• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An attempt to revise intake (BMC CDA CAI) on A-Star

Addicted to Diesel Torque!

Awesome

An attempt to revise intake (BMC CDA CAI) on A-Star

I have been contemplating on air in-take improvements for a while. Simple upgrade could be a stock replacement filter. Only cosworth has the SRF for A-Star. K&N is likely to release one soon. My stock mid and high range are excellent indeed but low end is little poor. I wanted a bit of extra grunt in low end and high end.

I'm also curious about just how well designed the OE equipment is on cars. New products always intrigue and interest me!! After a researching for a while, I purchased BMC CDA (Carbon Dynamic Air box), sourced from UK in hopes of getting an increase in air flow as well as make some extra horsepower. They say CDA reduces the heat soak and there by allowing Cold air to pass thru. Of course, the intake position is also important CAI installation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDA Box.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	526.7 KB 
ID:	57094

Name:	CDA Box1.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	676.6 KB 
ID:	57093

I was reluctant to install it myself but did the installation myself!!! I got a custom clamp made from a local lathe shop to secure it with the engine bay. I removed the stock air box with ease. I found the installation little tough in beginning; but it was all easy to do it. Now I could mount and unmount easily. I used the aluminum ducting initially to position near viper fluid pipe where the fresh could come and did some road test on NH7 and all the way to Nandi hills.

Name:	Stock Air Box Removed.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	57090

Name:	Stock Duct.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	57091

Name:	Alu Duct.jpg 
Size:	552.5 KB 
ID:	57092

Initial impressions:-

1) Throttle response was awesome compared to stock.
      2) Low end was hampered badly. In hairpins, I used to do with 2nd gear with ease; I had to downshift to 1st. In mild ghat, I used to do with 3rd; I had to do with 2nd with this setup. Pulling power on inclines suffered in general
      3) Mid range was average and but high end was awesome. Thanks to better throttle response. When I need power, simply floor the accelerator, the car responds. I touched a speed of 135+. I did not go beyond that.
      4) Performance with a/c is much better than stock.

Now I decided to use the silicone hose (70mm ID 45 degree elbow reducer (arm lengths 102 mm, 102mm) while coming back. IMO, the OE aluminum duct seems to be a bad setup.

Name:	Install1.jpg 
Size:	573.1 KB 
ID:	57095

Impressions:-

1) Throttle response continues to awesome compared to stock.
      2) Good improvement in low end power and torque seems to slightly better than the previous setup. Car coasts longer before it comes to standstill. Good to drive in bumper to bumper traffic.
      3) Mid range is affected in this setup. The stock mid range is excellent in my car. The stock suffers mostly in the low end.
      4) High end is unaffected.

Overall I feel a torque loss in low and power loss in mid range with BMC but high end (pulls a like a dream once past 50+ kmph) is superb compared stock. But there is no comparison of Throttle response with stock. Stock is sluggish and esp. huffs and puffs with a/c on in the low end. Stock seems to be a jack of all.

While starting and pulling from stand still the hose was striking against the brake fluid reservoir. I removed the oval clamp used for lifting the engine and now there is a good room for moving the hose.

Name:	Install2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	840.3 KB 
ID:	57096

I have ordered for 2 reducer hoses to create a funnel effect from UK; namely 76-63mm ID 45 Degree Elbow Reducer SILICONE HOSE (arm lengths:- 150mm, 150mm) and 80-70mm ID 45 Degree Elbow Reducer SILICONE HOSE (arm lengths:- 150mm, 150mm).

Waiting for them to try the next variation to see if there is any improvement in mid range; for now I feel that stock is better. I am also contemplating a dyno run to compare results and check if there is any significant drop in IAT.

Please let me know your expert thoughts and suggestions. I am still a novice hungry for more power!!

Special thanks SankarsupaCrank for helping all the way..

More updates to follow....
      It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Secret

Chandru, with the funnel shaped (and slightly longer) hose it would perform even better. In my car there is no contest between CDA and stock, CDA wins hands down in all areas. But our stock airboxes are not the same, so there is a chance that Maruti revised the airbox design to improve midrange in the newer design. But if you can get it dynoed then nothing like it and lay speculations to rest.

Awesome

Got the 80-70mm ID 45 Degree Elbow Reducer SILICONE HOSE (arm lengths:- 150mm, 150mm) from UK. Installed it and did a road test. Mid range is just like my stock. Throttle response continues to be awesome. With 2nd gear, I could pull up to 90kmph! More road testing to follow. I also bought K&N SRF for A-Star which I will use later for comparing the performance..

Name:	BMC CDA.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	983.2 KB 
ID:	57833

Name:	BMC CDA1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	57834

Please let me know if I can make further improvements with this setup.

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by revfriendly View Post
      Please let me know if I can make further improvements with this setup.
      This is where i have reached after trying out different intake hoses and different length intake sections. It can be improved further still, i had this idea in my mind to install a spacer between the intake manifold and the filter mouth. The length of the spacer should be the approximate length of the intake trumpet found inside the stock box. I'm sure that this would make it better. If a spacer of that much length isn't possible, as it would push the CDA towards the right, even a smaller one would make a difference. I didn't get it done so far since i'm slowly returning the car back to stock. But its easy all you need is one 63mm ID silicone connector and one 63mm OD pipe and two hose clamps.

Edit: How is the 2nd gear pull with stock airbox?
      Last edited by turbodiesel; 31st Oct 2011 at 19:55.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by supaCrank View Post
      Edit: How is the 2nd gear pull with stock airbox?
      stock 2nd gear could do 70kmph. I am driving to Yelagiri tomorrow (a mix of mild ghat and highway driving )with the BMC and see how it performs. I am also going to carry the K&N SRF with the stock airbox to check out for comparison. Dyno run is still in my mind. Checked with RRP. Dyno run costs 3000 per hour. found it very costly. I am still curious about actual nos. For optimal results, As you have suggested more variations to be tried.

Awesome

Came back from yelagiri yesterday. Low end and high end have significant improvements over stock. No denying that. I could achieve a top speed of 162kmph with BMC CDA. During high speeds, the induction noise was very nice to the ears! LOL! With stock, I could go upto 155 kmph. 2nd and 3rd gears seem to have a lot of power. I could pull with 3rd gear in hairpins(It is a mild ghat) just like stock provided I do not lose momentum.

But I am facing issue while shifting to 4th around 35 to 45 kmph ish speeds. The car is losing power noticeably esp. the pulling power is lost during this transition from 3rd to 4th. Also I noticed that the engine is knocking at this period and surges suddenly at steady throttle operation after some time. Looks the engine is running very lean(little fuel or more air) at this time. However if I continue to rev in 3rd past 50 kmph speed, i could shift to 4th comfortably without losing power. I shift to 5th after 60+ speeds and the car pulls amazingly well. With stock, I shift to 5th even at speeds of 40 and the car pulls effortlessly. Also during slow downs from high speeds, I can go upto 40 ish speeds with 5th gear and cruise from that point with stock. With BMC, I had to downshift to 3rd to get the momentum going. So the midrange is partially improved and partially lost with BMC; my stock still wins in mid range!

I am switching back to Stock with K&N and provide the results.

Awesome

I switched to K&N SRF and did some road tests with and without A/C. Sorry to say that there is NO difference in performance with my stock filter. May be it would last long but it is a waste of money i should say. only mental HP gains! Nothing is comparable to BMC's throttle response and my stock box's mid range with stock filter!! I also strongly believe that K&N is not a good investment. K&N costs 3100 (one time)+ oiling kit (800bucks) in my case. Assuming we change the stock filter every 10k kms and we drive the car for 1lac kms. total cost = 10 times change * Rs.180 per filter = 1800 and no maintenance involved. stock filter wins and of course, BMC is superior solution on hand compared to K&N SRF.

Secret

Too sad to hear that K&N didn't give you any gains. But when i tried Cosworth i found it to be better than stock. Will update my experience with K&N when i get it.

Make sure there aint no leaks after the filter in the manifold. CDA on mine doesn't give any of those problems like surges, knocking or power loss. The midrange is weak in mine, but no other problems.

To gain some midrange, i suggest you experiment with adding some length in the intake tract between filter and the stock filter connector. It sure will work.

Awesome

Too sad to hear that K&N didn't give you any gains
      I checked airbox and OE intake manifold for any leaks by starting the engine and asked my friend to give some throttle. It seems fine. However, I checked the K&N box and found a lot of oil streaks. Seems the oil has leaked from the filter. was it the new filter opened and re-packaged? The filter needs to be oiled? I will send some pictures tomorrow of this.

adding some length in the intake tract between filter and the stock filter connector
      r u referring to the OE intake manifold and BMC connection point? should I simply buy a small hose(coupling hoses? --> http://www.regals-motorsport.co.uk/s...ng-hoses-76mm/) to add some length?
      Last edited by revfriendly; 2nd Nov 2011 at 22:35.

Secret

K&N comes preoiled. No need to oil the filter.

Yes between OE and BMC. You will need a 60mm ID coupler hose and a 60mm OD pipe to extend the length.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information