• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Implement high security number plates for vehicles by March 31, 2012: SC to states

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

Implement high security number plates for vehicles by March 31, 2012: SC to states

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Thursday set March 31, 2012 as the deadline for states to implement the scheme for fixing high security registration plates (HSRP) in motor vehicles, while directing Delhi government to complete the process by this yearend.

"We extend the period for implementation of the scheme till December 31, 2011, by which date, all steps, complete in all respects, should be taken by the Delhi government," a bench of Chief Justice S H Kapadia and Justices A K Patnaik and Swatanter Kumar said.

The court asked Delhi Integrated Multimodal Transit System (DIMTS), which has been constituted by the Delhi government as a special purpose vehicle for overseeing transport in the Capital, to ensure that a single person is in charge of supervising manufacturing, affixation of seals, imprinting of numbers and affixation of HSRP on vehicles in the National Capital Territory of Delhi.

Like Delhi, Kerala and Manipur have also been directed to implement the scheme by December 31, 2011. West Bengal will implement the scheme by January 31, 2012 while Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Tripura will fully operationalise HSRP by February 29, 2012.

States and Union Territories given March 31, 2012 as deadline to implement HSRP are Bihar, Chandigarh, Jammu and Kashmir, Mizoram, Puducherry, Sikkim and Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The deadline of April 30, 2012 for implementation of HSRP was stuck on Assam, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Lakshadweep, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Punjab and Uttarakhand.

Himachal Pradesh and Nagaland will be the last among the states to implement HSRP by June 15, 2012. The apex court asked the high courts not to entertain any petition, as part of judicial propriety, in relation to implementation of HSRP.

It warned the defaulting states of contempt action. "In the event of default and non-compliance of any of the directions contained in this order by any authority, this court would be compelled to initiate proceedings against such officer/officers in accordance with the provisions of Contempt of Courts Act, 1971, without any further notice to them," said Justice Swatanter Kumar, who authored the judgment on behalf of the bench.

The court took exception to non-filing of affidavits by Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Goa and Karnataka, who cited pending litigation relating to tender process as the reason. Dadra and Nagar Haveli has not even initiated the tender process.

"For non-filing of affidavits, these states/UTs have already violated the orders of the apex court," the SC said and granted time till December 31 to file affidavits.

On the litigation relating to HSRP pending in various courts, the bench said, "In the interest of justice and to ensure proper implementation of the judgments and directions of this court, as contained in its various orders, in regard to manufacturing and affixation of the HSRP, it is imperative for this court to direct that it will be in the fitness of things and even judicial propriety would demand that no high court should pass any interim order cancelling or staying the tender process in relation to implementation of the scheme."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/11039969.cms
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

I hope they don't extend the deadline!!
      Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

Though I appreciate this exercise, I am more worried about the implementation aspect. What happens if vehicles miss that deadline?
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

Currenlty, I am using Ustav Plates. Do I have to change them also?
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

Traveling...

Awesome

A good way for traffic cops to become rich. I wish SC was more interested in safety related rules like having proper road signs, maintenance of even road surface, usage of seat belt and helmets more than implementing this piece of crap, which is nothing but a rule to milk more money out of all vehicle owners without any effective purpose.

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
      A good way for traffic cops to become rich. I wish SC was more interested in safety related rules like having proper road signs, maintenance of even road surface, usage of seat belt and helmets more than implementing this piece of crap, which is nothing but a rule to milk more money out of all vehicle owners without any effective purpose.
      to the above. I suspect that the traffic police will use this as a tool to harass the public and to milk money. I fail to understand the benefit of this whole exercise and what it aims to solve. There is one thing about having a law and another thing about how the law is implemented.
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Still, there is not much clarity on this . Definitely a money minting exercise for Cops.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

this is goin to be a lonf exercise, if successfully implemented. But is the govt serious about it?
      I remember some time back, the same was to be implemented, and few cars / bikes were sporting their version of the high security number plate ( having IND on the plate ).
      What would this number plate look like? Any idea? and what would be the cost?
      Anand

Traveling...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Anand_GA View Post
      What would this number plate look like? Any idea? and what would be the cost?
      I don't think it will look very different from this. This is my car, btw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car regn2.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	61348

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

One thing which I don't understand is what's the purpose of these plates? What these plates will achieve?

Most of the crooks are in parliament and in police station. The crooks work closely with the police. So, how this is going to help the common man? I don't understand. Can somebody help?
      Last edited by roadracer; 9th Dec 2011 at 15:42.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information