• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Initial impressions on my new i20 Magna

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Initial impressions on my new i20 Magna

CAUTION: Long read!
      After owning and driving a 2001 M800 and a 2005 Zen, we were on a lookout for a more spacious hatch. We could afford a sedan but it was out of question because I am a consultant and will have to tackle the bylanes of Hyderabad, where parking spots are scarce and traffic policemen who are willing to tow your car away are many.
      Our criteria were these:
      1. Spacious boot and ample space for a hatchback: Might look a bit funny as a main criteria but during our days with M800 and Zen, we had to pile up our passengers with our own version of “cabin luggage” and this was not something that we wanted to face again in the new one. Test drove and eliminated Ritz on these criteria while the Swift was placed as a possible criterion though we were not too impressed with the backseat comfort.
      2. Reliable A.S.S: I am a stickler for maintenance and cannot tolerate sub-standard service. This was a main reason why we stuck with Maruti all this time. Tata Vista (Cousin’s horrendous experience), Fiat Punto (Brother-in-law almost got a paralytic stroke after 2nd service) and VW Polo (No TD car sent even after 3 calls) were eliminated at this stage.
      3. Stylish (Wife’s criteria) with reasonable FE: This is where i20 came into the picture. I certainly didn’t want a boxy looking car giving me a good FE and was okay with a car giving me a reasonable FE which can be told to friends without them s******ing.
      4. Price in and around 6 lakhs: I am already servicing a home loan and had recently upgraded my workplace and certainly didn’t want to take another loan. I had a cash of 6lakhs ready and was not ready to pay a rupee more. Because we wanted a bigger hatch, this certainly meant taking a petrol one and I was okay with it.
      Even at this time I wanted to be with Maruti and was willing to forego criteria no 1 and stick onto Swift; I had done all but about to book a Swift when wifey in true lady-like fashion declared that the shopping was not over and dragged me into Lakshmi Hyundai next door.
      I liked the i20 the moment I saw it and when straight to the back to check out the boot. Was happy with what I saw. Sat down in the driver’s seat and was frankly super impressed with the quality of the build. Impressed my Wife too and we asked promptly for a TD. Car was not available then and they promised us a call as soon as the 1.2L magna version was available. Price was less than criteria 4 (5,92,000 on road).
      I was not a stranger to the i20. Two of my cousins own it and one, who is an architect, had completed 65k kms in a 2009 diesel i20 and I had driven it a couple of times myself. I was not sure about the petrol one. So the guys at Lakshmi give me a ring and sent me the 1.2L magna for a TD and I promptly drove it.
      My thoughts at this time were as follows
      What I liked: Great appearance, lovely interiors, light as a feather steering, good AC with climate control and solid build.
      What I didn’t like: Looooong clutch draw, A-pillar can block visibility at extreme curves.
      What could have been better but I could live with: The 1.2 is a tad underpowered and I realized it after driving for 2 kms. I have a very sedate driving style within city limits and rarely cross 100 kmph on highways and so I was okay with it. My use too was within city limts with occasional trips on the highways so didn’t worry about this much.
      What problems can I face: The classic Hyundai steering rattle. The net is rife with reports and while I won’t deny that the fact that i20s have had this problem before and few have had to sell their cars because of this, I still took it with a pinch of salt because of
      1. The 65k i20 that my cousin owns does not have it.
      2. If an occasional rattle from the steering when on bumpy roads or on speed breakers at crazy angles can be “dreaded” or “infamous”, I can live with it.
      3. Before I had planned to book mine I saw 3 brand new i20’s in my neighborhood which sort of reinforced my belief in the car.
      So went ahead and booked the car and received it in 10 days.
      First 1000 kms impressions:
      • It took me some time to get used to the clutch as opposed to the Marutis where practically putting a foot on the clutch is enough to engage gears.
      • The light steering is a big asset for city driving but can work against you on highways particularly if you are near 130 kmph.
      • Seating comfort is superb and there are lots of cubbyholes to take care of journey essentials.
      • Boot space is terrific for a hatch.
      • Completed 1000 kms during a up-down journey from Hyderabad to Raichur under trying conditions (Pouring rain, detour over horrible roads, heavy luggage…) but the car performed admirably vindicating my decision.
      • You will find reports on the poor performance of the AC. I vehemently deny this. I drive with the AC always on and try putting the AC at 20 C using climate control. I bet that you will yank it up to 24 in less than 10 minutes. Still not satisfied, then you must be a corpse waiting for a body freezer!!
      Kitna deti hai?
      13.5 KMPL with AC always (Climate control at 24 C) within city limits.
      I could achieve 19.5-20.5 during my trip from Hyderabad to Raichur by driving at 90 kmph with AC on as above.
      Current status:
      • Drive is smoother now.
      • The car tends to dance peculiarly over large potholes so I slow down on those.
      • First service a.k.a glorified washing went smoothly. No issues reported to the ASS.
      • I had got sunscreen installed and the beading was a bit loose on one of the windows. Took it to the ASS and was fixed.
      Pointers to prospective buyers from my purchase:
      1. Go for a higher version than the magna as they give you more power. This car is a tad underpowered. Because I drive with kids often, I have a sedate style of driving. You may not and might rue your purchase. Somebody put up a review elsewhere saying that he was not able to climb hills with this! I just finished a trip to Tirumala on this so that’s nonsense. On smaller state highways without dividers, you might have to plan your overtakes. My cousins high end diesel i20 goes like a missile but.
      2. Ignore the negative reviews on the ac unless you are a hyper thyroid patient, have a polar bear as a pet or have an Eskimo ancestor.
      I had done a couple of small DIYs and had installed chrome handle covers and DRLs. Pictures will be up soon.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

That's a nice review. Keep it coming!

meh.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
      Go for a higher version than the magna as they give you more power.
      Don't all petrol (manual) have 1.2 lt 80PS engine. Or does the asta and the sportz get a different tune of engine ?

I had done a couple of small DIYs and had installed chrome handle covers and DRLs. Pictures will be up soon.
      Looking forward to those.

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

first let me congratulate you on your amazing purchase, we have a few i20 owners here..being hyundai its vfm..

What problems can I face: The classic Hyundai steering rattle. The net is rife with reports and while I won’t deny that the fact that i20s have had this problem before and few have had to sell their cars because of this, I still took it with a pinch of salt because of
      that issue was phixd long back and does not happen in the cars manufactured in 2H 2011, if at all it happens you have free fix with the ASC..

Go for a higher version than the magna as they give you more power. This car is a tad underpowered.

same engine 1.2 in all variants..people who say you cant climb hills with it are n00b drivers..

p.s :
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

Rabid Dog Club
      Giving excuses!

Awesome

Well written review @ronon...I never felt it was a long read...it was indeed interesting

Hyundai ASS has always been better...till date the best service I have got is from Hyundai ASS and Toyota sucks when compared to Hyundai.

You get an impressive mileage....lucky you...

Ignore the negative reviews on the ac unless you are a hyper thyroid patient, have a polar bear as a pet or have an Eskimo ancestor.
      hmmm...there are always naysayers....

Toyota Camry MT|TATA Safari EX 4x2

Rabid Dog Club - bite first, bark later :-P

“The auto industry is not a charity that produces widgets for driving enthusiasts.”

StarScream
      You don't say...!!!

Awesome

5,92,000 on road
      OTR in Hyd for Magna P? That's a little steep!
      www.WordWorld.pw
      www.NFSpoet.blogspot.com
      www.facebook.com/NFSzone
      www.MeAgainstWords.blogspot.com

You call, I don't
      respond..NEUTRAL ! I call, you
      don't respond..YOU DIE !!

Awesome

ronin : Superb !! Feels good to read a rocking review about a car that is my personal favourite I have a soft corner for the i20 !! You bet, i20 rocks !!

Of course, I do agree that the i20 petrol (1.2L) would feel underpowered (I guess its the same engine that goes into the i10 1.2L Kappa ??) But the 1.4L is a flier !!

Not on GH anymore!

Secret

Initial impressions on my new i20 Magna
      Thanks ronin, Nice review. I have 1.2 Sportz (Dec 2010 model) and it has done 12500 KM.

It’s a great car for sedate / normal driving style and fun to drive on both city and highway. I had steering rattling issue around 7500 KM mark, Hyundai A.S.S replaced rubber bushes and it’s fixed for now.

13.5 KMPL with AC always
      I am getting same average between 13 and 14 Kmpl.

Quote Originally Posted by TannayK View Post
      Don't all petrol (manual) have 1.2 lt 80PS engine. Or does the asta and the sportz get a different tune of engine ?
      Gamma (Petrol) variant comes with 1.4 Ltr petrol engine which produces 100 PS of power.
      My Flickr - www.flickr.com/photos/103602929@N08

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

Good review ronin. Please share some pics as well. I presume that I20 and I10 share the same engine(for petrol variants). Good to hear that the steering rattling issues are not probably present in the recently manufactured models. Hope Hyundai had found a permanent solution for that problem. I think Hyundai should at least offer a higher capacity engine on the top end variant. I am not sure if I20 petrol is a hit or not though Hyundai manages to sell good number of I20 every month.
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Great Review Ronin and very well written. Waiting for Pics.
      AFAIK, all manual variants come with 1.2L Kappa engines only. Only the Auto Tranny comes with 1.4L petrol engine. I fail to understand, why Hyundai does not plonk this 1.4 in Manual also..
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information