• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Figo head lamps.

Have set the status now :)

Awesome

Ford Figo head lamps.

Hi,

My friend just bought a Ford Figo 1.4 EXi. The only thing that he is not happy about the car is its headlamps. I haven't really got a chance to take a look at the car, but I heard it a common complaint that most Figo owners have. He is thinking of getting the headlight bulbs upgraded, but on reading up on this I see upgrading the bulbs are not making any difference and the problem is with its reflectors. Now what are things that he can consider doing ? I am trying to help him and I have the following questions:

1. In case he is getting another set of bulbs, should he stick on the 55/60 W bulbs since that the wattage of the stock bulb.
      2. If he is going for a bulb with higher wattage, he has to change the relay unit ? And how much will it cost?
      3. Does going for a high wattage bulb (even with the relay change) will affect other electricals? Like, headlamps going low when increasing the audio volume.
      4. Like many other owners complain, is it really a problem with the reflector and changing the bulb is not going to help? (Any figo owners who have done this?
      5. How much does the whole reflector assembly change is going to cost?
      6. Or would it be just his head-beam leveler set too low?

Help

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWithTheFiat View Post
      1. In case he is getting another set of bulbs, should he stick on the 55/60 W bulbs since that the wattage of the stock bulb.
      Will help to a large extent. He can go for 90/100

2. If he is going for a bulb with higher wattage, he has to change the relay unit ? And how much will it cost?
      A separate wiring harness will be provided with the new kit. It will cost around 900-1000/- for the whole set.

3. Does going for a high wattage bulb (even with the relay change) will affect other electricals? Like, headlamps going low when increasing the audio volume.
      No.
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Hastalavista
      Potential to GND

Awesome

In case he is getting another set of bulbs, should he stick on the 55/60 W bulbs since that the wattage of the stock bulb.
      I suggest upgrading to 100/90W bulbs

If he is going for a bulb with higher wattage, he has to change the relay unit ? And how much will it cost?
      Not change the relay, but install one. AFAIK, the stock wiring doesn't contain a relay. A wiring kit + ceramic holders + bulbs would cost you around 1-1.5k. Hella is a good brand.

Does going for a high wattage bulb (even with the relay change) will affect other electricals? Like, headlamps going low when increasing the audio volume.
      Not much. However, it's plain physics that a 130/110W bulb draws twice as much power as a 65/55W stock bulb. Hence, leaving the headlamp on with the engine off is more risky than before.

If you want more light, then consider projectors, or adding aux lamps. Does the EXi come with fogs fitted? I don't think so. Get a set of fog lamps, replace the OEM bulb with a projector kit, like the Amritas P8.

As far as the other points are concerned, Evolution88 and other Figo owners can comment better.
      Last edited by silversteed; 25th Jan 2012 at 13:38.
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Sedate...

Awesome

As nimrod said, you can ask your friend to go for the Fog lamps. It solves the issue up to an extend. But I believe the issue is more with the High Beam which makes Highway driving difficult. There Fog lamp won't come to your rescue.

First of all check that the Headlamp leveller is kept to 0 which is the max high position. You can also ask the Service Center mechanic to increase the height of the Headlamp manually & watch it if you have access to their workspace. I used to do so. Try adjusting the headlamp leveller inside the cabin to the comfort level.

I used to keep the leveller position to 0 & headlamp height increased manually as per my request. Drivers of the vehicle coming opposite are using the Dipper if am on a Service road or so with only headlamps on in Low Beam. Figo headlamp is not that bad. I use the Dipper back to show that am in Low Beam & to avoid cursing.

Regading changing the headlamps if you consult Ford Service Center, they will say Warranty Void or they will say they won't recommend. They will suggest you to go for Philips White Streak bulbs which are available in the Service Center & Ford's solution for the headlamp issue. As they say there is certainly an increase in visibility, I doubt the same in rainy season. tadukuttan & kb100 can comment more on this.

One of my friend who owns a Figo changed to Philips XtremeVision. He said there is a slight increase in the amount of light generated but don't expect some magic from it. One of his friend changed to Osram( may be Night Breaker but not sure ) gives better performance than Philips but its life is a question.

I wanted to change my Colorado Queen's headlamps & last Saturday during the 20K Service had a chat with the Service Center Manager & GM there. I wanted to switch to Philips XtremeVision or Osram Night Breaker of the same spec as the stock bulbs. i.e., 55/60W 12V H4. I said my "wish" to the Service Center Manager & he asked me to check with the GM. I spoke to the GM & he recommended Philips White Streak bulbs which I don't want to give a try. He said the bulbs which I said will generate more heat, which I do agree & fear whether the wires will catch fire. Are they not using Havells?

Now I asked about the extra wiring & relay & there comes the very famous dialogue "It will void warranty" followed by a smile which I was expecting & I laughed out.

Now either I can go with the bulbs I wanted to without their knowledge & if something goes wrong I have to bear with it. Hope they won't catch if nothing goes wrong.
      Or can keep void warranty statement away & think of an extra wiring & relay.

Similar decisions you can make. @DudeWithTheFlat, as you said, upgrade may not solve the entire issue as everybody said earlier there is something wrong with the reflector design. I am not that educated in this to comment on that though.
      2010 Ford Figo TDCi Titanium - CODE 6 Tuned - Our Colorado Queen :-)
      2012 Skoda Laura Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG - Our Czech Princess :-)
      "Taking your seat is so easy. Leaving it, however, never is." :-) - Courtesy BMW 3 Series

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

go for 55W HIDs. Lots of light everywhere. Just make sure that High beam is not used unnecessarily and the beam is levelled right.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution88 View Post
      "It will void warranty"
      Buy a PMP/Hella/Bosch wiring harness and a pair of Philips Rally 100/90 bulbs - its a plug and play install (remove the caps on the back of the headlamp assembly and keep them in a safe place - don't make holes in them to route the wires). When you are going in for service - remove the bulbs and harness and install stock bulbs and the caps on the headlamps !

The removal/fitment of the harness would take about 15 to 20 mins max !

Have set the status now :)

Awesome

I used to keep the leveller position to 0
      Just spoke to him. He had his leveller to '0' and he is happy with the light Thanks Evolution.

@DudeWithTheFlat
      Its 'DudeWithTheFiat' . Fiat, not Flat
      Quote Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
      When you are going in for service - remove the bulbs and harness and install stock bulbs and the caps on the headlamps !
      That is cool. May be after some more night drives, if he start feeling that lights are not good again, then I think this is his best option.

Thanks shishirbn and nimrod . I will show him this thread and will ask to get registered

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Safest option.. not necessarily more effective. Anything 'white' or 'blue' sill actually degrade visibility. The bulbs are very expensive - almost 6-8 times that of a halogen upgrade.

He needs to look at the company relay. (nimrod - ALL cars have relays..without this no in-cabin switchgear can survive. The issue is they may be of a lower rating to handle the OE current draw requirements.) Some cars come with a beefy relay and wiring. But I would ALWAYS suggest using a wiring kit.. it isolates your headlamps from the rest of the vehicles electricals.

NO - if it does the battery is on its way out - or the alternator is not able to supply rated juice.

4. Like many other owners complain, is it really a problem with the reflector and changing the bulb is not going to help? (Any figo owners who have done this?
      I have not heard this - maybe other Figo owners can comment.

5. How much does the whole reflector assembly change is going to cost?
      How do you mean? What will changing a reflector do - How will another Figo headlamp assembly help improve anything unless this one is shot!? (Unless you mean changing the reflector inside the headlamp assembly - not possible and not advised either)

6. Or would it be just his head-beam leveler set too low?
      Can help a bit - but if it has bad throw there is nothing much you can do with it.

Upgrading to a 100/90 with a wiring kit and relay cannot and will not void your warranty. (If so you should not be able to add ICE to your car!). As long as you dont CUT any company wiring they will have to honour the warranty regardless of anything the dealer may say! To my mind this is the way to go . There are no good H4 bixenon bulbs - I am yet to see one which is better than a 100/90 halogen - esp high beam.
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

StarScream
      You don't say...!!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
      consider projectors
      Are projectors plug and play? Or would that require modding the lamp and opening it up?
      www.WordWorld.pw
      www.NFSpoet.blogspot.com
      www.facebook.com/NFSzone
      www.MeAgainstWords.blogspot.com

Hastalavista
      Potential to GND

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      ALL cars have relays..without this no in-cabin switchgear can survive
      Oh I said it too fast. I meant to write this too:
      Quote Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
      they may be of a lower rating to handle the OE current draw requirements
      Quote Originally Posted by nfspoet View Post
      Are projectors plug and play? Or would that require modding the lamp and opening it up?
      HIDs with Projectors require ballasts and their own assemblies. It's not as easy as pulling out the OE bulbs and pushing them in there.
      Calling the Projector/HID experts - kb100 & XenonPro for the
      Last edited by silversteed; 26th Jan 2012 at 11:51.
      What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information