• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Right Decision - Buying & Owning a Figo 1.4 Titanium - Our Colorado Queen :-) 8+ Years & 1.20 Lakh+ Kms of blissful ownership

Sedate...

Awesome

The Right Decision - Buying & Owning a Figo 1.4 Titanium - Our Colorado Queen :-) 8+ Years & 1.20 Lakh+ Kms of blissful ownership

Dear GearHeads...

Here is the story of buying our First Car - Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium - Our Colorado Queen.

Me & Wife was in search of a Flat to Own but felt it will be out of budget for the time being & we landed up buying a moving house - A Car

What we were looking for?

Thus Our search for a car started in Sep'10. My primary needs were the below.
      1) ABS & Dual Airbags.
      2) Ride & Handling.
      3) Performance & FE.
      4) Looks & Features.
      5) Space & Comfort.

Machines considered
      Read & watched lot of reviews about the cars in the segment am looking for.
      1) Figo
      2) Beat
      3) Swift
      4) Polo
      5) Wagon R
      6) Ritz
      7) i20
      8) Punto
      After Office, time was spend on reviewing the above vehicles & the reviews had taken away my sleep those days.

After lot of calculation & thinking decided to go for a Diesel one.

2) Beat - I didn't like the design & heard that the Dash is bit high( Am on the shorter side ). Also, Petrol was the only variant available that time.
      3) Swift - Common on the roads & didn't had the Airbags on the Diesel variant.
      4) Polo - I should have gone for it if it had fit my pocket.
      5) Wagon R - Again didn't like the design of new one much & no Diesel variant available.
      6) Ritz - Didn't like the design.
      7) & 8) Didn't fit the pocket.

Why Figo?
      It had what all I was looking for & for a price that fit your pocket. A real VFM Car.
      The 1.4 engine is a proved one(Running on the old Fiesta) & we can trust on that.

Cons as listed in many reviews & my take on those
      I was interested in Figo after the reviews. The cons about Figo which as listed in all the reviews are below.
      1) No rear power windows.
      2) Hood opener placed on passenger side.
      3) Low ground clearance.
      4) Rear windows scroll down partially.

I thought about each of these cons & here is my conclusion.
      1) & 4) For me, only front seat passengers & occasionally only backseat passengers. And the thing is am not going to drive with windows scrolled down. So if no rear power windows, no issue for me & more over rear window scroll half only is a child safety feature as well as there are constraints also like cos of the longer window glass which requires a bigger motor to bring it down & the rear wheel arch design.

2) Hehe... I laughed at it. Are you going to open the hood while u drive? Answer for this question will help you make the decision whether its really a con. Even if somebody accidentally open it also, it won't fly on to your windshield & won't block your view.

3) The max you can get in this category is 171 & Figo have 168. Most of the time the mud flaps are touching & sometimes under body. But still the under body is well protected. Only the beams on side hits the ground. If you practice to drive the hump in less than 10km/hr with adequate tire pressure, the under body won't touch. If it is touching also it's cos of good suspension.

Decision making
      I made my decision after a test drive & bought my Colorado Red Queen on 17th October 2010 from Metro Ford, St.Marks Road.
      As a driver am new to the arena that time & driven only the Driving School Cars. The only other Car I drove before the TD is a Fiat Palio for less than half Kms. I took my friend's Uncle's Palio out of the Parking lot to the road. That is my previous experience as a driver.

But as an automobile enthusiast I used to closely watch the drivers & was confident enough that I can maneuver.
      Went to Metro Ford on 5th October 2010 & they gave the vehicle for a very short TD which resembles a big diameter.
      The first thing grabbed my mind was the Steering feedback. I was blown away with that. With that short stint I understood why people call Ford car as "Drivers Car".

We checked the interiors & were impressed. Fabric was good & Rear legroom(Next to Indica) & Boot Space were the best in that segment.
      A/C chills the cabin soon & Music System sounds good.

Color
      Decided at the first instance that Dash color is going to be Ebony(Black).
      Next is which exterior color? Came down to White & Red. I liked both but was difficult to finalize one. And after lot of discussions between me & wife, went for the Red as per her suggestion which I loved it the moment we owned it.
      She was looking stunning in Colorado Red.
      Took the delivery on 17th October 2010 on the auspicious day of Vijayadashami/Dussehra.
      Drove her straight away to the Temple to do the Pooja.

Now, she is done with 16986 Kms. Am loving every moment of it. Looking forward to 17K Kms on her first Birthday.

Yes. There are small niggles & all but you have to accept the fact that it will be there for most of the vehicles. I have seen people complaining about the niggles in Beamers & Mercs.

The Performance & Awards won by Figo & the Sales shows that I made the right decision like many of you out here...

To those who are looking for a hatchback... My word is Ford Figo Titanium Diesel...

Now some pictures to do the talking.

On the D-Day after the Pooja at Temple

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pic_1.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	394.2 KB 
ID:	56240

As it is GearHeads, lets start with the Gear itself

Name:	Pic_2.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	316.2 KB 
ID:	56241

A/C Vents above the center console like the other two on each side shuts completely & rotates in 360 degree

Name:	Pic_3.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	56242

The Controversial(Not for me) Hood Opener

Name:	Pic_4.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	360.3 KB 
ID:	56243

Spare wheel with jack & spanner below it

Name:	Pic_5.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	351.6 KB 
ID:	56244

Useful Boot lamp

Name:	Pic_6.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	56245

Under the Hood

Name:	Pic_7.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	376.9 KB 
ID:	56246

Enough legroom for that 5th passenger

Name:	Pic_8.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	396.5 KB 
ID:	56247

When Driver seat fully pushed back

Name:	Pic_9.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	345.8 KB 
ID:	56248

When Front Passenger seat fully pulled forward

Name:	Pic_10.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	364.3 KB 
ID:	56249

Center Console. Note that without removing the hands from Gear lever you can easily play around with the music controls

Name:	Pic_11.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	315.2 KB 
ID:	56250

Bottle holder behind the hand brake lever

Name:	Pic_12.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	381.5 KB 
ID:	56251

Neatly placed hook

Name:	Pic_13.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	56252

Headlamp control knob & leveler

Name:	Pic_14.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	348.1 KB 
ID:	56253

Boot Opener

Name:	Pic_15.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	348.7 KB 
ID:	56254

6 Speed Intermittent Wiper & Wash Stalk

Name:	Pic_16.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	375.8 KB 
ID:	56257

Adequate space in the Footwell

Name:	Pic_17.JPG 
Size:	373.9 KB 
ID:	56258

Small storage space on the Driver side

Name:	Pic_18.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	56260

ORVMs Controller

Name:	Pic_19.JPG 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	56261

Didn't add much pics as the vehicle is familiar in the market now. But can add more on request.

Ownership review to be followed here...
      Will do that after 17th.
      Last edited by Evolution88; 12th Oct 2011 at 22:22.

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Wonderful....wonderful...wonderful...that's what I can say

Good write up and excellent pictures to explain each and every aspect of the car.

Congratulations and drive safe
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

Sedate...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
      Wonderful....wonderful...wonderful...that's what I can say

Good write up and excellent pictures to explain each and every aspect of the car.

Congratulations and drive safe
      Thanks a lotttttt....

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

Evolution88, The vehicle looks great in 'Red'. In fact to me the Figo looks great in all colours be it White, Red, Grey or Green. What type of niggles you have faced so far on this one? And how's the experience in long highway trips. I have assumed,looking at the ODO number, you might have made few.
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

!

Awesome

Nice writeup Evolution88....

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution88 View Post
      When Driver seat fully pushed back
      Can I know your height if you dont mind please...This seems adequate space than a swift....
      I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.

Sedate...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
      What type of niggles you have faced so far on this one?
      Small niggles which are not that harmful & few vanished after rectification. Will pen down those very soon.
      As I said most of them got rectified & for the time being only minor noise from the Dashboard on uneven roads(occasionally only) say at a speed of 40km/hr or so. Which is very much negligible or you can't hear if the music is on at a Volume of 4.

Quote Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
      And how's the experience in long highway trips. I have assumed,looking at the ODO number, you might have made few.
      Car was planted to the Road on high speeds. Figo gives such confidence to maneuver the Corners at high speeds of say 120Km/hr or more. People who complain about low GC(I won't agree that) or low stance have to drive it in high speeds & will come to know what is good about the low stance in high speeds.
      Very less body roll. Car didn't vibrate at high speeds of 140km/hr. Touched a max speed of 165km/hr with her & felt a bit vibration, may be due to the road condition. You can hit the 140km/hr mark with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinosh Sam View Post
      Can I know your height if you dont mind please...This seems adequate space than a swift....
      Yeah. Of course... Figo got more leg room than the Swift(Older & Newer).

As I said am on the shorter side(5"3) but had rear seat passengers of 5"11 & they felt comfortable even on long trips.
      There is adequate space to stretch your legs below the front row seats even if you are of 5"11.
      The only issue for a 5"11 passenger will be that the rear seat belts won't be comfortable for them. It will almost run through their necks
      Last edited by camchennai; 15th Oct 2011 at 10:00. Reason: Merging back to back posts

Sedate...

Awesome

Today on the way to Office ODO crossed 17K. ODO reading 17001 Kms now.

ODO - 17001 Kms
      Trip - 121.4 Kms
      DTE - 489 Kms

For those who want to know about the FE of Figo 1.4 Titanium, I would like to pen down this.

Fuel - Normal Diesel
      Pump - HP

Made a Tank full(Auto cutoff) on Monday morning(4 days back).

Litres consumed - 38.05 Litres
      DTE reading before - 45 Kms
      Trip - Don't remember the no. exactly but it was nearing 600 Kms. More than 585 Kms.
      DTE reading after - 620 Kms

My daily run is around 30-32 Kms in City with mixed traffic. Can cruise in 60 Km/hr or more(Outer Ring Road) & those bumper to bumper traffic where the Flyover constructions going on & signals & some stop & go. On long waiting signals I used to switch off the engine.

Car is completely driven with a/c on. Only on two occasions I have rolled down the windows(that too 30%) & driven few kms. That is at Ootty & Yercaud.

DTE of Figo(don't know about other makes) varies a lot & you can't depend upon that.

Ford states as below...
      "DTE is an approximate figure which is greatly influenced depending on driving style and road conditions. Every time the vehicle is started, the average fuel consumption data over the last 500 km is taken as the reference to calculate the DTE based on the amount of fuel remaining in the tank."

And here is a link for the FAQ's on DTE
      http://www.drivingford.in/wp-content...07/DTE_FAQ.pdf

So I request the Figo Owners out here not to check your FE according to the DTE & do not complain about low FE. Tank full method will be the near accurate one. I am telling this from my Personal experience.

I learned few things from Ford, Chennai(over phone) & would like to share those here so that it will be helpful for Figo Owners & prospective buyers.

1) Figo tank capacity is 45 Litres(that everyone knows) out of which 7 Litres will be treated as Reserve.
      2) Even if the DTE shows 0, still you have a good amount of fuel(5-7 Litres) left in the tank. I request not to try this as it will harm your Car. I know people in FB who have driven their Car for 35+ Kms after the DTE showed 0.
      3) Fuel Sensor used for DTE calculation is kept at a position of 38 Litres & when the fuel drop below this the DTE calculation will go for a toss.

Apart from this I would like to add a few things which are common.

1) When you do a Tank full to the neck/brim, the Car will have more fuel than its fuel tank capacity cos the hose/pipe carrying the fuel will also hold the fuel.
      2) Driving habits, road condition & traffic conditions does matter the FE.

Please don't think am giving a lecture on the good driving techniques for better FE Many out here are well experienced than me & covered lot of miles. Just shared my knowledge & thoughts.

The FE is around 14-15 Km/Ltr in City with 100% A/C
      On highways I got around 18-19 Km/Ltr with 100% A/C & on consistent speed of 120+ Km/hr stretching up to 140 -160 Km/hr occasionally for few Kms.

My colleague who bought a Figo(1.4 Titanium) after me gets an FE of 21-22 Km/Ltr on highways with the Speed limit of 90Km/hr

And for those who is looking for a choice between the 1.2 & 1.4

When I bought the Car one year back Petrol was at 62 or something & the Diesel was at 41.
      Now after one year down the line Petrol jumped to 71 & the Diesel is at 44.

What matters is when you go to a pump how much you have to spend & how frequently you have to visit the pump.
      Just take the below example.

Diesel
      If I fill the tank for 40 litres, I have to pay 1760/-
      Petrol
      If I fill the tank for 40 litres, I have to pay 2840/-

Like that, a difference of 1080/- in every full tank.
      Now consider the FE of both.

Diesel
      We will consider the average FE as 17Km/Ltr
      Petrol
      We will consider the average FE of 14Km/Ltr

ODO reading 17000 Kms & considering 17Km/Ltr my Figo might have drunk 1000 Litres till now.
      So 1000 * 42(as the price varied form 41-44) = 42000/-

If it was Petrol my Figo might have drunk 1214.28 Litres till now.
      So 1214.28 * 66.5(as the price varied from 62-71) = 80749.62

A difference of 38749.62 in One year.
      What matters for us is how much you have to pay from your pocket every time you go to a pump. I believe most of us are salaried personnel's & per month expense does matter for us.

I have spend One lakh extra for the Diesel Variant but after 3 Years I will be benefiting from that. From then onwards I will call it as a gain.
      People use to say that for Diesel engines the maintenance will be more. But I believe those days are gone & the Diesel engines now are well refined & can perform for a longer time with much less maintenance.

As I said before, the 1.4 engine is a proved one in Fiesta. I know Fiesta's which have run 1 Lakh+ Kms.

And regarding Figo... My Friends Figo have crossed 50K Kms in 15 months or so recently & done with the 5th Service. He is pretty happy with the Car & the Service Cost too.
      People complain about the Ford Service Center & the mentality of the people out there. I strongly believe that it varies from Dealer to Dealer or Showroom to Showroom & the individuals out there. Till now am happy with Metro Ford, St.Marks Road.

So the choice is yours...
      Last edited by Evolution88; 13th Oct 2011 at 10:01.

Hastalavista
      Potential to GND

Awesome

Good writeup, Evolution88

Liked this bit a lot:
      Quote Originally Posted by Evolution88 View Post
      As it is GearHeads, lets start with the Gear itself
      And your vehicle looks red hot

Here's one question that I've wanted to ask all Figo-TDCi owners - how do you find the gearing, especially the 2nd gear in city driving? When I did a TD (ok, not one, 2-3), I found it difficult to crawl over a hump, with the engine tending to stall (it won't stall, thanks to the ECU) and had to shift down to 1st. Another question for you - what's your take on the frequently heard statement, "Figo doesn't have turbo lag"? Reason is, I did experience turbo lag, like any other similar turbo diesel. I found the car to be really really sluggish until it revs to ~2k RPM - after 2k, it's a rocket.
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Sedate...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
      And your vehicle looks red hot
      Thanku...

Here's one question that I've wanted to ask all Figo-TDCi owners - how do you find the gearing, especially the 2nd gear in city driving? When I did a TD (ok, not one, 2-3), I found it difficult to crawl over a hump, with the engine tending to stall (it won't stall, thanks to the ECU) and had to shift down to 1st.
      nimrod : That was the case before the First Service. After that it changed. I heard the same issue from my colleague too before his Car's First Service. My car have run 17K Kms now. On my daily routine I have to negotiate 20-30 speed breakers(Up & Down) & most of them are unscientific ones. All those speed breakers I used to maneuver in 2nd Gear only now a days. Used to drive over with less than 10Km/hr to avoid under body scratching. Car picks up well after the speed breaker too in 2nd Gear. And generally for Diesel variants you have to play clutch more compared to the Petrol variants. But I never felt stressed after the First Service. Now a days even am trying to negotiate small speed breakers in 3rd Gear.

Another question for you - what's your take on the frequently heard statement, "Figo doesn't have turbo lag"? Reason is, I did experience turbo lag, like any other similar turbo diesel. I found the car to be really really sluggish until it revs to ~2k RPM - after 2k, it's a rocket.
      Figo does have a Turbo lag, but very minimal. It's a sec or two max. Turbo kicks in at 1500-1600 RPM & not at 2000 RPM. Yup, If you are in the wrong Gear & RPM have gone down below 1500, the so called Turbo Lag you will feel. But if you maintain the RPM you will never feel it. For example, you have braked & came almost to a stand still & had downshift to 3rd Gear & then trying to move in the same Gear when the RPM was well below 1500, you will feel the Turbo Lag. But you can easily avoid that by downshifting to 2nd Gear.

Same is the case if you are climbing up a hill. You have to make sure that the RPM won't go below 1500. Otherwise its really hard. You have to come down to 1st Gear. No other way.

Sedate...

Awesome

Going to Metro Ford, St.Marks Road tomorrow. Any GearHeads going to be there?

Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information