• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I sell the 4x4 Safari and get the 2012 Fortuner?

Lost and clueless

Awesome

Question Should I sell the 4x4 Safari and get the 2012 Fortuner?

As a few of our members here are already aware, I am having nothing but issues with my 2010 Safari 4x4 VX which was delivered to me in September 2010. Most of these issues were not very serious and were sorted out by the TASC themselves or in some cases, I had these sorted out though the intervention of the Regional Manager at TML. My issue has not been the minor issues, for which I was already mentally prepared before I got the Safari. I am now having sleepless nights due to a failed ABS system in the 4x4 which apparently is unexplained by the SA who specializes in the Safari at my TASC. Please note that this is the only TASC in the state of Meghalaya and as such, monopolizes and is in the habit of fleecing their customers. If I need to move to a different TASC, I have to take the vehicle to Guwahati which is not feasible for me at the moment.

I won't bore you with the entire sequence of events here and for reference, this thread may be seen.

For me, its absolutely essential that I have a vehicle which is trouble free which does not require me to think twice before embarking on a journey. Also, it should be reliable in such a way that it does not require me to keep visiting the service centers for getting small niggles fixed and only expects me to visit them for the scheduled services. Soon, I am to start work on a new commercial complex in Shillong and this will see me regularly taking the NH40 to Guwahati and this can happen at odd hours and I cannot be expected to be stranded due to a faulty vehicle. After considering this over the past month or so, I have considered the following:

1. Give the Safari and the TASC another opportunity and in the process, hope that they fix the vehicle for good. However, as my experience has been with TML in general and this TASC in particular since May 2010 (I have an Indica which was purchased on the 20th May, 2010), I don't think they will learn and chances of them giving me a trouble free vehicle are close to zero. Moreover, I don't think the TASC is at fault here. I was most probably handed a lemon in the form of the 4x4 looking at all the issues that are cropping up.

2. Sell the 4x4 now after getting it rectified (albeit, temporarily till the next set of niggles show up, which again is a matter of luck). In this process, I am set to loose a couple of lakhs. However, the setback won't be by much considering the fact that in September 2010, the regn. charges in Meghalaya were a mere 8000/- Rupees and since November last year, this has been raised to 4% of the invoice value of the vehicle which in effect, makes the 4x4 VX about a lakh costlier on road than it was when I had bought it. By my estimation and also as per camchennai, my 4x4 should fetch me close to 10 lakhs. If I get the right buyer, maybe I can get a little more for it.

If go with option 2, I am planning to get the 2010 Toyota Fortuner in 4x4 which has a current waiting time of 2-3 months in my city. I know that the Fortuner is 22 lakhs OTR which is almost twice as much as my Safari but I am prepared for that. I will then get the bullet proof reliability of Toyota and hopefully, won't have to keep running to their ASCs to small niggles fixed.

So friends, what should I be doing and had you been in my shoes, what would you have done?

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
      So friends, what should I be doing and had you been in my shoes, what would you have done?
      i would move on. there are few good vehicles in the range of 20 to 25L

1. 2012 Toyota Fortuner. - refreshed looks, available in Manual 4wd and 2wd Auto transmission. Looks like a Mini Prado. Good re-sale value.
      2. Ford Endeavour - available in 3.0L 4x4 Automatic transmission. only niggle is rear suspension is LS and mileage. new updated version should be out end of 2012. so suggest to stay away from this.
      3. Chevrolet Captiva - refreshed looks and interiors, probably a better performing engine.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Give the Safari and the TASC another opportunity and in the process, hope that they fix the vehicle for good.
      Give the safari to another TASC with good reviews and get it fixed up and buy a used but unabused TFORT

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by agn View Post
      used but unabused TFORT
      the Old fortuner is already phased out. if he buys that now he will still pay a heafty price for it because new Fortuners still have a decent waiting period. after that he will be second owner and will lose more on resale value when he plans to sell it later on.

i would suggest to pay the extra 2 or 3 lakhs and get the new one. the Safari 4x4 he can give away in exchange for the New fortuner and that way get a better price from the company itself. no jhanjhat of selling to a person.,

Lost and clueless

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      1. 2012 Toyota Fortuner. - refreshed looks, available in Manual 4wd and 2wd Auto transmission. Looks like a Mini Prado. Good re-sale value.
      I am in favor of the Toyota not because of the resale value but because of their reliability. When I got the Safari, I was not really interested in the resale value of the vehicle. If the vehicle would not have issues, I would keep it for life. No question of selling it. As such, I am not even looking at any other vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by agn View Post
      Give the safari to another TASC with good reviews and get it fixed up and buy a used but unabused TFORT
      I have already reasoned why I am not in a position to go to another TASC. Also, in my region, we don't have anyone selling a used Fortuner and as Godfather has mentioned, the new Fortuner is a better buy for a couple of lakhs extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
      i would suggest to pay the extra 2 or 3 lakhs and get the new one. the Safari 4x4 he can give away in exchange for the New fortuner and that way get a better price from the company itself. no jhanjhat of selling to a person.,
      I will inquire if the dealership here have this option. If this happens, its most convenient for me.

Thought Process

Awesome

nowdays any damn car can have minor niggles and failures. be it skoda, VW, merc or any car. agreed toyota is more reliable but definitely not bulletproof.

i can see if you sell your almost brand new safari , you will incur loses.

yes safari is a car which has minor niggles but not major ones. if you have good technicians the niggles wont recur.

but if you are ready to spend whatever amount it may cost you in exchange then definitely fortuner is lot better car than safari off course with a price.

Lost and clueless

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Italia-Linea View Post
      yes safari is a car which has minor niggles but not major ones. if you have good technicians the niggles wont recur.
      I have been living with minor niggles since day one. However, what is prompting me to take this step is the fact that the SA tells me that he does not know why brand new ABS sensors are failing in the vehicle. Also, please note that we have 2 Safari VXs which were bought on the same day. We are keeping the 4x2 and only selling the 4x4. The 4x2 does have its share of "minor" niggles but nothing as of today which will prompt us to sell that one too.

Thought Process

Awesome

what is prompting me to take this step is the fact that the SA tells me that he does not know why brand new ABS sensors are failing in the vehicle.
      this is exactly what is not convincing me to sell my car. i wouldnt rely on the SA. they are very moody people.
      if a thorough analysis is arranged for this problem things can be sorted out.

may be there is a short somewhere, or the ground wire in circuit not proper. or reverse current flow etc may cause sensor damages.

Lost and clueless

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Italia-Linea View Post
      this is exactly what is not convincing me to sell my car. i wouldnt rely on the SA. they are very moody people.
      if a thorough analysis is arranged for this problem things can be sorted out.

may be there is a short somewhere, or the ground wire in circuit not proper. or reverse current flow etc may cause sensor damages.
      While I agree with what you say but the TASC we have here tries to operate as a cartel. The SA and the Service Manager are the face for any Service Center. If these are making such statements, how can I rely on this vehicle? Also, I suggest you go through the other thread which I have linked to in the first post to get a glimpse of what I have been through for this vehicle. Will help you judge my TASC better.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Take the car to a different service centre. It works. I had a dead powersteering within a month of buying the Indigo eCS, got it fixed, died again, got it fixed, died again, changed service centre, got it fixed, working properly now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information