• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: CYCLING - whats it for an oldie like me

Enjoying Bangalore rain and
      weather

Awesome

CYCLING - whats it for an oldie like me

This thread could be a repeat, but just penning my thoughts after the idea of cycling to workplace came up.

I have cycled during my school days and during college in the normal heavy iron cycles. I did have falls off it, scrached my elbow and knee.

Practicallity ensured we embraced the Lambretta, which was chucked aside for Bajaj 4S.

Now my son has a normal Indian Hercules MTB Thriller, which doesn't have the so called lifetime warranty on frame and warranty on brakes etc. Need to upgrade it with gears, tires and brakes, to make it more user friendly.

I am taking a break, to clean the acquarium, which was spending for long. Finished cleaning with help of Anirudh, who does the dirty job of cleaning the filter and mine is to clean the glass tank, pebbles, change the water and take out and put back the fish.

Back to the topic, which I am keying in with the lovely song on my lips " iiif you come today, its ok, iiif you come tomorrow, its too laate, you pick the time, tick,tick tick....., Dah lling...." by rajkumar from Operation diamond rocket. Nice pronunciation, like the locals call phenol as penol......

Just for the heck, I went around looking at cycles offered by many vendors below:

a. Decalthon: On a lazy Sunday evening, myself and Abhiram, younger sibling jsut went for a ride on my Dzire towards Sarjapur. On the way we saw the huge godown with parking and playgrounds. After a one km drive, we took an u-turn to explore this godown which later turned out to be the Daclthon opened two years back. Abhiram lightened up as he saw pitched tents (lived in them during his school outing as part of Nature club) and pestered me to buy one. Entered the building to see kids and adults driving / trying out cycles. These are Btwin models. price starts at 8K upto 35K+. A nice way to spend a lazy Sunday and dreaming of going on a trek with the goods sold by them. Planning to equip myself for a Sarjapur trek.

You need to be a member to buy things here. Its possible to get it in 30 mins if you fill in the form and provide documentation like Professional tax certificate or a VAT cetificate.

b. Meenakshi Mall- Hypercity store: As kids are on vacation and Abhiram recuperating from a bout of Jaundice, forced us to take small trips around the city. We entered Hypercity store to be greeted with Raleigh cycles, which were a rage during my childhood. There are some offers running till today. Price starts at 7K

c. Firefox @ Jayanagar: Yesterday picking up my Streak after service, I landed into Firefox stores to check the cycles. They start at 10.5K and they have also started selling Trek Cycles which start at 20K min, with prices going up for 2012 versions. Some reason to hike the prices by 2K-10K.

d. Bumonthesaddle @ Jayanagar. on lane Opp to Jayanagar telecom centre / exchange. I entered the stores which was just new and looked empty, probably for customers to try the cycles. Met Rohan and enquired about the cycles and he wanted to know how I came across the stores. I just said from www.gearheads.in . Price starts at 21K (2012 models) and goes up and up, depending you want a mud guard, a stand, a lock, helmet etc....

Felt nice meeting a young engineer turned entrepreneur, for pursing their passion of cycling.

But feel sorry for so many people who lost out being engineers because Rohan and his likes took their place (obviously merit ) to became engineers and later to chuck the engineering profession and become cycle vendors or into other unrelated professions like Amex call centre person in Phoenix (my classmate, topped UVCE, who chucked a lovely job at ISRO designing space batteries, to learn Oracle Financials and land up in Amex. Phoenix).

Back to my taking up cycling. I find it no sense to spend so much hard earned money on a cycle costing 20K-50K, just for lifetime warranty etc, when the existing cylce can be upgraded.

I will upgrade the existing one and try cycling and get ready for a 40 km round trip (three days a week).

So much for now. Will add on later, once I really do something on cycling.

ciao and Have a Nice Bash tonite.

Narayana
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

"Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u will never succeed, ignore it and walk in your own way....it will follow u.."

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by WOODSNAKE View Post
      Now my son has a normal Indian Hercules MTB Thriller
      nice. i had two of those till i was in my plus2.

Hastalavista
      Potential to GND

Awesome

Hercules MTB Thriller,
      A friend of mine had this one, while I used to have a BSA SLR Being light, i could pick up speed very easily in my bicycle. I would keep it at a friend's place on the way to school, catch a bus from home till his place, and then cycle to school. In the morning, it would be a sedate ride, while in the evening, I would cover the 3km odd stretch in some ten minutes, to board my bus home. That particular bus had very friendly crew, and the 11km trip was enjoyable. Those were the days... Brings back lots of memories!
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

http://i52.tinypic.com/4p
      MenTaL Powerrrrrrrrrr !!!

Hungry

I used to own a lot of cycles, addiction started when I was a kid, started out with a tricycle dasan- some local brand.... up untill 8 when I got a BSA Mongoose, learn't real cycling on that..
      then came the BSA SLR on my 12th birthday, well that was one amazing cycle, light frame, thin tires, but for some reason didn't like its frame (hurtin my ballz), so again at 15 got a BSA Scorpio, best cycle I ever had, used to do a lot of LED and horn mods on it..

one particular incident I remember, I used to take the cycle evenings to go for tution, once when I came back, I was stunned to find that the battery cartridge has been stolen, looked around like a crazy maniac for it on way back home, to find that some bugger had pulled it out under the seat.. next day fixed it up and did the usual stuff, but with a change, turned on a touch alarm with it (yeah was learning electronics back then, those funny hobby books), in midst of tution class, it started blaring, ran out to find that the kid living next door was vandalizing... me and 2 of my other friends back then, kicked his butt...

well about 5 years back from now, I lent the cycle to my driver who used to come from long, as I didn't use to cycle that much anyways (replaced by kinetic honda and bajaj boxer).
      The driver never returned and so did the cycle..
      SCROSS DDiS 220..
      Owner : Dream Audio

Hungry

I got my my first bicycle on 8th standard after returning from Boarding school. It was a Hercules MTB. Boy, it was a kids dream come true.
      Had installed aftermarket gears. A year and half later, it was stolen.
      I had no option but to ride my sister's BSA Ladybird. Had removed the basket, chain guard and birdie graphics to give it a boyish image. It was embarrassing. Later after a year I shifted to a 12 year old Kinetic Honda.
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      1996 Mercedes-Benz E220

2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2017 Isuzu D-Max V Cross: PX5 Android HU -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| Sony XM-GS4 | Kravchenko KAXBLTWT & HAT Legatia L6SE | Boston GT2125 | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | SounDigital SD250.1| Infinity REF1200S
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta

weather

Awesome

Wow, thanks Guys for pitching in with your memoirs.

Need to get the cycle to the mart to fix gears, shoes and brakes. Would happen only after my IIT, Guwahati visit next week and anxiously the trip across Brahmaputra.
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

"Success is like your own shadow, if u try to catch then u will never succeed, ignore it and walk in your own way....it will follow u.."

Awesome

Back to my taking up cycling. I find it no sense to spend so much hard earned money on a cycle costing 20K-50K, just for lifetime warranty etc, when the existing cylce can be upgraded.

I will upgrade the existing one and try cycling and get ready for a 40 km round trip (three days a week).

So much for now. Will add on later, once I really do something on cycling.
      Sorry but I dont get the logic behind this generic statement. You dont pay 20-50K for that warranty BS. Have you ever ridden a cycle which costs 20K? If not, please take a good test ride before making such statement. FYI, I rode a Hero MTB before upgrading for a brand called Schwinn(13K) and now Riding Defy2(55K) so I very well know the difference
      Please refer this if it interests you BikesZone - Cycling View topic - Want to buy a bike? READ THIS FIRST

Rohan@BOTS is my good friend and BOTS/Wheelsports are the two best bike shops in Bangalore who know their stuff.
      Akshay Prabhu Gaonkar

weather

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
      Sorry but I dont get the logic behind this generic statement. You dont pay 20-50K for that warranty BS. Have you ever ridden a cycle which costs 20K? If not, please take a good test ride before making such statement. FYI, I rode a Hero MTB before upgrading for a brand called Schwinn(13K) and now Riding Defy2(55K) so I very well know the difference
      Please refer this if it interests you BikesZone - Cycling View topic - Want to buy a bike? READ THIS FIRST

Rohan@BOTS is my good friend and BOTS/Wheelsports are the two best bike shops in Bangalore who know their stuff.
      Hi Akshay380, the statement pertains to my decision and is specific to my spending and hence is not generic. Its not about 20K or 55K cost of cycle, which I can well procure. But for me its not VFM or not worth the money spent. The difference is felt by you and it pertains to your choice, which you may receommend but cannot push it down our throats.

These cycles come from China and just have a brand name, which is not worth spending so much. I did ride these cycles both here & in Germany and know both their qualities. The one abroad is miles apart from China, especially made for Indian market.

Thanks for the link and recommending Rohan whom I have met. He is doing a good work of his passion for cycling and also his job of selling cycles.

ciao & enjoy cycling

Narayana
      Dzire Vdi 2010
      Matiz SD 2000
      TVS Streak 2009
      Kawasaki 4S 1995

Awesome

I did ride these cycles both here & in Germany and know both their qualities. The one abroad is miles apart from China, especially made for Indian market.
      Would you mind clarifying this bit please? Thanks in advance!

ust for lifetime warranty etc, when the existing cylce can be upgraded.
      And I still think this statement is generic because its much more than just lifetime warranty or upgrading parts
      Anyways lets enjoy our rides. To each, his own. Wish you a happy new year
      Last edited by akshay380; 2nd Jan 2012 at 07:46.
      Akshay Prabhu Gaonkar

Thread Information