date. It is also the only DSP that I might compare to the Bit One.1 for my setup and might even consider to sell the B1.1 to get. Hence the decision to install the DSP in the end.

Alpine PXA-H800 needs a Alpine AiNet compatible HU to be turned on ( tuning remains from a laptop or the RUX C-800 controller. If paire up with a non-Alpine HU ( Pioneer, JVC etc or OE ), it will surely need the RUX controller to be tuned as well as turned on by the remote out connection. Such restrictions are sort of a deal breaker for me. The H800 is currently in it's first gen stage which like the Bit One has some bugs and fixes that are yet to be implemented. I have learnt it from past experience to never to go for a product as soon as it is launched but to rather wait for expert reviews and opinions and any upgrades if any.

The Bit One.1 is again the upgraded version of the Bit One which eliminates the bugs and noise issues of the first version with upgraded hardware and software. The Bit One.1 is not yet currently available in India as per my information but I could be wrong.

The HU or the 'source' that will be used for my lossless music will be discussed with members and experts before being finalized upon.

Next up ... The amplifier for the setup ... but that in the morning

EDIT : Just realized .. this is the 100th thread in the Members Build Logs section

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
      S
      Next up ... The amplifier for the setup ... but that in the morning
      SUBAAH HO GAYI MAAMU! Still waiting!!!
      Volkswagen Polo Highline 1.6
      Suzuki SX4 ZXi MT (Leather Pack)

Alpine ICS-X8
      Mosconi ZERO-4
      Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L6SE Carbon + L2X + L1ProR2
      Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia L6SE
      Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP - Image Dynamics IDQ12V3.D4 x 2
      Dynamat Xtreme - DynaTape - Focal B.A.M. XL
      Kicker - Stinger - XScorpion - Monster - Chord - Connection Audison - Shok.

IS aware that he can set his
      status here!

Awesome

Go On Karan.. let's see what's coming. I must add 'hear Karan's ICE setup' to my to-do list next time I am in ASR.

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Cograts Karan, that one hell of an upgrade. A Processor into the mix always throws up unlimited possibilies. Bitone.1 is currently the best processor one can buy without the fear of technical glitches. Its Stable, Robust and given superb tuning options(Although you will miss the Parametric EQ of your Eclipse).

Eagerly waiting for rest of your equipments
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Good Morning GH ... thank for all the appreciation

Will start with answering some PM's that I just checked.

1. The Eclipse works absolutely fine except for the USB.

2. No, i do not have any immediate plans to sell it

3. The configurations that I see possible with the Bit One.1 are as follows ~

Front + Rear + Centre Channel + Sub ( surround sound but not true 5.1 I guess )

Front 2-way active/bi-amp + Rear + Sub

Front 3-way active + Sub

Front 3-way active + Rear ( off the rear pre-out from the HU ) + Sub

Lot of options but nothing decided for now ....

Mi10 sir what would be the difference between using a single output from the HU instead of 2 or even 3 to the B1.1 ? The DRC will have control of the Fader section I believe, so will there be any benefit of using more than one input from the HU ?

Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information